Whats The differance between 96 4.6 and 03/04 4.6

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Besides the supercharger, what are the major differances.

Will putting a supercharger on a 96 engine give you the same horsepower/torque?

Bullitt

Reaction score
you'll need both heads, because bolts holes in heads are diferent in both models, therefore the roots blower doesn''t lines up on a 96 4.6, youll need some fuel upgrades, youll also need all the brackets and accesories from a 03-04, so that the belt lines up, the other good diference is that the 96 block is aluminum and the 03-04 is iron, so you'll take of some weight, for all the work that's needed to put a M112 supercharger on a 96 engine ill get a Vortech/ Paxton centrifugal and have fun instead of problems...

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
You mentioned the super charger ..........so I assume you are talking about the dohc 4.6 in the cobras. The 03/04 has diffrent heads, block, pistons ( that should be obvious to the novice gear head since the motor was built for a blower from the factory ) Just to put a blower on a pre 03 4.6 will net great gains and be a little more than a STOCK 03 Cobra. ATI Procharger like the stage 2 kit I want will make around 450rwhp on a stock 99 Cobra very similar for the 96-98 ones as well. Even more if you have other mods like exhaust / heads / cams and so on. The big advantage to the 03 motors is that they were assembled to be forced induction motors, they already have forged internals with low compression...........they are the shit. :khobra: :khobra:

97vertstang

Reaction score
the 03 uses a iron block, different heads, forged pistons, manley rods, 8.5:1 compression perfect for forced induction. a 96 engine has a teksid aluminum block, b heads which are better for high revving forced induction.however hypercrap pistons, crappy rods(cast??? :dunno:) and 10:1 compression.the heads and the block are perfect for forced induction but the rotating assembly is where u have to work.with a new 8.5:1 forged rotating assembly and a ati procharger, ull be 450rwhp+ and owning 03 cobras.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
what blower are you looking at?
it depends on the combo.

You really can't compare 2V #'s with the 4V stuff.

on KB's site it says HP numbers are the same If PI heads are used...on the 99-up supercharger on the 96-98's.
PI heads/intake is the Main difference on the 2V's.

THey also get heavier as the years add up.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
97vertstang said:
the 03 uses a iron block, different heads, forged pistons, manley rods, 8.5:1 compression perfect for forced induction. a 96 engine has a teksid aluminum block, b heads which are better for high revving forced induction.however hypercrap pistons, crappy rods(cast??? :dunno:) and 10:1 compression.the heads and the block are perfect for forced induction but the rotating assembly is where u have to work.with a new 8.5:1 forged rotating assembly and a ati procharger, ull be 450rwhp+ and owning 03 cobras.

yea I'll own them until I come up on one that has exhaust and a set of pulleys :mad:

97vertstang

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
97vertstang said:

yea I'll own them until I come up on one that has exhaust and a set of pulleys :mad:
thats why u thro more stuff at ur car :naughty: remember its only money ;D

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
97vertstang said:
Snakebit said:
97vertstang said:

oh sure let me get some from under my mattress :hammer:

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well a posative is a lot of fun on the street, but KB doesn't make one for that year cobra

So you're looking at a posative.
Vortec
ATI - Procharger
Novi

I'd go intercooled if you can swing it.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
Well a posative is a lot of fun on the street, but KB doesn't make one for that year cobra

So you're looking at a posative.
Vortec
ATI - Procharger
Novi

I'd go intercooled if you can swing it.

the intercooler is a MUST, if you want the blower and motor to have increased life, and on top of that ( as if that is not reason enough ) the cooler will give you a 10-15% increase in hp and tq. Its worth the money............get the cooler :)

97vertstang

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
97vertstang said:
Snakebit said:
97vertstang said:

oh sure let me get some from under my mattress :hammer:
what about that money tree u got outside??? ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online

No members online now.