Why can't I go into gear!?

1995mustang5.0

Reaction score
Okay so I have a 95 GT with a T5 and recently did a clutch replacement. The parts I used are a Ram stage 2 clutch, frpp pilot bearing, Ram TOB, frpp steel bearing retainer, with a Steeda quadrant and adjustable clutch cable. Since putting in everything it wont go into gear when car is on. I've read other threads on this situation but never seem to get a definite answer. Could it be a simple adjustment of the cable in order for it to properly work or could it be something that ill have to drop the tranny again? This is the first time I have done a clutch replacement so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

TanTop94

Reaction score
Id adjust it, never done a clutch replacement but it seems like a good place to start so you dont have to drop the tranny just yet.

RichV

Reaction score
Yea, adjust it first.

Make sure there is zero slack in the cable.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, post an introduction when you get a chance.

The car won't go into gear at all? Silly, but you don't have a stopper that's preventing you from going into gear?
Yeah, go ahead and try to adjust the cable. I think thats all you can really do.

If you do have to drop the tranny again, replace your TOB with a ford one. Trust me, you'll have to do it anyways. I went through a few non ford TOB before I went with ford one.

Also, what cable are you use? If its an aftermarket one, scrap it now. Go get a ford one. The aftermarket cables will cause you nothing but trouble.

OP
OP

1995mustang5.0

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input! Im going to try and adjust it over the weekend. As far as the cable goes im using a steeda adjustable cable. I think im just going to use the cable and TOB till they are shot so I don't feel like I completely wasted money haha. Got another question now since this is the first time messing with an adjustable cable, where do I start when adjusting? How far should the firewall adjuster be sticking out, and how many threads should be showing where the cable connects to the fork?

RichV

Reaction score
Firewall all the way in. The cable nut should be as far as you can go by hand, back it up with the 2nd nut. Then go and do some clutch work (in/out or go for a drive) and fine tune with the firewall adjuster as the cable gets slack.

You do have the adjustable cable as well right?

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Double check the stop bolts in your shifter. Pop the shifter boot off and there's two bolts that are designed to prevent the shifter from going too far forward or back. Sometimes one of them can loosen up and prevent the shifter from going into gear at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online