Went up for the second run...

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
And did somewhat better :p. Anyways if you can recall, last time I went to the track I was running 16.2@83mph with a stock 5.0L with 3.73s. I only had a few runs and they were... interesting. 1st Run- I used my cousins slicks(the one was losing air, went from 20 to 14 psi from pit to staging lane) and got a 2.0 60-foot time, BUT I blew ALL 3 shifts resulting in a 16.1@85mph... The slicks scared me crapless(car was wobbling down the track) so I took them off. 2nd run: Put on the KDW's and went again, Spun ALL the way through first and 2nd for a good 200-300 feet, 3.2 sec 60 footer, 18.0@90mph. 3rd Run- More of the same, 2.9 Sec 60 foot time and the car wouldnt go into 3rd :BangHead: 17.6@87mph 4th(final) run- Checked tire pressure... 40PSI?!?! No wonder what was happening! Dropped the pressure to 20psi and went back up, this time I cut a 2.3 second 60 footer, nailed all shifts and cut a [email protected]!!!!!

My whole goal was to get a low 15/high 14 and I got that on the stock, worn out(222000kms) engine. I guarentee I would have had a 14.9/.8 if I kept the slicks put the one was WAY too sketchy to keep running. Side notes: My cousin's 351w Stroker did his best run ever, 10.5!!!! My brother's '08 GT/CS cut a 2.2 60 foot for a 14.1@100mph(personal best), then my uncles 2001 Mustang GT with a few bolt ons was the most surprising, 2.2 60 foot with a 14.0@97mph.

Those slicks were the weirdest/best thing I ever experianced though. I launched at 2.5k and it bogged, so I nailed the gas and it hooked like a bat out of hell! Unfortutaly, I was too tense and wasn't ready for what was happening with the them and blew it. With the new engine next year(trick flow track heat on a fresh 306) Im aiming for 14s, then 13s :). PS: Getting ET Streets, those ET Drags were rank sticky!

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
not bad man. but only a 2.5k launch on slicks no wonder it bogged.lol. also seems like everyone you went with had a very productive track visit, gotta love it when everything goes right!

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
Lol Yea, I figured that out fast, if I would have 3k launched it I wouldn't have bogged, but my whole "Street racing is stupid" attitude really sucks because I dont get much racing time other than on the track. I'd rather do it where it is safe, legal, and no one gets hurt. But yes, It was a VERY good day for all of us, last year my brother was running 14.4@99mph with his mustang, this was my uncle's first time up, and my cousin was running 11.4 then he turned the juice on and went to a 10.5, I think he should be the happiest :p. But I learnt that slicks really DO bite, The one was worn out to nothing as I said and wasn't holding air, or else I would have kept going with them on.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
youll need to launch it higher then 3k... i let mine out at 5 with my mikey thompson slicks. as far as the slick wobbling thats 100% normal DO NOT TRY TO CORRECT THIS DO NOT STEER THE CAR AND TRY TO FIX THE SHIFTING FROM SIDE TO SIDE YOU WILL CRASH. basically whats happening is as your going the sidewall is flexing and the car is just kinda skating its normal and after about 10 passes on slicks you wont even notice it anymore.

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
Ya, my cousin side it was due the lack of any real sidewalling on slicks. I'll probably just get ET streets and hope those are easier and smoother to run, my car isn't exactly a powerhouse my any means.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
et streets are dot slicks, you can get a street radial.... from mickey thompson and be better off wehre yo udont race a whole lot, or just buy spare wheels and get some 26x8.5 slicks

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
The slicks I used were M/T ET Drags and they were 26x8.5 :p. 5k for a launch isnt exactly what I want, I DO drive this car everyday and dont want my clutch to blow up at the track 2 hours away from home...

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
you dont have to side step the clutch, ou do know that, just let it out slowly and smoothly and youll be fine. thats how i made all of my passes last year...

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
Ya I just slid it out, Side stepping is a HUGE no-no :angry7: For sure way to blow something up, or wreck something lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online