Teksid 2V project updated 1/19/14 post 33

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it seems that I have a lot of catching up to do with you guys. For those of you that may or may not remember, I had my car apart this past winter doing some painting and detailing stuff under the hood, and I ended up getting a set of Cushman Stage 3 N/A cams while everything was apart. So I get the car all back together this spring and fire it up. The cams sound nasty and everything is good. After the car warms up, I start to hear a tick. Now last fall I heard a slight tick develop over the last month of driving the car, and I assumed that it was an exhaust leak, because I welded in cut outs into my H pipe, and the covers kept blowing out the gaskets. So over the winter I bought an X pipe, and the ticking got worse this year, so I knew that it wasn't that. The tick was coming from the rear of the passenger side valve cover and it was decently loud in the wheel well. So I assumed that it had to be one of two things...an exhaust gasket, or an infamous lash adjuster tick. Ok, no problem, I run up to Summit, buy 8 new lash adjusters and use a spare set of header gaskets on that side. I get everything installed, fire it up, and still ticking...awesome. At this point I can only assume that it has to be a rod bearing. Everyone that I explained the noise to said that's what it has to be. Ok, so motor comes out. I get the shortblock up on the stand and start pulling main and rod caps...no spun bearings. Now mind you, this is the first bottom end that Ive ever built, and I never plastigaged or checked any sort of clearances when building it...I was just trying to see if I could do it, so when the talk of bearings came up, I wasn't surprised because I figured that something had to let go sooner or later after 3 years of beating the hell out of it..lol I was more surprised to see that even though I had a good amount of wear on the bearings, none were spun. So at this point Im lost. Everything looks good, and now Im starting to doubt if its even the motor making the noise...what if its something in the tranny and I just pulled the motor out and tore it down? So I go in the house, and after racking my brain, I decide to go out and start tearing my heads apart. I never gave the heads much thought because they are 3 year old Trick Flow heads with under 5K on them, no boost, no N2O, and not getting reved to the moon because I still have a somewhat stock bottom end. Well I pull the intake valve where the noise was coming from and holy CRAP! I find a valve guide that is not only split in two places, but its opened up so much that I could wiggle the valve around 1/4", no joke. So I pull the rest of the valves out and check all the guides. They all have some play in them, but nothing like this bad one. So I call Gregg at Trick Flow and tell him what I found. He also sounded very surprised and told me to bring them up asap. So this past Friday, I ran the heads up to Trick Flow and dropped them off. Im hoping to hear something back this coming week. So with that being said...I am going to start yet another build for the car. Since I would have reringed and donr new bearings in my iron block anyways, the wife said "well maybe this is a sign that you should build that Teksid block that's been sitting in the garage for years." I never really thought about it, but heck, why not? So I dug the block out of the corner, threw it on a stand, and started getting a plan together. What Im going to do isn't anything crazy, but it will be nice and stout. Basically a rundown of the build will be as follows:

Teksid block bored .020" over, block decked .006
New OEM cast crank de-burred and enlarged oiling holes from Modmax with King bearings
Modmax 4340 forged rods with King bearings
Keith Black forged pistons (-10cc) with Total Seal file fit rings from Modmax with a C.R. of 11.6:1
TSS billet oil pump gears
3V full length windage tray
Canton oil pan
Im upgrading to the 125lb. valve springs from the Trick Flow R head
Im going to degree my Cushman Stage 3 N/A cams

I plan on keeping the plastic intake for now just for moneys sake, but eventually will upgrade to the Eddy or new Street Burner intake from Trick Flow. Im also gapping my rings so that I can spray a shot of juice eventually. I have an NX plate kit that's been sitting next to my Teksid block for years as well, so Id like to put that to use. SO all in all it will be a pretty simple build, but should hold up to some RPM and N2O. Here are a few pics of where Im at:

Heres a couple pics of the car running for the first time. I started noticing the tick getting worse as I was taking these pics

Heres how the car sits now. About 2 weeks later from the first set of pics and its back in the air with no drivetrain

Here are my engines that are accumulating in my garage lol. At first when I thought that it was a rod bearing, I was just going to swap my stock shortblock back into the car. This was before I found out about the heads, and before the lady put the bug in my ear about the aluminum build. The engine on the stand is the stock 45K shortblock out of the car, and the one below it is the NPI shortblock that I just pulled out.

