Who REALLY knows cams and NPI heads?

9psi 98

Reaction score
Yep, I'm trying to get some big blower cams in my NPI heads. I know it's possible, but just how much lift can I fit in there without having to use offset retainers or having my spring seats machined? If I use offset retainers, then how big of a cam can I use? I'm getting a lot of info about PI cams and springs, along with a bunch of info from 16-17 year old's that have never changed a spark plug before trying to tell me about all there is to changing a cam and springs is to use a spring compressor...... :wall: I need some REAL and reliable info so I can buy my stuff and make it work the first time. No trial and error with this....I need facts not just a load of BS that you read on another forum. :stupid:

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
You'll hit coil stack at around .545, so safely, .540.

About all there is to changining cams IS a compressor, and compressed air, or a rope to hold the valves up.

OP
OP

9psi 98

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I've been looking for some info about the max lift I can safely run. I'm all set when it comes to changing the valve springs, I still don't know whether I'll need the offset retainers or not though. I've been trying to contact Steen Racing to see if they machined the spring seats....but their phone number is out of service.

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
agreed .540 is a good number. But why wouldnt you run an offset retainer? The bigger the cam, the more power, up until you see more than .600 lift. Mod motors dont need the really high lift cams. But with an offset retainer you can run a better blower cam IMO. Take it for what its worth, but I am 16, and Have done the valve spring swap, PI head swap and degreed the cams.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
From what I understand, steen is completely out of business. I heard however, that they had a secondary shop do all their actual machine work, so you may want to search for that info.

OP
OP

9psi 98

Reaction score
That sucks if they are out of business. I was hoping that they had some record of my car in their files somewhere so I could find out exactly what is in my block without tearing it all apart. I'll look for a blower cam that is in the .540 range. Hopefully there is one out there, but all of the one's that I'm finding have a little more lift.

OP
OP

9psi 98

Reaction score
Those cams may be a good "plan B" for what I'm doing as they have only .532 lift on both intake and exhaust sides. The CMS cams that I wanted are .536/.540. I really want to find someone who has NPI heads and is running NPI heads with cams with a similar lift. Crower is starting to catch my eye though because they sound safer. The VT/CMS cams seem to be the ultimate goal though.

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
after talking to my buddy. .530 is the max i would go. Good luck finding a blower cam that has that type of low lift. Only way to go is custom grind. Same price as a normal grind. I can get you in contact with my buddy. He is who did my head porting and speced out some nice cams out for me. TOo bad i couldnt run the cams without fly cuts. But custom grind is the only way.

OP
OP

9psi 98

Reaction score
MustangMatt96GT said:
after talking to my buddy. .530 is the max i would go. Good luck finding a blower cam that has that type of low lift. Only way to go is custom grind. Same price as a normal grind. I can get you in contact with my buddy. He is who did my head porting and speced out some nice cams out for me. TOo bad i couldnt run the cams without fly cuts. But custom grind is the only way.

Do you mean .530 max while using offset retainers or without them. The Crower low-lift blower cams have a max lift of .532 and are made for the NPI heads, which isn't far off that .530 mark at all. The CMS cams that I'll end up buying is only .008 over that at .540. I'll do a swap with my stock springs in there and check PTV clearance, that way I won't waste my time swapping springs and retainers. If they don't hit then, they aren't going to hit ever. I'll give Crower a call tomorrow. Jim at CMS has been very helpful, but he like many others doesn't build on NPI heads.

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
.530 is without offset retainers. I personnally say get the retainers and then go custom ground. Will make more power than any off the shelf cam.

OP
OP

9psi 98

Reaction score
MustangMatt96GT said:
.530 is without offset retainers. I personnally say get the retainers and then go custom ground. Will make more power than any off the shelf cam.

any recommendations for custom grind companies? Anyone?

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
MustangMatt96GT said:

You realize teh PI cams everyone uses are over .530?

OP
OP

9psi 98

Reaction score
J.R. said:
MustangMatt96GT said:

You realize teh PI cams everyone uses are over .530?

Yup, I realize it. The 1999 PI cams that I have have a lift of .531 and I do not have offset retainers.....

Pennywise2

Reaction score
9psi 98 said:
MustangMatt96GT said:

any recommendations for custom grind companies? Anyone?
Your best option in my opnion but be:
1.Custom grind blower camshafts from CMS.
2.Use the stock PI camshafts because they flow plenty of air for your Eaton supercharger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online