When is it a good time to tune?

CanadianBacon

Reaction score
Hey yall, new to the 4.6L mustang world! Just picked up a 96 GT, and added a cold air intake. Other than that it's 100% stock, in the spring I plan on doing a full exhaust(catted/xpipe and cutback) and possibly headers. I was thinking of shorty headers?

So on YouTube videos I've seen gains of non-tuned cars picking up hp with this, but my question is would it be a huge difference tuned vs non with these changes?
Is the SCT X4/SF4 a good option? My only other plans is maybe a PI head swap later down the road.
Thanks

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
^
What he said.

I never really like to admit ttocs to be right, but he is. The car computer can handle most upgrades untill the cams get swapped or more cubic inches are added.

OP
OP
C

CanadianBacon

Reaction score
its not worth the $$$ till your into the heads/cam
Thanks! That'll save me some money(temporarily lol). As far as exhaust are the stock manifolds fine, or would I benefit more swapping those out as well?

Do the 96 manifolds bolt up to later PI heads? Or should I hold off on that part as well until I get to that point? Thanks

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yes they bolt on exactly the same. No fitment issues.

Now for headers, their are fitment issues. Headers arnt so bad when an aftermarket k- member is swapped in, but are still a pain. The steering shaft being so close further complicates the install process. Their also is alternative steering shafts available that help with clearance.

Many have had success with header installs, but its not a simple upgrade. Their are challenges to overcome. Get the aftermarket k- member 1st

Monday

Reaction score
I own a 96 vert gt and the headers are a great investment. You don't need to get a new K-member just 'cuz you wanna put headers in.

Like everything else on my car, I did these as well. Would be the perfect opportunity to upgrade the motor mounts and tranny mount, 'cuz you're gonna be fukin with these regardless; both upper O2 sensors; good chance to work on your egr tube; steering - I had to drop the steering rack as well - new bolts in the STOCK K-Member. Get some really good header bolts as well.

and yeah, it took a while.

jus sayin

==================================================

re-read your post...

I did a complete exhaust and went with down-pipes before the axle. Tuned it to Gm... :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txnszn

Members online