Watch "Pi swap now tick?" on YouTube

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Could be a lifter that never expanded.

When you checked the plugs you made sure they were all in tight enough I am assuming. The plugs are known to "tick" when they are not tight enough, just before ejecting and ruining your day.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Could be a lifter that never expanded.

When you checked the plugs you made sure they were all in tight enough I am assuming. The plugs are known to "tick" when they are not tight enough, just before ejecting and ruining your day.
All new plugs torqued down. Been seeing vids of maybe exhaust leak

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
could be that also. I had that problem when I put shorties on until I added stage 8 bolts. My was more of a tap then a tick though :)

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Going to have it looked at in the a.m. hopefully it'll be fixed. I've ran out of ideas. I'm still in the learning process. Not bad if I say so myself, it fired up first crank and didn't blow up. After the swap

Thomas_W

Reaction score
The passenger side header flange to the midpipe is always a pain. If you didnt use factory layered steel header gaskets and midpipe flange gasket, it is likely an exhaust leak.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
The passenger side header flange to the midpipe is always a pain. If you didnt use factory layered steel header gaskets and midpipe flange gasket, it is likely an exhaust leak.
I used Ford racing header gaskets and the flange gasket is from the Ford dealership.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Man, I hope you get this figured out. Just like Thomas_W stated, that flange can be a pain! If youre useing the original flange nuts, the pain is greater for they were made jam nuts. I toss them in favor of stainless nuts. Lock each stud by useing 2nuts tightened together

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Man, I hope you get this figured out. Just like Thomas_W stated, that flange can be a pain! If youre useing the original flange nuts, the pain is greater for they were made jam nuts. I toss them in favor of stainless nuts. Lock each stud by useing 2nuts tightened together
So I should replace the header gaskets with o e peice oem gaskets?and get new bolts ?

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
When you did the plugs, did you use anti seize and actually use a torque wrench? If you didn't you might have boogered one and that tick is air getting past the plug which means it would be ready to blow out. Most Mustang PI heads only have 4 threads, they didn't get 8 till 2004 and even then they can still strip out.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
When you did the plugs, did you use anti seize and actually use a torque wrench? If you didn't you might have boogered one and that tick is air getting past the plug which means it would be ready to blow out. Most Mustang PI heads only have 4 threads, they didn't get 8 till 2004 and even then they can still strip out.
Plugs are torqued to spec. Thinking it's a head gasket issue.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Didnt you say oil in the coolant also?
Yep thought it was the oil filter adapter gasket, but after changing it and then flushing took er for a spin. Quart low and it's in coolant reservoir again. The pass side head was a pain the header and flange got stuck and had to be pried apart. Thinking it didn't seat right

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
I think that is a separate issue. I was just referring to the tick. Unfortunately the oil in the coolant reservoir will almost certainly mean you are going to need to take everything apart and do it over again. That is if you cannot locate an obvious issue. If it was me I would begin by taking the intake back off and see if you have anything that you can easily see as an issue. But I am willing to bet you have a head gasket issue.

Jake

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I think that is a separate issue. I was just referring to the tick. Unfortunately the oil in the coolant reservoir will almost certainly mean you are going to need to take everything apart and do it over again. That is if you cannot locate an obvious issue. If it was me I would begin by taking the intake back off and see if you have anything that you can easily see as an issue. But I am willing to bet you have a head gasket issue.

Jake

If the head gasket is bad it could cause oiling issues to the lash adjusters and make them rattle/tick.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
If the head gasket is bad it could cause oiling issues to the lash adjusters and make them rattle/tick.
That's what I was thinking. Since the oil is being pushed into coolant ,it's not lubing the heads right. Thinking pass side is culprit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online