Rebuilding my 2V

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Curious why would you install new rods and pistons?
just replace rod and mains bearings, and pistons and rings.
keep the rods
there are better pistons out there.
i don't care for the ford stock ones, unless they are a ford performance type.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If you are going to buy parts and want performance at a slight upgrade naturally aspirated, not boosted, source out a set of 5.4l flat top pistons for a navigator or 3valve 5.4l and matching ring set. The flat top pistons will bring compression up and higher octane pump gas will need to be ran. Deeper rear gears help alot too. The use of said pistons are alot lighter than 4.6l pistons. Get the pistons valve reliefed for potential cam upgrade for the future. IIRC The relief depth isnt all that much, something like .070" deep.

The car will run fine with higher compression on stock cams, but a tune will maximize its performance. A tune will definitely be needed with any upgraded cam swap. Keep in mind the stock pi intake begins to choke out a little bit over 6000rpm so a big cam isnt necessary.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Take a razor blade standing up straight and scrape the surface. If you get carbon gathering on the blade, youll know if the surface is clean enough. Also depending on headgasket type, will determine the surface roughness and cleanlyness. The felpro offered at the parts stores are typically forgiving to deck surface imperfections and do good with rough surface treatment or at least im my findings they do. Im a fan of the razor blade trick for scrape cleaning and adding micro scratches to the surface. Just let us know what headgaskets you go with. We all lead you in the right direction.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
Yes second pass made them better. Absolutely worth the effort. They weren’t dirty but now the deck is smoother.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Exactly!
The some headgaskets embed into the aluminum around the bore chamber. The cylinder head will need to be decked to clean up if you notice a shallow ring groove. The parts store felpro perma torque mls do not embed and will accept this groove. Ill try snap a few pics to show what im talking about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
Exactly!
The some headgaskets embed into the aluminum around the bore chamber. The cylinder head will need to be decked to clean up if you notice a shallow ring groove. The parts store felpro perma torque mls do not embed and will accept this groove. Ill try snap a few pics to show what im talking about.
Yes I’m interested in seeing that, if you got some pics thanks.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
What’s a good source for bottom end rebuild kits?
I know about enginetech and they have greats kits at good prices but you need to have a business account. Any other good ones.

d.garza18

Reaction score
I’m rebuilding my 2V. Starting off with a PI top end and iron non PI stock bottom. I want to do rings and and bearings for the rotating assembly. De-burr all the edges on the block.
Getting new oil pump. I want to get a moroso windage tray.

On the PI heads I’m installing new seals, heavier springs and want get some Todd warren cams. New adjustable cam gears. Heads are getting the 5 angle job. I want to port the heads my self. New tensioners and guides.
Installing new BBK tune length shorty headers.
Going to reseal everything of course.

Any recommendations on things I should do while I have the block apart?

View attachment 28324 View attachment 28323
Skip the shortys.

d.garza18

Reaction score
I cleaned up my block at the car wash and sprayed some water displacer afterwards. Mounted it back on the engine stand. I honed the cylinders and I couldn’t see any major pits scratches or low spots. Very minor stuff.
When I took apart the heads I noticed the cam journals are scared. Apparently not terrible bad but not minor either. When I run my nail over several of the journals my nail does get hung up. So now I’m trying to decide if I buy new heads or just take some sand paper to the journals and send it. I personally don’t like doing things half ass, I rather have confidence in what I do but I don’t have enough experience to tell if I am over reacting on this.
What do you all recommend?
View attachment 28489View attachment 28490View attachment 28491
Replace the heads. My journals were the same way. Found a good set of reman heads at my pull a part. But my cams wouldn’t spin in them so that’s why I swapped heads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.