What headers?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
my christmas present was to get my exhaust professionally put on.
as many of you know, i picked up a set of cobra pipes from the junkyard, went on perfect, car looks and sounds great.

however, while they were being installed, the guy pointed somehthing out to me.
my exhaust manifold on passenger side is cracked, and he also showed me where it had been cracked in another place before and welded.

i figured just getting new headers would fix this, as opposed to him just rewelding it for about $150
ill go ahead and rake some performance out of it if i can afford it.

i have a 99 with the 3.8 v6, which headers do i need, in other words, are stock headers mid, short, or long tube.
and which brand do you reccomend, and any particular way IE ceramic?

thanks for all the help :thumbsup:

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i dont know enough about exhaust to have any idea what a midpipe is lol.

ill be perfectly honest.

advantages please?
annnd, thats good because i was looking at those headers, ive heard bbk tossed around here alot.

im not going for anything super loud, kind of trying to replace it with something stronger and maybe get a few ponies out of it.
its a v6, so being loud is uncool, it wont sound real good, right now it rumbles pretty well, nice and deep haha

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Mac Lt's CC (ceramic coated).

Part # TF3899

1999-2000 Mustang V6 1 5/8" HTS Long Tube Headers

you may want to look at a new midpipe if you choose to get Lt's, or just get shorties.

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if 1stof3 is correct, that the midpipe is like the h or x, i really dont want to get a new one, considering i just got a custom one made (h) for the cobra pipes.

if i were to get shorties, they would be similar to stock, with minimal performance gains though correct?
and ceramic is the way to go?

Reaction score
Their are two types of headers, long tubes and shorties.

Stock headers are shorties.

If you are getting after market headers get shorties, they will/should fit right into your stock mid pipe. The brand is your choice. I got bassani shorties and love em.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
g36 monkey said:
if 1stof3 is correct, that the midpipe is like the h or x, i really dont want to get a new one, considering i just got a custom one made (h) for the cobra pipes.

get an used mid pipe.

if i were to get shorties, they would be similar to stock, with minimal performance gains though correct?

Yes, they are similar to stock but better flow design, very lil to none and you wont have to get a new midpipe.

and ceramic is the way to go?

Imo ,Yes, but i doubt they are Shorties that are ceramic coated.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Try to find some one who just got their headers off their car, look on craiglist.

As far as those headers, thats a lot of dinero for shorties, i paid less than that for my MAC CC LT's.

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
javi said:
As far as those headers, thats a lot of dinero for shorties, i paid less than that for my MAC CC LT's.

i was thinking the same.

so you think like i should find stock exhaust manifolds for cheap on craigslist or the like and then save up for nice headers.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
369 geebus. the modular v8 chromes are 300. 379 ceramic. i just used ceramic engine paint on mine.

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
glad i came to you all first, i dont know much when it comes to exhaust in front of the cats lol.

sean_land

Reaction score
If you want a badass setup:

1. Pacesetter lt's armor coated.

2. BBk or other brand O2 extenders and MIL eliminators, unless you have a tuner than you could skip the MIL's and just turn them of in the tuner interface. Also you can just splice the wires yourself to lengthen them if you know what you are doing.

3. Custom (any muffler shop around town or dude with a welder) 2.5" straight pipes to mufflers.
On a v6 mustang you don't need a crossover (h or x pipe) becuase it is a even firing engine unlike the v8's which they make a crossover for so it will flow more even which our engines already do.

4.(optional) two high flow cats if you want to pass emissions, to replace your clogged up stock 4. I used magnaflow universal high flows (like $60 a piece.) In this case you just weld in two 02 bungs after the two cats and use the 02 extenders and stock o2 sensors.

5. 2.5" in/out diamiter Spintech pro street mufflers, or flowmaster original 40's. I've heard that Borlas sound good too, also Bassani. no mac or magnaflow. (although mags on a v8 sound good.) Spintech also makes some nice high flow cats.

6. Some Flowmaster 2.5" tailpipes and whatever tips you want if you don't like the look of the flowmaster. ANSA makes some nice tips. You could also have these custom mad but i doubt they will be mandrel bends like the flowmaster tailpipes.

p.s. while you are under there with a welder you should have him weld in some maximum motorsports full length subframe connectors andfull weld the lower torque boxes.

just my 2 cents :thumbsup:

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
lol thanks for the info, and thanks for making fun of my ugly wheels ;)

im just broke otherwise i would have some new ones. i want some anthracite bullitts

sean_land

Reaction score
haha don't worry im runnin a spare right now on the front drivers side. and i have seen much much much much worse.

do you knpw what your going with on your exhuast?

purple96

Reaction score
cheap alternative could be get som manifolds off a 94-98 v6 (pretty much real shortie headers not 'logs') and should match up to ur mid pipe

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i like cheap alternatives ha.
Im still not sure though, I dont have the money to actually do anything for a while though, so Im doing the whole pray nothing happens deal haha.

The more I think about it, I know stock would be the easiest. Like just replacing with stock because I know for a fact it will fit. Are the manifolds the same from 94-98 and my car?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online