What exhausts do you guys prefer?

OP
OP
F

fordguysmith

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
fordguysmith said:
ok, so how loud will stock headers, non-catted prochamber, and slp lm1s be? close to straight pipes? cuz that's not what i'm goin for but i love the slp sound!!!

Pretty loud
I ran stock hedders, catless Prochamber, and side exit mufflers.
It's LOUD and it droned more than I liked.

It was cool at times, but when I didn't wanna be loud, like at 2am, you can't shut it up.
More of a mellow muffler could help with that.
It also poped a lot durring decelleration. I just installed shorties on the same mid pipe, and geuss what - No poping :)

does it still have alot of drone with the shorties?

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
fordguysmith said:
Dalamar said:
fordguysmith said:
ok, so how loud will stock headers, non-catted prochamber, and slp lm1s be? close to straight pipes? cuz that's not what i'm goin for but i love the slp sound!!!

Pretty loud
I ran stock hedders, catless Prochamber, and side exit mufflers.
It's LOUD and it droned more than I liked.

It was cool at times, but when I didn't wanna be loud, like at 2am, you can't shut it up.
More of a mellow muffler could help with that.
It also poped a lot durring decelleration. I just installed shorties on the same mid pipe, and geuss what - No poping :)

The drone comes from the muffler. And SLP doesn't drone since it is a straight through muffler. And I agree that some people might not like SLP with an offroad midpipe since it is basically straight piping it, but SLP is NOT too loud with a catted midpipe.

97vertstang

Reaction score
a o/r prochamber sounds almost like a catted h. i wanted power instead of sound and my o/r prochamber and hooker mufflers are a little louder than stock, and gave me good performance.a o/r prochamber with mac mufflers should be nice loud and give u performance. LM1 slp , is a STRAIGHT pipe.

95-stang

Reaction score
Full Magnaflow with X pipe no cats. Exhausts made of mild steel dont last long in soggy England, stainless steel helps. :)

SVTGizzi

Reaction score
mac longtubes with o/r prochamber and 3 chamber flows...it sounds good, but not nearly as loud as i want it to be. when i had stock manifolds, o/r h, and 3 chambers it was loud and sounded awsome, except for the drone. now i still have a drone but its not as loud when i get on it. i love the power with my setup but i just want better mufflers.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
fordguysmith said:

No, but that's probably due to the mufflers like Red96 said.
as I understand drone it's due to resonance, usually in the mufflers and tail pipes.
adding cats (which they sometimes call resonators) changes the sound)
The hedders did give it a better sound, and there's no backpressure poping, which I always hated.

SVTGizzi - changing mufflers should reduce the drone.

FASTANG

Reaction score
I have Borla exhaust and a Prochamber and it just right to me; not too loud, not too quiet.
I have gotten compliments about it, too. ;)

Downshift

Reaction score
I really like my Bassani exhaust. I get quite a bit of compliments on it too. They make some really quality stuff. Oh and since you dont get checked by smog much dont even think about running cats lol.

acmsheva7

Reaction score
so overall whats the best muffler all around,, i want something really loud but not much drone?? right now i have mac o/r x-pipe with 40 series flowmaster but i think it has too mucho drone

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
acmsheva7 said:
so overall whats the best muffler all around,, i want something really loud but not much drone?? right now i have mac o/r x-pipe with 40 series flowmaster but i think it has too mucho drone

If you don't want drone and want loud straight through mufflers are what you want. SLP Loudmouth 1s and 2s (1s are louder), Borla Stingers, and I think they are called Dynomax race bullets (not sure though) are all straight through.

And if you are going for every little bit of power, straight through is the way to go even though you aren't going to feel it.

95Boss

Reaction score
Red96GT said:
95Boss said:
That Silver GT has a really nice growl. It sounded like it may be a bit loud at highway speeds though.

Theres no such thing as "too loud." ;) Have you heard a straight through muffler like SLP with an offroad midpipe in person?

Yes, there is such a thing as too loud, especially on the highway. I have a Dynamax set up (no cats). It has a deep rumble at idle and decel and a real nice burble during acceleration. It's not too loud and doesn't create any unwanted attention from the cops. Works for me.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
95Boss said:
Red96GT said:
95Boss said:
That Silver GT has a really nice growl. It sounded like it may be a bit loud at highway speeds though.

Theres no such thing as "too loud." ;) Have you heard a straight through muffler like SLP with an offroad midpipe in person?

Yes, there is such a thing as too loud, especially on the highway. I have a Dynamax set up (no cats). It has a deep rumble at idle and decel and a real nice burble during acceleration. It's not too loud and doesn't create any unwanted attention from the cops. Works for me.

I understand different people want their car to sound differently, it's just that I think loud is cool on muscle cars. I've never heard a mustang that sounded bad. :)

95Boss

Reaction score
Red96GT said:
95Boss said:
Red96GT said:
95Boss said:

I understand different people want their car to sound differently, it's just that I think loud is cool on muscle cars. I've never heard a mustang that sounded bad. :)

Correctumundo, amigo. I have to admit a loud muscle car is an aweseome spectacle. My neighbor and his buddy have a couple of Fox body stangs that are so loud you can hear them coming from two blocks away and hear them for a long time when they have left our street. They sound so tough that most guys wouldn't consider trying them on for size. Neither car is what you would call pleasurable to drive. The noise level in those cars is so loud, you would get irritated with it after a while. But the sound those 5 liters make going down my street sure gives me a monster hard on. If your car is loud and you like it that way, good on ya'.

OP
OP
F

fordguysmith

Reaction score
so where is the cheapest place to buy exhaust from? I am going to buy it and my buddy owns an exhaust shop so he'll put it on. I am really considering some shorty headers, o/r prochamber, and slp lm2 exhaust maybe lm1. Still haven't decided on how loud I want it to be.

Wakes4Fun

Reaction score
^^^If your going to go and buy headers do yourself a favor and buy the long tubes. Unlike shorties they actually increase your performance somewhat. O0

OP
OP
F

fordguysmith

Reaction score
i seen somewhere where people were complaining about the long tubes not fitting an auto very well. what are some good long tubes to get? and how bout some good cheap ones? lol

G

GREG@SN95

BORLA - mufflers, pipes, catbacks...

hooker - headers...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online