Wheels & Tires questions

Bronze? Anthracite? or Silver?

• Total voters

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure this topic has been beat to shit already, but I'd like to think that everybody's car and its looks are "somewhat" unique so here it goes...

My '95 Cobra is black with a black leather interior. The wheels are black. So, it's got the whole blacked out look going, which I'm pretty burned out on seeing it everywhere for a while now.

I have 17x9 wheels with 255/45's in front and 275/40's in the back. All the wheel/tire sets that I'm looking at on LMR come with 265/35x18 fronts and 285/35x18 rears. OK, that's the background info. Here are the questions:

1. If I stay with the current tires I have and just replace the wheels for a new/different look, should I also stay with 17x9's all the way around or 17x9 in the front and 17x10 (or 10.5?) in the rear? Will my 275/40's fit on a 10 or 10.5 wheel? It's obviously more affordable to just replace the wheels ($600 +/-) than get the wheel/tires set for $1500-$1800.

2. Do I "need" that smaller shock on the back? If I remove it, will I suffer any significant handling loss even with my Eibach Pro Plus suspension and recently installed new upper (MM) and lower control arms (MM Sport Series)? If I don't need it and it plays no significant role in the handling, can I fit wider, inset wheels and wider tires?

And last (but not least) question.... and this is an aesthetic question: I am drawn most to the SVE NVX wheel. I like how it's concave and I like the 5-spoke design and sharp lines. I'm leaning hard toward the Bronze wheel with the Anthracite 2nd and Silver 3rd choice. Keeping mind I have a black/black car, what to you all think? Bronze? Anthracite? Silver?

As always, I appreciate all your opinions and input both on the technical and the aesthetic side. Thanks also for enduring my long-windedness!!
Cheers!

joemomma

Reaction score
I'd go staggered, personally (it's what I went with). These cars look too good with a big ole tire out back! I went 17x10.5 with a 315/35 in the rear. Fronts are 17x9 with 245s. As for clearance, I just flipped the quad shock (I'm guessing that is what you're referring to). Basically just take it off, flip it 180 degrees, and reinstall. I've not had any rubbing issues, and I'm running Eibach Sportlines with KYB shocks (I elected not to replace the factory quad shock to save a few bucks). Although, with your aftermarket control arms, you could possibly remove them altogether and not have any negative impact. The 275 - according to my Google-foo, should be fine on a 10" wheel.

In regards to the color - I've only seen one bronze wheel setup that I liked and that was on a truck. I'm just not a fan, but that's merely a personal preference. Chrome always looks good with black, it's just not the "popular" choice right now. Fads/trends come and go - get what YOU like.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd go staggered, personally (it's what I went with). These cars look too good with a big ole tire out back! I went 17x10.5 with a 315/35 in the rear. Fronts are 17x9 with 245s. As for clearance, I just flipped the quad shock (I'm guessing that is what you're referring to). Basically just take it off, flip it 180 degrees, and reinstall. I've not had any rubbing issues, and I'm running Eibach Sportlines with KYB shocks (I elected not to replace the factory quad shock to save a few bucks). Although, with your aftermarket control arms, you could possibly remove them altogether and not have any negative impact. The 275 - according to my Google-foo, should be fine on a 10" wheel.

In regards to the color - I've only seen one bronze wheel setup that I liked and that was on a truck. I'm just not a fan, but that's merely a personal preference. Chrome always looks good with black, it's just not the "popular" choice right now. Fads/trends come and go - get what YOU like.
Jo,
315’s??? Do your rear wheels have a special offset? And who the heck makes a 315/35x17?
I gotta see this. Pictures please!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
no big deal with 315s with the right wheel and there are a tone that do them. I had 315s and I thought they were 35s but was too long to remember.

Wmac

Reaction score
You posted a similar thread a few months back and one member commented along the line that black wheels make a car look "dirty". Not his exact words.

I couldn't agree more with what he had said. Since our mustangs are all mono chrome, my opinion is that they need some bling. So for you Daryl, silver or chrome 17 x 9 and wear out the tires you have.

And you can ditch the quad shocks.

joemomma

Reaction score
Jo,
315’s??? Do your rear wheels have a special offset? And who the heck makes a 315/35x17?
I gotta see this. Pictures please!!

Nope, nothing special. Just the Cobra R from Jegs (OE Racing is the brand). The tires are Nitto 555 G2. There are pics in my build thread here (Joe's 94GT Money Pit lol).

Darkhorse95

Reaction score
I have to agree with Joemamma. The staggered look is best for our cars. I never liked how the factory wheels always sat inside the rear wheel well so deep. The staggered look makes them look so much more aggressive

TrickVert

Reaction score
I can't disagree that a 305 or 315 looks badass out back on the SN95. This is especially true on the 94/95 where it seems to add to the overall "wide" look. I long considered that for mine, but I enjoy corner carving too much, and these cars already want to understeer enough without adding more traction in the rear than the front.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
TrickVert,
Interesting point. What size rear tire are you running? I’m just curious because, like most here, I have an aftermarket suspension (designed and engineered to better the handling) and wouldn’t want to take away from that.
But you personally have never run a 305 or 315 for any real world comparison? Just asking...

TrickVert

Reaction score
I have 275/40-17 Nitto 555's all the way around. No, I've not run 305+ in the rear, as this would require a wider wheel. It stands to reason, though, that a larger contact patch will result in additional traction. Without other adjustments, added traction in the rear will increase understeer as the front tires compete with (and lose to) the better rear-end stick. Swaybar changes and suspension modifications may be able to overcome or minimize this, however.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Today I took the 275/40 on the 17x9 wheel and put it on the front ti check fitment and to see how it looks. It stuck out a tad more than I would want. Is that because it’s on a 17x9” wheel? Would a 17x10” wheel with a 275/40 tire fit better and not stick out?
Anyone?
Pics would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I am also reconsidering my wheel choice. I really like the SVE NVX style, but point was made about: it’s a ‘95 so stick to a more classic, era-appropriate look, etc. And there’s enough credence in that to take me from one half of my brain to the other. So now I am leaning hard to the SVE FR500 in chrome. They are available in 17x9 and 17x10.5 sets from LMR. So, if the 275/40 I have on the back would fit up front on the 17x9” wheel, all I would need is a set of 315’s for the 10.5” rear wheels. And, if the 275’s are too wide I can use the 255/45’s I already have up front now and just leave that size up front(which I’m fine with the fitment and look)

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
https://lmr.com/item/WK-1007UBS/1994-2004-mustang-fr500-wheel-kit
(the back to front pic of the black/copper Stang did it for me!)

I finally got off the Schneid and decided! Decided against the bronze fearing it too trendy for my long-term taste and wanted to keep a more simple, understated look. Chrome a little too flashy. Anthracite too muted. So silver it is! Also am going with the meats: 275/40 fronts; 315/35’s rear.

joemomma

Reaction score
Good call, and I agree with all of your statements. I tend to stay away from "fads" in a bigger purchase like wheel choice. Although, the black wheel "fad" has certainly stuck around much longer than I thought it would. I even ended up with some on my truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online