Why is my trunk lid such a pain in the ass to lift???

W

Wes8398

Yes, I have replaced the lift supports (shocks) supporting the lid. It doesn't close on me or anything, but lifting the thing up is a royal pain. The lift supports seem to push AGAINST you lifting the lid too fast...so you're forced to lift it really slowly - no matter how much force you put into it. It's just really annoying me today, so I thought I'd see if this is "normal" for our cars or not. Oh, and it goes down just fine. (speaking of going down...my girl just got outta the shower.....see ya! :behind:)

Suspect

Reaction score
yea when i didnt have a spoiler i could just tap it up and it would stay. now i put on the spoiler.. 1st time going in the trunk lifted it and *BAM that b*tch came right back down on my head. :rant: so now i make sure its all the way up before sticking my head in there.
;D

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
sounds like you guys need to hit the gym if you cant lift the trunk lid :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

flex.gif
flex.gif
flex.gif
flex.gif
flex.gif
flex.gif
flex.gif
flex.gif
flex.gif

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

Snakebit said:
sounds like you guys need to hit the gym if you cant lift the trunk lid
lol I knew someone would chime in with something like that. I'm a personal trainer on the side of my real job, and I've seriously considered using my trunk as a peice of equipment. Bend at the knees, place hands at shoulder-height on the lip over the licence plate and press up with legs. lol New leg press/squat exercise! ...till someone tears the trunk lid right off. hahaha
ANyway, it's good to hear that this is "normal", cause I was pissed right off when I bought new lift supports and it still did it. I needed the new supports anyway though. The ends of the old ones snapped right off when the trunk surround somehow got filled with water and it froze. I went to lift the trunk and snapped the rods of the lifts. oops.

Hybridbird

Reaction score
Yep,95% of that weight is from that HEAVY ASS spoiler,you would be surprised.When I swapped my decklid for one with no spoiler,I would have sworn it was fiberglass if I didn't know better.That stock spoiler is polyurethane and its SOLID all the way through..... ::), but Im SURE it was 18 cents cheaper for Ford to make it that way...LOL. :hammer:

GDawg

Reaction score
When I first bought my car, I could unlock the trunk lid and it would slowly lift up on it's own with no help.

Then I got rear ended and after they fixed my trunk, the first time I opened it, it slammed back down on my hand! I was pissed!!! :mad:

I took it back and they replaced the "shocks". After that the stupid thing seems to fight me when I try to lift it. I think the replacement shocks are different than the original ones.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
The main reason why the lids are opening so slow, is because the supports decompresses at a slow rate. It kinda reminds me of an old bicycle wheel pump. It used to be tough both ways. It can not be the spoiler, because it weights a meer 8.6 pounds (yeah, I actually took mine off and weighted it on a digital scale).

smasher41

Reaction score
for some reason my trunk doesnt like to open

My keyless entry doesnt work with it(its not a ford system though) but it does work with the button in the glove box.

sometimes i have to push on my truck then turn the key for it to "pop" unlocked

any ideas?

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
smasher41 said:
for some reason my trunk doesnt like to open

My keyless entry doesnt work with it(its not a ford system though) but it does work with the button in the glove box.

sometimes i have to push on my truck then turn the key for it to "pop" unlocked

any ideas?
i have a viper system and my trunk doesnt like to unlock with the key fob either

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have to push down on my trunk when i turn the key and it doesn't work with the button either...but i did offset my latch slightly so it did this.

riored96gt

Reaction score
I just tried some trunk shocks from a v-6, but there are 2 different shocks...with spoiler and without.
I went back to the originals!

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Well, mine is stock. And I placed it onto a digital scale, which is pretty accurate. Mine said 8.6lbs. There is another thread in there all about weight loss on the car. The guy, who started that thread, has his spoiler tipping the scale at 9lbs. I don't know what the hell are you running on the back of your car

gt96stang

Reaction score
Hybridbird said:
The stock (poly) spoilers weigh a whole lot more than 8 pounds.

yeah, while the spoiler might seem heavy, it's not all that heavy... mine actually feels pretty light when I'm holding it..

Hybridbird

Reaction score
Im not "running" anything on my car because I think spoilers look like ass on these cars thats why mine is gone.Its also the same reason why this stupid ass lightbar I just put on will be coming off soon I gotta find plastic 1st.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
normal. Mine does that also. Need some muscle to pull it up and if your hand slips than it slams back down and locks itself.

GDawg

Reaction score
Hybridbird said:
Im not "running" anything on my car because I think spoilers look like ass on these cars thats why mine is gone.Its also the same reason why this stupid ass lightbar I just put on will be coming off soon I gotta find plastic 1st.

So... you cut your ($550 each) rear panels to install your lightbar only to come here to dog it and complain about replacing it and fixing your rear panels?

How dumb is that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online