Weird device connected to battery? Can anyone identify

OP
OP
BitchinCorolla

BitchinCorolla

Reaction score
the stock radio was already taken out by the looks of it the radio removal tools will do you no good. I think every toolbox should have a meter but its not gonna do you much good here.
Nah radio is stock and has the holes for the removal tool. What makes you think it was aftermarket?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok wait you still have the stock radio? I have to admit it has been a while since I saw the back of a stock radio but in the pic it looked aftermarket. I thought you said somewhere that you replaced it, if you pull that amp then it will kill all the sound. We can still test the theory the amp is causing it by disconnecting it but you would need to replace it, or the deck/speakers if you want to bypass the amp

OP
OP
BitchinCorolla

BitchinCorolla

Reaction score
ok wait you still have the stock radio? I have to admit it has been a while since I saw the back of a stock radio but in the pic it looked aftermarket. I thought you said somewhere that you replaced it, if you pull that amp then it will kill all the sound. We can still test the theory the amp is causing it by disconnecting it but you would need to replace it, or the deck/speakers if you want to bypass the amp
Well I’d rather have a working car than a working radio but damn, I hope it isn’t the mach amp causing this. Whats the best way to check if my alternator is causing problems?

Everything in the car is stock, although I just installed a nice catback day before it started draining again. Real shame, I haven’t heard enough of the freed engine.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the best way to check an alt is to remove it from the car and have it bench tested. You can have it tested on the car, but it best to remove it. IF the car starts right after you turn it off, but not two days later, it is not the alt

OP
OP
BitchinCorolla

BitchinCorolla

Reaction score
how do you unlatch the connections on the amp? I guess I need to remove the other radio and the air vents and stuff to get better reach.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well, idunno... I had it typed out 3 times that you would need to get a stock replacement but as I think about it if you do not have the mach system that is/should just be a 4 channel @ 4 ohm amp which would mean that you could put in an aftermarket amp but it would take a bit of work to separate the correct wires needed.

Now if you replace the deck, you can bypass the amp and go straight to the speakers, or replace the speakers and get a little better sound as well.

OP
OP
BitchinCorolla

BitchinCorolla

Reaction score
well, idunno... I had it typed out 3 times that you would need to get a stock replacement but as I think about it if you do not have the mach system that is/should just be a 4 channel @ 4 ohm amp which would mean that you could put in an aftermarket amp but it would take a bit of work to separate the correct wires needed.

Now if you replace the deck, you can bypass the amp and go straight to the speakers, or replace the speakers and get a little better sound as well.
Yeah. I could just swing by a junkyard or buy online to get a factory unit. I’d rather not mess with wiring, I have no experience with that. Only concern is that if I get a stock amp it could go bad again unless I get a newer one. Thanks for all the help btw, I really appreciate it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not sure but I think there is a difference between the mach system and what you have. Yours was just called a premium sound system IIRC and it might make it a little harder to find. The mach amp had a cross over in it to separate the tweeter signal where your amp doesn't need that.

OP
OP
BitchinCorolla

BitchinCorolla

Reaction score
I am not sure but I think there is a difference between the mach system and what you have. Yours was just called a premium sound system IIRC and it might make it a little harder to find. The mach amp had a cross over in it to separate the tweeter signal where your amp doesn't need that.
Oh. So is there even a point in taking it out then? Is it only the Mach amp that causes the power drain?

OP
OP
BitchinCorolla

BitchinCorolla

Reaction score
I tested my alternator and I reckon its working. The drain on My battery is rapid. I watched it go from 8 volts to 7 volts, and then the next morning it was sitting right at one. Today I am gonna jump it, run the engine so it charges, and then I’m just gonna test the fuses. From there hopefully I will be able to determine what is causing the drain. I don’t think it is the radio since you claim it is not the Mach amp. I will update y’all later today.

OP
OP
BitchinCorolla

BitchinCorolla

Reaction score
I saw in another thread it could be the premium amp as well. I will remove and test it before the fuse testing just in case.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
by the time your battery gets to 8 volts it is dead and yea it will not take long to get to 7 even if nothing was connected.

We have been discussing the mach/premium amp for the last page or so here, not sure why we have not tested it yet...

OP
OP
BitchinCorolla

BitchinCorolla

Reaction score
by the time your battery gets to 8 volts it is dead and yea it will not take long to get to 7 even if nothing was connected.

We have been discussing the mach/premium amp for the last page or so here, not sure why we have not tested it yet...
Well I was working on removing it and then had a big snow fall. So haven’t been working on my car since then. Safe to say the premium amp could be causing it as well?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
are you trolling me? I mean ya know I had to look it up to be completely sure as I was pretty sure I have said this a few times.

you can just pull the fuse out and see if it stops it. The mach amps are known to cause dead batteries and no body removes the one under the dash even if they remove everything else. It could very well be a gps, or a battery tender to keep it charged if it has had this issue
that was on dec 3 and looking back through the next 3 pages I say it no less than 4 more times that the mack/premium amps are known to kill batteries. I can't make it any clearer and I can understand it is winter and cold out but have we seriously been going around now for 3 nearly months?

I wish you luck but at this point there nothing else I can do to help.

OP
OP
BitchinCorolla

BitchinCorolla

Reaction score
are you trolling me? I mean ya know I had to look it up to be completely sure as I was pretty sure I have said this a few times.

that was on dec 3 and looking back through the next 3 pages I say it no less than 4 more times that the mack/premium amps are known to kill batteries. I can't make it any clearer and I can understand it is winter and cold out but have we seriously been going around now for 3 nearly months?

I wish you luck but at this point there nothing else I can do to help.
I’m sorry. I really appreciate the help you’ve given me. Thanks for the good luck.

OP
OP
BitchinCorolla

BitchinCorolla

Reaction score
image.jpg
Got all the bolts unbolted on this thing, now I’m just struggling to pull the wire harness out of it. Are there any clips I have to push down, or do I brute force it?

OP
OP
BitchinCorolla

BitchinCorolla

Reaction score
there is a clip somewhere on it holding it in place I think on the bottom
Thanks. The one on the drivers side just came out while I was pulling the amp towards the radio hole, so that was easy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online