And heres the Teksid block. I got this block from Kar Kraft up in Detriot a few years ago when they went out of business. I got this block for like 200 bucks, and I got to pick this one out of a few rows of them that were stacked along the wall. I wish I had a wad of cash on me that day. Ive been doing little things like pulling the freeze plugs out, removing the seized up head dowels, etc.

So there it is folks, my next, and probably not last engine combo. This will be a slow going build since this is all unplanned and I don't have any money saved. So Im just going to save little by little and my goal is to have her up and running by this time next year. Im bummed that I have to go a whole summer without the car, but its for the better. Ill keep this thread updated for those of you who are interested.

chris91

Reaction score
Damn dude!! Well sounds like shes gonna be bad ass when done. Quick question. On that intake manifold on the crossover I see a aftermarket temp sending unit. Whatd you do to get that to work? I am getting ready to install my gauges and was wondering if I could put the temp sending unit there somewhere.

And hey, you dont need that trans... Just send it on down here to Cincy and Ill put it to good use!! haha

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
haha right now that tranny is about the only thing that functions correctly in that car lol. That temp sending unit is exactly what that is. I installed that there for my Autometer pillar gauge. I drilled a 9/16" hole and tapped it to a 3/8 NPT right in the spot where the second temp sensor usually goes on the NPI cars. It works well with no issues in that location for me. Also I didn't have to go buy anything, everything that you need adapter wise comes with the gauge. Its the same size hole that's in the crossover for the NPI cars, so if you can get ahold of an early intake with the aluminum crossover, you can just switch it out with your stock crossover, theres no drilling and tapping required then. I learned that the best way to drill that is on a drill press because with it being aluminum, it was real easy to start leaning on the drill and the bit walking around and not being square to the crossover...

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Sucks about ur luck but I love the sound of high compression cammed 2v's I've always digged this car can't wait to see it back together

chris91

Reaction score
So I can just swap out the coolant crossover? I know a few ppl that upgraded recently, hopefully one still has theirs layin around. :)

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Akron huh? Damn were representing Ohio really well on SN haha! Good looking car you have buddy, I've wanted to get 18's just so I can get those BFG's.... Hope to see some progress updates man!

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments fellas, and yea Chris, all you have to do is swap it out. I'm not sure if you're aware, but the intake does have to come off to swap it, but I would assume that you would be pulling it anyways even if you were going to drill it...

chris91

Reaction score
Yeah well I think my intake is gonna come off so I can reach the top two bell housing bolts this weekend anyway. So that works for me! :)

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
cool to see ya back my man!!!

so you say no N20 or boost, is that cause you have a stock bottom end? so say i wanted to run N20 or a s/c'er. would it be a little sketchy with my stock bottom end? sorry if i'm derailing or hijacking, lol.

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats goin on man? Honestly, Ive been running N/A by choice all these years. If you want to run boost or N2O, you can definitely do it on the stock bottom end. Usually your safe limit for N2O is about a 125 shot, and safe boost limit is about 10psi. Of course there are people that have ran more with no issues, and people that have blown up with less, and that's because 99% of it has to do with the tune. So you do have some options with the stock bottom. I know that those numbers are accurate with PI motors, and Im assuming that its the same with a NPI motor, but Im not 100% sure on that...

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
Whats goin on man? Honestly, Ive been running N/A by choice all these years. If you want to run boost or N2O, you can definitely do it on the stock bottom end. Usually your safe limit for N2O is about a 125 shot, and safe boost limit is about 10psi. Of course there are people that have ran more with no issues, and people that have blown up with less, and that's because 99% of it has to do with the tune. So you do have some options with the stock bottom. I know that those numbers are accurate with PI motors, and Im assuming that its the same with a NPI motor, but Im not 100% sure on that...
ahh, cool! dude your car in your sig...daaayuuum, lol! looks so sick!

