Water methanol injection on an NA engine?

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Anyone here done this? They say the benefits aren't as good as with a forced induction engine. So how good are the benefits, on an NA engine? Could be a cheap way to make a little more power if its worth doing on an NA motor.

Wichers123

Reaction score
Meth injection by itself does not make power, but with it more timing can be added to create more power. Also you must be tuned for it.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What they said, it'll be need to be tuned. So then its not that cheap of a mod.
Also if it does get tuned on the meth then its dependent on it, so if the nozzle gets plugged or you run out it can cause big trouble.

I'm using meth as a way to cool my blower. My tuner set it up so that if the meth obviously isnt work causing my temperature to increase it will retard the system.

I would look into what people claim about the disadvantages of meth. I'm not sure if there is any real evidence, but I'm sure there's a disadvantage of it.... you're puting water in the engine. But since its the only way I can cool my car, its what I'm using.

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful replies. But now Orange 94, I'm curious about your car. Why is that the only way you can cool it? I'm sure you've looked into big ass radiators and oil coolers by now.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
his M112 blower is a custom set-up.

when you do your own bad-ass engineering, you dont have the cobra A/W intercooler to cool the air-charge. Without that, he has to run W/M....

RichV

Reaction score
It's to cool boost, not the oil/water. The water mist/meth goes into the intake and absorbs heat in place of a intercooler.

I don't think there are many disadvantages, prop airplanes have been doing it for years. Keeps the combustion chambers shiny clean. :)

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful replies. But now Orange 94, I'm curious about your car. Why is that the only way you can cool it? I'm sure you've looked into big ass radiators and oil coolers by now.

M112 on a v6. So a v8 blower on a v6, so it requires a special plate.
Now if I try to intercool this thing, it definitely won't be able to fit under any hood.

VwvmoaXl.jpg

And yes it some how fits under a hood.

fNFjhLll.jpg

yoSNDVXl.jpg

[MENTION=17007]RichV[/MENTION] yes it has many advantage, but people claim it pits and damage other parts of the motor. Also if you're feeding it through a blower it will remove the coating which may not be a good thing. Luckly, I accidentally took off the coating thinking it was dirty... but it ended up being a good thing! None of that crap will be fed through the motor and I was able to put a smaller pulley on :)

My tuner, except for special cases like me, strongly discourages meth because of the pitting.

RichV

Reaction score
Interesting. I know they are a PITA to tune coming from one of the best Ford tuners in CO. He does not care for it at all, one of the reasons is that the meth content is not consistent in mixtures and you can cause damage just by using the wrong stuff.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
honestly on an n/a engine I would put the money elsewhere, but on a boosted engine meth can help dramatically. If you do decide to go meth just make sure you do all the failsafe's and get a tune and you will never have any issues. I personally run 20psi through a V7 and use an AIS tri nozzle setup and spray a 3gph nozzle pre blower and two 4gph pre throttle body and my IAT's are barely above ambient even at 20psi on 50/50 meth

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Is the pitting also an issue on diesels? Or maybe not quite as bad. I have a friend who runs water meth on his cummins and he loves the extra power it gives.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I personally run 20psi through a V7 and use an AIS tri nozzle setup and spray a 3gph nozzle pre blower and two 4gph pre throttle body and my IAT's are barely above ambient even at 20psi on 50/50 meth

sick.

what's this pitting that it's supposed to cause? I've never heard of downsides to running meth.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I never have heard about any pitting either. Guys who say pre blower spraying causes damage to the blower is either running the wrong size nozzle or has read that on the internet. I've never seen/heard of anybody have "pitting" problems with meth

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think its suppose to pit the valves and piston? I forget what they said.

But there has to be some sort of disadvantage to it... There's always advantages and disadvantages to everything.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I'm sure over decades it can cause pitting, just can't think of a single car that has posted up of "pitting" to his pistons or cylinder walls from methanol. The disadvantes could be that you have to fill the tank up when it gets low, if not tuned correctly you COULD have severe detonation from aggressive tuning....I'm trying to think of more. In regards to performance, there won't be any. You will only gain power when adding meth

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure most of the injection turns to vapor before it reaches any vital engine parts, and what little is still a liquid is probably way too small of an amount to do anything.

I'm thinking about it cause my iat's get up to the 150's. I can't wait till winter time.

I hope to get mine down to 150 lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online