Wheel Cleaner????

Blue95GT

Reaction score
Before anyone suggests it, I HAVE NO INTENTIONS OR PLANS OF CHANGING MY RIMS OUT... That being said, here's my problem.
Besides brake dust being a PITA to clean, there seems to be some sort of staining is the best way to describe what's going on. I switched my wheel cleaner from Turtle Wax Wheel Cleaner to Black Magic Wheel Cleaner.
002-1.jpg

I then used regular Dawn dish soap and a scouring sponge on them trying to remove the "staining". Didn't seem to help.
stainedwheels011.jpg

stainedwheels007.jpg

stainedwheels008.jpg

What do you guys think is causing this and what do you suggest I use to remove it? I wash the car once a week and it's rarely driven except to a cruise or event. It's bugging the hell out of me cause I'm always thinking they're still dirty.....

greenscobie86

Reaction score
Greg will chime in soon enough but I'll probably rephrase what he will say.

CG Diablo gel is a good product to keep wheels clean...

however it looks like you've got some embedded brake dust that will not come out easily..

I think Meguiars Wheel Brightener will solve your issues, but be careful using it as its highly acidic.

Once you clean your wheels put some good wheel sealant on them to keep thsi problem at bay in the future...

WhiteStallion94

Reaction score
Eagle 1 and Armor All are the best common, OTC wheel cleaners I've ever used. You might try those.

Personally I use Brown Royal a Malco product manufactured to the specs of a local detailing company. Chemical Guys also have some highly regarded wheel cleaners.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It seems to me like you need to use some type of metal or paint polish, Applied by hand, to remove the stains.

wheel cleaners are really for removing brake dust.... You still need to do other things to make a wheels clean.

Try some cleaner polish or Metal polish.... one of those should work.

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Mine have gotten to the point where I need to just re do them. I bought all the stuff to reshoot my rims and now that I has CG Diablo Rim Cleaner Im all set.

modo

Reaction score
wheel cleaner is ACID. that is pitting of the finish. the only way to correct that is to paint the wheel. :(

diluted simple green etc is the best way to safely clean your wheels and you should use a "wheel sealant" or wax them just like the paint on the car. it will make cleaning them a lot easier

JiMi_DRiX

Reaction score
try some pink paint polish, I cant really give you an exact brand, because the stuff I have at work is from a supplier, its not regular stuff you can just get at wherever. Any kind of paint polish (not wax) might work though.
I had those exact wheels, and thats just the paint finish dulling out. I once acid washed, and polished the wheels a few times, and it brought them back quite a bit. But once the caps go, theyre gone and you need to repaint them.

OP
OP
B

Blue95GT

Reaction score
This is most likely the last season with these rims.. Im gonna try a few things first and see what it does...

blue9550gt

Reaction score
those pony wheels are a powder coated alum. rim bout the only thing 2 fix it is 2 have someone who knows wat there doin to respray that powder coatin back on and that should fix ur problem

JiMi_DRiX

Reaction score
Acid wash and polish fixed mine quite a bit :) Theyre no longer on the car though, obviously. Not sure if I have any pics of when they were though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stillridin

Members online