V6 1/4 mile car.... worth it?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Can you build a reliable high boost capable combo off the 3.8/4.2 platform? Do they handle boost well when forged? Any head gasket sealing issues?

Only reason i'd consider building one was to race at Import Events and spanking a few unsuspecting fools on test and tune nights.
Cost not being a factor...is there any 600+rwhp Turbo V6 Mustangs?

How are the OHC V6's?

Marvin97

Reaction score
Here's a local v6, he posted this vid and said " Here is the video. We are experiencing some spark blow-out, but the MSD should take care of that. It will be easily in the 9's once we take care of some stuff and I learn how to drive it......"- Tom Shine

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

hottwheels04

Reaction score
good power, the v6's and 96+ 2 valves do very good with forced induction!

those sound like trackers deff sound like crapbut good numbers non the less lol

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
95gtjeff said:
good power, the v6's and 96+ 2 valves do very good with forced induction!

those sound like trackers deff sound like crapbut good numbers non the less lol

most of the ones posted were running open cut-outs without cats, thats why they sound like crap... mostly

OP
OP
DropTopPony

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think they sound good with the Turbo. That is something i will definitely consider when it comes time to build my race car. It would be fun to not just spank Ricers but when they cry you have a V8 pop the hood so they can cry more.

Cost would be less too, V6 cars can be had for nothing.

hottwheels04

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
I think they sound good with the Turbo. That is something i will definitely consider when it comes time to build my race car. It would be fun to not just spank Ricers but when they cry you have a V8 pop the hood so they can cry more.

Yeah I would love to either do a super coupe built 3.8 supercharged motor in a 94-98 v6 sn95
or do a big single Turbo on 1986 sv0 2.3 turbo car
or do a turbo 99-04 v6 car

smoke some ricers and show them we dont need a v8 to smoke them we just prefer the sound and v8 more :)

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
95gtjeff said:
DropTopPony said:

Yeah I would love to either do a super coupe built 3.8 supercharged motor in a 94-98 v6 sn95

smoke some ricers and show them we dont need a v8 to smoke them we just prefer the sound and v8 more :)

i cant wait until the day that i can actually afford stuff for my car.

she shall make people do double takes :)

hottwheels04

Reaction score
atlanticblue98 said:
95gtjeff said:
DropTopPony said:

I hear you, you should look into the 3.8 sc from the super coupe, theres a few guys on here doing that setup

a guy I kno has a 500hp super coupe thing is nasty all custom and spent alot of $ and time but its nasty! :headbang:

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
95gtjeff said:
atlanticblue98 said:
95gtjeff said:
DropTopPony said:

I hear you, you should look into the 3.8 sc from the super coupe, theres a few guys on here doing that setup

a guy I kno has a 500hp super coupe thing is nasty all custom and spent alot of $ and time but its nasty! :headbang:

power-wise, im planning on a port and polished Splitport swap, cam, Longtubes, and intercooled Procharger.

should make 350rwhp.

god knows when that will be though lol

shine1stang

Reaction score
97whitevert said:
Here's a local v6, he posted this vid and said " Here is the video. We are experiencing some spark blow-out, but the MSD should take care of that. It will be easily in the 9's once we take care of some stuff and I learn how to drive it......"- Tom Shine

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Yes thats my father! I also now have a 10 sec v6 mustang! This is my run from sept 1st this year
M2U00375
Im still running a stock style upper intake, with ported heads, forged pistons/rods, stock 3.8 crank, and a 61mm turbo at 21psi
We are currently building a drag race v6 specific car for a buddy over in norway as well. Plan on seeing another low 10 sec v6 mustang next year

P51CrazyHorse

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
Worth it?

Only you can really answer this question. Is it really worth it to YOU? Would you like to have a car that's not terribly common? I always enjoy seeing people build their projects in different ways (even if said way might have been done before). A boosted V6 Mustang was actually one of the ideas I toyed with before I wound up getting such an insanely good deal on my 302 H.O.

I may still wind up buying another SN95 to do the SC swap in, just because I think it's cool. Basically, if you want to do it, and have the ability (and money) I say do it.

godsrods

Reaction score
It is all about what you enjoy. You can make anything fast (I know a guy who used to drag race a boosted colt for cryin out loud). Your car should be an expression of you your personality your interests do what you want to do piece by piece if need be but make the car you want.

Reaction score
Make it about you. Not what other people expect it to be. I Get plenty of people always saying "you should put a 5.0 or whatever" My answer always is "you gonna pay for the swap and the gas?" and shuts them right up. For me i love to do a turbo set up. That's what i plan on later down the road. My mustang has been in my family for 11 years since my mom bought it brand spanking new in 98' & she handed to me so for me it has a lot of sentimental value. Good luck with that :headbang:

jthorn9

Reaction score
V6s make great track cars, however be prepaired to spend a lot of money. You can do some things cheaply but generally all of your parts are going to have to either be modified by you (ported/polished/etc.) or you'll have to buy them from a hand full of places and pay out the wazoo. You can also do the split port swap and get an intake adaptor plate for the M-112 and instead put in a Whipple or Kenne Bell supercharger for some outstanding performance, or you can get a turbo and pay a shop to custom fab the piping and chrome/ceramic/polish the pipe for weather resistance, and again, it's going to be pricey.

Put it this way, I had a 98 V6 and traded it in for a 5.0 because I didn't like the uphill battle cause I don't have an unlimited income, but if I did, and was building a track car, I would deffinitely build up a V6 because they're a strong block, and have a slight weight advantage over V8s. I'd do either that or a stroked 351 (95 and earlier) or put in a terminator engine (96+).

shine1stang

Reaction score
dave1989 said:
i think v6s are ticking time bombs correct me if im wrong

Please elaborate on that? Ive been beating my car at the track for 2 years now. Ive only had a few small problems. The v6 has been proven to hold its own as far as power is concerned. There are a few that are over 600 hp, and at least one over 700 hp. Myself having a small 61mm turbo either plan to upgrade turbos this year, or thro more boost with some alky injection. I should b close to 600 at the wheels by the end of spring as well.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
dave1989 said:
i think v6s are ticking time bombs correct me if im wrong

That is the stupidest comment ive ever heard just so you know.

The 3.8s are relatively strong stock but can be built to handle a lot of power.

IMO, If your gonna spend the money building something you might as well build a 4.6 or 5.0.

a built v8 can handle more power than a built v6, its only natural.

Ive always heard the stock 3.8 internals are only reliable up to about 350 rwhp but I dont research into that much]

a turbo built 4.6 can easilly throw down 800 hp if you want it to

theres guys with little ol s trim vortechs putting over 500 hp to the wheels with 4.6s just so you guys know

one guy had 521 rwhp with blower cams and like 15 psi on his stock motor 4.6...I believe its still running somehow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Canaryonvskf’s

Members online