Will this cam work for me?

PinkieT

Reaction score
Guy locally has a set of PI heads with Comp Cam springs and 270AH cams for sale. I have a stick with 3.73 gears, BBK CAI, Accufab 70mm TB and plenum on my 98. Have Ford Racing PI intake and BBK shorties to go on, plus have an older SCT tuner. I'm not looking for a peaky motor, I don't race, but I'm thinking these heads/cam might be just the ticket. Thoughts????

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Gonna need some intake valve reliefs. Dont need much, but still needs it.

Car most definitely will need a dyno tune. Dont trust downloaded tunes. People always have trouble with them. Since you already have the SCT handheld, just find an SCT dyno tuner. Lee Blankenship in Shelbyville Ky be the man id call/email. He may even be able to help with a downloadable tune to get you close...idk. He pretty good at what he does.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

BigBore96

Reaction score
Have you considered npi specific cams? You dont have to switch to pi heads to make power. Npi heads allow a larger cam and you can mate the pi intake up to them.

But if the price is right for the pi heads and the 270 bumpsticks its worth doing if youre ready for the work. Youll definitely want a tune and Im sure you know the older sct makes no difference. Dyno tunes are great but for an off the shelf cam you could have good luck with a remote tuner. Willie at Dirty Dirty Racing has done great remote work for me in the past. Hes very helpful dialing it in remotely.

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
Ya they will work, but need to be degreed. Also with that big lift you will need to notch the pistons to avoid PTV smack :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Have you considered npi specific cams? You dont have to switch to pi heads to make power. Npi heads allow a larger cam and you can mate the pi intake up to them.

But if the price is right for the pi heads and the 270 bumpsticks its worth doing if youre ready for the work. Youll definitely want a tune and Im sure you know the older sct makes no difference. Dyno tunes are great but for an off the shelf cam you could have good luck with a remote tuner. Willie at Dirty Dirty Racing has done great remote work for me in the past. Hes very helpful dialing it in remotely.

$400 for heads with cams and springs installed. Is that a good price? Cams and springs new would be $800. There is a dyno tuner Big 3 Racing only about ten miles away. If I get these cams installed on my stock PI heads, how much HP would I be losing vs. NPIs?

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Ya they will work, but need to be degreed. Also with that big lift you will need to notch the pistons to avoid PTV smack :)

Still learning here. Can the fly cutting be done with the pistons in the block? Ballpark cost? Would I have to notch pistons if I used my NPI heads?

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
Still learning here. Can the fly cutting be done with the pistons in the block? Ballpark cost? Would I have to notch pistons if I used my NPI heads?

To properly cut the pistons they would have to be removed. The intake valve pretty much kisses the cylinder wall.

If you used the NPI heads, you wouldn't have to notch them, but I'm not sure the cams will work well with NPI heads.

BigBore96

Reaction score
That price is not bad but keep in mind stock 2v heads are like B cobra heads. Theyve got next no to market value so look at it like youre paying for springs and cams. The fact that theyre ibstalled in a head is a bonus.

How much work are you able to do yourself and how much power are you wanting?

Silver95bird

Reaction score
For that price I'd buy the parts for sure. If you don't like the 270s, they're a great bartering item for whatever you want. If you run them, degree them for sure and get a real tune. I'd do the headswap at that point just for the compression boost. You can always port either head if you really want more.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
That price is not bad but keep in mind stock 2v heads are like B cobra heads. Theyve got next no to market value so look at it like youre paying for springs and cams. The fact that theyre ibstalled in a head is a bonus.

How much work are you able to do yourself and how much power are you wanting?

Right now I've got more time than money, and as an out of shape 60 year old who has only done head swaps on cam-in-block motors not sure I want to do a SOHC swap myself even if I had the time. I'm not looking for a race car, would love 300 at the flywheel N/A when I'm all done.

The other route I was thinking of is a centrifical blower on stock long block with the intake and exhaust mods I mentioned above. Turbo would be great, but is a lot more complicated.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Any hp upgrade to a modular in a mustang is work!

Silver95bird

Reaction score
If you think it's hard in a mustang, try the same thing in an mn12 tbird/cougar. Lol. Seriously though, it's not really that different doing heads or cams on a modular, you just have to do the cam timing twice. The intakes are easier to swap, save moving the manifold around the egr tube.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Here is what you do....pull the engine, swap to cobra 3cc pistons, get the block decked .030", use the felpro permatorque headgaskets as long with the heads you just mentioned. Send me them pistons so i can valve relief them for you.

Reaction score
Here is what you do....pull the engine, swap to cobra 3cc pistons, get the block decked .030", use the felpro permatorque headgaskets as long with the heads you just mentioned. Send me them pistons so i can valve relief them for you.

Arrrrrre you offering work?

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score

Man, if I pull the engine, a 4v motor is going back in. I just bought some parts off a guy who knows my car. He said he went the PI head route and had them re-done three times and ended up blowing his motor when valves broke. I'm thinking more and more leaving my nice 68k long block alone, do intake and exhaust bolt-ons for now, look for a mild performance cam I don't need to modify the pistons for and if I really want more power bolt on a blower.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
In that case, do the pi intake and mustang pi cams. (For those suspecting pi cams are all the same, refer to my npi & pi cam measuring thread).

BigBore96

Reaction score
I agree. Definitely put the pi intake on. But putting in stock pi cams nets you next to nothing.

Slap some springs and an npi specific cam in with some 4.10s. Will give you close to the power you want, a great sound, and a hell of a seat of the pants.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I dont know...pi cams favor npi heads.

BigBore96

Reaction score
Expense wise to do it yourself is cheap but Pi cams in an npi head are worth like 10hp. Not worth the effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markstang73

Members online