What crank pulley is this?

Reaction score
When I bought my car (98 GT 5spd) it had a smooth crank pulley which caused it to fail safety inspection. I obviously replaced it with an OEM style one, but Im curious if anyone knows what the origin of this pulley is. Its definitely a Ford OEM piece and it bolted on to my crank and ran with no issues whatsoever.

IMG_0136.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0137.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OP
OP
SOHC_Foodblister
Reaction score
Looks like the damper and grooves came off lol. Im surprised everything worked.

They didnt just come off. This particular pulley was put on their on purpose because it was running a smaller serpentine belt (one not for a 4.6l). At some point, the car was in a shop where they took the crank pulley off and put this one on for some reason. I cant thing of a particular reason - maybe it was getting timing chains/guides replaced? Somebody screwed up the crnak pulley and then decided to put on whatever was laying around the shop? :confused:

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
They didnt just come off. This particular pulley was put on their on purpose because it was running a smaller serpentine belt (one not for a 4.6l). At some point, the car was in a shop where they took the crank pulley off and put this one on for some reason. I cant thing of a particular reason - maybe it was getting timing chains/guides replaced? Somebody screwed up the crank pulley and then decided to put on whatever was laying around the shop? :confused:

Possible, or maybe when they pulled it off they did it with the wrong puller and pulled the damper off. Then put it back on to avoid buying a new one?

OP
OP
SOHC_Foodblister
Reaction score
The mechanic got under and looked at the crank pulley? Va is brutal lol. Did the motor vibrate alot?

No, they put the car on the lift. Usually, VA inspection is a breeze if your car is halfway held together. But this guy zeroed in on the pulley for whatever reason. No where on the VA state safety criteria does it list crank pulley/harmonic balancer. I really was surprised and had I not dealt with these guys before and known them to be decent guys, I would thrown an absolute fit. As it was, I knew replacing the pulley would be a quick job and I was back the day after next for my free re-inspection.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Well this is crazy!

Maybe that pulley got modified when used with a piggy back underdrive...? Just a guess

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can't see the pics. Is it bigger/smaller? What about the alt pulley? I have seen people start mixing/matching pullies to try and fix the low voltage problems UDP's cause

OP
OP
SOHC_Foodblister
Reaction score
Well this is crazy!

Maybe that pulley got modified when used with a piggy back underdrive...? Just a guess

I have no idea. Out of curiosity, I tried googling the part #'s stamped on it and had very little of substance come up. A couple of vague links suggest that that particular part # is associated with pre modular Crown Vics. So I dunno.

OP
OP
SOHC_Foodblister
Reaction score
Also, I did a reverse look up of the part number that was on the serpentine belt that was on the car and it came up as listed for a GM 4.2 Inline 6 application! So Im certain the pulley wasnt an OEM Mustang one that got accidentally modified. Someone put this pulley on and searched for a belt that would fit it. I think someone jerry rigged this setup with parts laying around in the shop after somehow damaging the original pulley.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just replaced my alternator pulley because I upgraded to a High output model that was made with a smaller pulley. I just took the one I had to an alternator shop locally and showed what I had, told them what I needed and they found the closet replacement. I had to take it to a machine shop to be bored out but it now matches. I am pretty sure I could still dig up my old pulley to sell.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Staff online