What to do?

JTB97

Reaction score
I'm having questions as to where to start my build up. I have just purchased a 97 5 speed w/ 78,000 miles at a good price. I'm pretty new to the mustang world but have a good understanding of the engine. My first step is to increase the HP/TQ. I can't decide on whether I want to do the full PI swap, or do a NPI cam swap w/PI intake. Down the road I plan on adding a blower to the car. Any ideas? I'm looking to spend b/w $1000-$2,000 right now. Right now I want around 280-300hp at the wheels. I've looked at Steen racing which offers the full head swap with the stage 1 porting for about $1500. I plan on adding the blower in about a year or two. At the end I am looking for 400-480hp at the wheels. I know the head swap will increase the compression but if I plan on putting the blower I will have to be rebuild w/ forged internals for the hp level. What would be a good start to get to the 280-300hp range?

98armygt

Reaction score
well the pi swap is the best place to start. that nets you about 45-50 hp right there. add some port work to the heads. set of stage 2 cams. and the usual bolt ons. that should put you around 290-300rwhp.

98armygt

Reaction score
forgot to mention a really good tune. and youll be set. now if your gonna go blown get a turbo. it doesnt take horsepower to create horsepower. it uses the wasted energy

S

scarface

Steen PI swap, cams, and a blower will get you were you want to go in the end.

Till the just get the PP heads from Steen and do the pi swap

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd do the full PI swap with ported heads (keep the stock PI Cams in for now) and add some Longube headers/mid pipe and a tune. That will put you @270rwhp or so...then when its time to add the blower get some deeper dished pistons to lower the compression and get some blower cams. then you can easily get to 500rwhp...

OP
OP
J

JTB97

Reaction score
Alright thanks a lot. I think I'll go with the Steen PP heads and leave the stock cams until its time to add the blower since it is going to be about a year and a half, that way I can get the suspension to where I want it and get the appearance out of the way as well! :boink:

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd go with the PI's.
much better results.
That ported package will work well for ya.

you can still run a blower on the higher compression, they will just need to tune it in for ya.

ck5.0

Reaction score
Start with the P.I. swap. For the money you are looking to spend its your best bet.

jpajkos

Reaction score
+1 with droptop. Make sure you have stock P.I. Cams though. With the Steen P.I. Kit w/ ported heads and bolt on's you'll be loving life untill you get your blower.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
jpajkos said:
+1 with droptop. Make sure you have stock P.I. Cams though. With the Steen P.I. Kit w/ ported heads and bolt on's you'll be loving life untill you get your blower.

+2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online