USA Licence Identity?

chris86uk

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My SN95 was exported to England in 1998 and I'm wondering if any of you guys in America could advise me if there are any online vehicle identity check services where you can use the chassis number to find info about the car, primarily the licence plate number?

I'd love to get a plate made up for it with its original number on.

Thanks

Chris

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That would be kind of interesting. Someone who worked for the Motor Vehicle dept or Police might be able to find that info out. Not sure if we have any DMV employees on here.

Royal96

Reaction score
I don't know of any database or website that could easily get you that information

However, it's worth noting that here in the US, license plate numbers change every time the owner changes, unlike the system I believe Great Britain has that the license plate stays with the car (Or maybe I'm mistaken). So really, by getting the same license plate the car originally had, you'd just be getting the same number as the original owner got, which unless it was a personalized plate, was just whatever was on top of the stack at the DMV that day.

OP
OP
chris86uk

chris86uk

Reaction score
I don't know of any database or website that could easily get you that information

However, it's worth noting that here in the US, license plate numbers change every time the owner changes, unlike the system I believe Great Britain has that the license plate stays with the car (Or maybe I'm mistaken). So really, by getting the same license plate the car originally had, you'd just be getting the same number as the original owner got, which unless it was a personalized plate, was just whatever was on top of the stack at the DMV that day.

Yeah, you're right, over here the plate stays with the car permanently. I wasn't sure but I did think in the US the plate changed with each owner change.

As the car was only 2 years old when it came over here, I'm guessing whoever exported my car purchased it from the original owner. I don't mind that the number belonged to the owner and not the car, I'd just like to have a plate with the licence the car had when it was new. I know the car came from Lewis Ford in Memphis, but that dealership is closed so contacting them isn't an option.

There must be a record somewhere, I just don't know where to look.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
DMV would really be the only one that could get that info to my knowledge. The plate is attached to the driver, not the car. A dealership wouldn't know what plate got put on it.
In Canada I don't think I could get that info. I've paid for history reports and the only tell you how many owners its had and the location it was registered and any claims. There's no personal info such a name or plate.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My SN95 was exported to England in 1998 and I'm wondering if any of you guys in America could advise me if there are any online vehicle identity check services where you can use the chassis number to find info about the car, primarily the licence plate number?

I'd love to get a plate made up for it with its original number on.

Thanks

Chris

Yeah, you're right, over here the plate stays with the car permanently. I wasn't sure but I did think in the US the plate changed with each owner change.

As the car was only 2 years old when it came over here, I'm guessing whoever exported my car purchased it from the original owner. I don't mind that the number belonged to the owner and not the car, I'd just like to have a plate with the licence the car had when it was new. I know the car came from Lewis Ford in Memphis, but that dealership is closed so contacting them isn't an option.

There must be a record somewhere, I just don't know where to look.

Royal is right on. The number here is not the cars identity but the owners identity. Finding the exact plates that were on it new will be next to impossible minus tracking down the first owner, introducing your self, hoping he/she hung-on to the plates all these years, and if all this lines up you still have to convince him/her to give it to you. Also, The dealer you mentioned, even if it still existed, has nothing to do with our plates. We get our registration and plates from the Department of Motor Vehicle, they will not help.

Your best bet is to buy a 1997-1998 tennessee license plate from ebay, Heres one http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-TENNES...668897?hash=item25ba1417a1:g:UvMAAOSwjMJXDET0

Good luck

OP
OP
chris86uk

chris86uk

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone, sounds like it's a bit of a lost cause, pity.

As for the dealer thing, I just thought they might have a record, aren't they registered when the owner collects the car? That's how it works over here anyway.

lutter94

Reaction score
The dealer would have info on who bought it. Could help. When it leaves the dealer it has a thirty day sticker in the window. You then take it to your local dmv and pay both sales tax and registration at that time.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As for the dealer thing, I just thought they might have a record, aren't they registered when the owner collects the car? That's how it works over here anyway.

I know in Canada you buy the car, go get insurance and registration/plate, go back to the dealership, slap on the plate, drive away. The dealership would only know your name, the vehicle and vin. They have nothing to do with the plates other than their own dealership plates (which stay at the dealership for test drive/transport of vehicles).

lutter94

Reaction score
New law in SoDak. If you sell your car, you keep the plate. Put that plate on your car that is replacing the one you just got rid of. Before that, the plate left with the car.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't know any States made you transfer the plate with the car. In NJ your tag is yours and gets transferred to the new car or turned back into the DMV.

Royal96

Reaction score
In Ohio you can either transfer the new plates or do whatever you want with them. They usually end up on a nail in the garage.
Though I think I'm going to start transferring plates just in case Ohio decides to go back to another horrendous looking design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online