When do you need a cage?

RichV

Reaction score
fad9c3ea.jpg

Some of you guys may know MustangMatt, he's planning driving this on the street. This is extreme, but it would definitely not be in my thoughts to drive this anywhere but a track.

RichV

Reaction score
You're right, it used to be 11.99, but IIRC after the terminators were hitting sub 12 sec, the sanctioning bodies changed to 11.49 so you would not need a cage for a new vehicle. It just sux that you need to cage a new car to go run at the strip.

Monster Mach

Reaction score
Bullshit. I watched a dude with a 5point harness hit his helmet on the steering wheel in a collision. You will move when hit, and it can be to any direction.

Steering wheel.... not cage.. a set up cage with enough space and placed properly and you wont hit... i have never hit my head on our late model race car

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

RichV

Reaction score
Steering wheel.... not cage.. a set up cage with enough space and placed properly and you wont hit... i have never hit my head on our late model race car

Right. My point is how much the belts can flex/stretch in a collision. If they cen flex enough to hit your head on a steering wheel which is waaaayyy further away then the closest bars, there is potential there to hit.

Do you race your late model car without a helmet? I've never hit my head either, not that I know of anyway. The padding plus helmet would be kinda tough to feel specialy being strapped down with a 5 point, in a race seat, with a head and neck restraint.

At Bandimere speedway (our local 1/4 mile), if you have a cage in your car, regardless if you run 11s or 20s, you have to wear a helmet. I went out there on import day and they had guys with caged 17sec monsters out there. lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it would seem to be that if that person was in a racecar, with a cage and hrns's that if his head can hit the steering wheel that there might be something wrong with that set up. If the straps have stretched that much I would have to think he was over due to replace them?

Monster Mach

Reaction score
Right. My point is how much the belts can flex/stretch in a collision. If they cen flex enough to hit your head on a steering wheel which is waaaayyy further away then the closest bars, there is potential there to hit.

Do you race your late model car without a helmet? I've never hit my head either, not that I know of anyway. The padding plus helmet would be kinda tough to feel specialy being strapped down a 5 point, in a race seat, with a head and neck restraint.

At Bandimere speedway (our local 1/4 mile), if you have a cage in your car, regardless if you run 11s or 20s, you have to wear a helmet. I went out there on import day and they had guys with caged 17sec monsters out there. lol
I dont hit my head with a helmet on lmao im 6'3".. i dont enter any track without my helmet and neck brace (been in wayy to many accidents to even think about not using a brace and helmet it saves your neck every time

copmagnet

Reaction score
my track rules are-

first time out you can slide with anything, no helmet-no cage

second time
-you know what times you can hit, if your below 7.49 (1/8th) you have to have a cage.
-must have helmet.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ive always heard 11.49 you need a cage...obviously some tracks are more relaxed about this than other.

When I ran my car at cecil faster than 11.50 numerous times in a row nobody said a word to me.

If it was a real race day and not a test and tune I believe they would have said something or kicked me out but they tend to not give a shit/ theres so many cars there on a test and tune night they cant keep track.

My cars a street car and will never have a cage though, even if im trapping 140.

brian95

Reaction score
if you run faster then 11.49 you need a 5 point most put 6 point roll bar all the way down to 10.00. 8 point cage needed when you hit 9.99 if the firewall in in stock location un modified. if motor set back an inch or more then 6 point only good until i believe 10.49. Also 2013 rule now says 2008 or newer mustang can run to 10.00 without a rollbar.

RichV

Reaction score
What is a 5 point? How does it attach?

I've only heard of even # point, that's where the cage meets the chassis.

4 point - 2 behind seats, 2 in trunk
6 point - 2 in front foot area, 2 behind seat, 2 in trunk
8 point - 2 in front foot area, 4 behind seat, 2 in trunk

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
The 5 pt is just no passenger side door bar I don't know why they don't require it I've never seem anymore run a 5pt

brian95

Reaction score
yea most shops that install them usual do 6 point to tighten up the frame on both sides

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online