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, its about time for an update. Ive been slowly collecting parts as time and money permits. Mostly small things for now, but making progress. I got a call from Gregg at Trick Flow today. They have been working non stop for months trying to figure out the valve guide issue on my TFS heads. He said that they still haven't been able to reproduce the issue that I had. So he said that I am going to be getting a brand new set of heads, and he is going to upgrade the valve springs to the 125lb beehive versions for me for no charge since I was going to buy them and install them myself. I must say that I was not expecting that at all. I figured that they would have went through the heads and given me a discounted price for going through them, but a brand new set of heads and upgraded springs for free threw me for a loop. Once again Trick Flow standing by their products and taking care of the customer. I just thought that I would share my experience with you guys, and give a big thanks to Gregg at Trick Flow for taking car of me!

chris91

Reaction score
Would that have been Greg changett at TF? He's the brother of the guy who used to own our local stang site WWW.stangbangerz.com before his passing. Definitely a cool guy with a badass car!

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes that's the same Gregg. He has really taken care of me with this situation. Hes got a couple of really nice foxes. My buddy Josh painted his maroon fox a couple years ago. Im really pumped to get this motor built. Im ordering my Modmax rods and big bore plasma piston rings tomorrow, and then running up to summit to buy my rod bearings...:headbang:

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time for an update! Parts are rolling in, so I figured that I would share some pics with ya. I have a Cobra crankshaft on order from ModMax that isn't here yet. I bought the crank with all of the machining done, and I spent a little extra money and got better rod and main bearings that are all matched, deburred, and radiused, so Im getting close to having all of the parts. On to the pics:

Here are my brand new TFS heads that Gregg hooked me up with since I trashed out all of the intake guides on one of my original TFS heads. These heads are upgraded to the Track Heat heads which have the 125lb. beehive springs vs. the 90lb. springs that my original heads had.

These are brand new GT 40 lash adjusters and cam followers that Gregg gave me as well. I had the GT 40 followers previously, but was running stock lash adjusters. Gregg recommended that I run the GT 40 lash adjusters as well, so he hooked me up there too. Gregg also gave me a new set of intake gaskets, an FRPP head changing kit, and new iron tensioners. I went to pick up my heads and ended up loading a pallet full of parts into my truck. Thanks Trick Flow!

New ModMax H beam rods:

Im freshening up the clutch/drivetrain as well. So I ordered a few parts in that department too. I got a SPEC billet steel flywheel, a new Centerforce dual friction clutch disc, FRPP pilot bearing, OEM T.O.B., OEM clutch fork, OEM clutch fork pivot ball, ARP flywheel bolts, ARP clutch bolts, and some Spicer HD solid U joints:

Here are my big bore Manley piston rings. I have a set of pistons picked out, but need to save up for them. The pistons I am going with are the DSS GSX X groove pistons. They are notched for the Trick Flow heads, and have a dish of -13cc. That will put my compression at 11.9:1 with a .036" head gasket and the block being zero decked:

The intake manifold that I am going to be running is the Trick Flow Street Burner with the oval throttle body style upper plenum. So naturally I needed a few things to make that work. I found a stock throttle body for a Bullitt, Mach, and 96-98 Cobra on ebay for 50 bucks. So I bought it and cleaned it up. I also found the coveted unicorn of throttle cables....the '01 Bullitt throttle cable. I also have a Bullitt cruise control cable on its way as we speak:

This is all of my random crap. I have all of the miscellaneous stuff taken care of. The timing cover gaskets for my 95 T bird cover, all the other gaskets, main cap hardware, freeze plugs, Livernois oil drain back kit, Canton oil pan stud kit, EGR delete, new bearings for all of my idler pulleys, etc.

Its getting there. I have a few more things to buy such as the DSS pistons, TSS oil pump, Cometic head gaskets, JLT Bullitt intake, and the Street Burner intake manifold. Im going to take a slight break on buying parts so I have some spending money for Christmas, then Ill try to get some of the remaining parts knocked out with tax return money, etc. Ive been talking to a couple shops about machine work on the block. Being that its getting dry sleeved, its going to cost quite a bit more than a normal machining bill.

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks man! I smile every time that I have to go down to the basement for something and see the tables stockpiled...lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online