Why does my car stall?

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I got a check engine light because my car was running hot and sounding like a Model A. I pulled over before I could let it stall, and had no problems starting it back up. Here are what I think the codes were:

511 16 511 11 611 11 76 28 11 76 28

511OEEC Processor Read Only Memory (ROM) test failure
65CFuel control system not switching to closed loop
16RErratic idle, oxygen sensor out of range or throttle not closing

61O,CCoolant temperature switch out of specified range

76RNo vane airflow change

280,RVane air temperature sensor or circuit

511 is one I always see. I think it's related to my chip.

07GtS197

Reaction score
You could be right. Try removing the chip and resetting the battery to see if thats the cause.

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
The new ICM came in today, so I installed it. Old one was motorcraft with the part number starting with F1. So I'm assuming my old ICM was from 1991. So, wow. If the rest of this car was that old, it would be a classic! Well, I guess the blocks from an 86, but, whatever. Now the only way to test it is to drive for two hours and see what happens. Although, I would misfire a little during cold startups while in park. I wonder if that might help anything of if my timing is STILL off.

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Yes. The block is an 86. I said nothing about the heads, except in post 3 when I said that the heads were off a 2001 Explorer.

Updates, car still misfires during cold startups, revs at 1000 at idle until I shift into gear and start driving. Hadn't been able to drive it for more than a few miles after installing a new thermostat. Had to reinstall it 2 more times because it kept leaking. The radiator had no fluid though the reservoir was full. Radiator does leak at a weld, and somewhere near the top of the water pump, so don't know if I cracked something or not. Can't take apart the engine to inspect further because the car needs to stay mobile. Meaning, I need to drive it up and down the driveway when needed as we're trying to build a separate garage, and while I can park it on the driveway, I need to move it when needed. Can't work on it in the street because 1) I don't want my car to stay there for a long period, and 2) despite not having an HOA, it's a pretty nice neighborhood, and the neighbors would freak and make the town come out to issue some kind of ordinance violation, even though a vehicle that is currently registered and inspected cannot contribute to urban blight. But I need to do something because my registrations up in January and to keep my plates, it will need to pass inspection for me to be allowed to register.

oh yeah, and about sounding like a model A, it did not sound like that yesterday when I drove it from my driveway to the street, since it wasn't given enough time to heat up. Historically, I only hear this noise when it overheats.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.