Wetsanding tips?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by the5.ohh, Aug 26, 2016.

1. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

I haven't detailed the car in atleast a year, like I'm talking atleast a year since its been clayed or polished.. it sees wax every now and again, just haven't had the time to do the proper job. I have some spare time and I'd like to wetsand it. Best grits to use? I have all the detailing products and machines I need. All of the paint is original minus the hood, front bumper, fenders. The paint looks rough. Not gonna lie I've neglected it.

2. Frank.JD.Perez

Frank.JD.Perez Well-Known Member

Probably some fine grit like 1500 or something. Idk I'm sure [MENTION=11896]ttocs[/MENTION] or [MENTION=13575]9838stang[/MENTION] can give you some good pointers

3. ttocs

ttocs Legend

What are you wanting to correct with the sanding? Wet sanding isn't something that is needed except for the worst of problems and not something you do just cause.

4. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

Just trying to get the paint to pop some more. Buffing only does so much, I might just buff it again and see how it comes out. I'd only be wetsanding the doors and rear quarters tbh

5. ttocs

ttocs Legend

have you tried a nice glaze? Again unless your looking to get rid of orange peel or pitting, wet sanding is not necessary and unless you have a full line of polishes/pads your probably going to do more harm then good.

6. g36 monkey

g36 monkey Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Yea, on factory 20 year old paint, hitting a car with paper could be a nightmare.

Unless you have seriously bad orange peel or fish eye. But it's pretty unlikely. Not to mention, factory paint has a tendency to use a lot less clear coat than a paint shop.

On top of that, your clear is 20 years old, and therefore pretty thin by nature.

Like TTOCS said, you would probably be more well suited doing a good m105 m205 (or other compound and polish) buff, then going with a nice glaze, then a sealer and wax.

This takes a long time, but it would probably fix most of what you're complaining about.

7. Ballistic

Ballistic Active Member

Have you looked into 3M trizact? Thats what i use for all my cars.

I have been wanting to try CarPro Essence, few detailing friends describe it as unicorn jizz.

8. g36 monkey

g36 monkey Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

I have used the trizact quite a bit

9. ttocs

ttocs Legend

Do you have a DA buffer yet?