Will this idea work?

OP
OP

97aztecgt

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, why wouldn't you just do a PI swap and buy a KB for a PI engine? Instead of buying that adapter and then running an Eaton/KB/Whipple?

Brenton

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Because Eatons are cheap and easy. But everyone got all carried away with, yeah but then i could just spend another 5k and have this...

Even your setup is 6k, not exactly chump change.

Vs about 3k for an Eaton.

OP
OP

97aztecgt

Reaction score
Will a t-56 bolt straight up to my block?

This is what I am dead set on now...

Use my block and upgrade to the following.

Cobra crank - I found local for $275 fresh out the machine shop.

Adapter - $2,000

Supercharger - Ported Eaton $500

Fuel pump - A1000 $325

Injectors - 60# $400

Heads - PI heads w/ cams $300 (maybe port)

Rods - 4340 H beam rods $380

Pistons -18cc $700

Will I need to get a heat exchanger as well? Should an intake off of a 03/04 Cobra from JLT work as well?

Brenton

OP
OP

97aztecgt

Reaction score
Will the Cobra crank just drop right in the block that's in the car now? It it a 6 or 8 bolt main?

Forgot to add, I just got a new DD, so the car will start to get tore down in a month or so.

Brenton

OP
OP

97aztecgt

Reaction score
Even if I bought the Eaton, wouldn't I have to get the heat exchanger and all the other necessary stuff to make the Eaton function properly?

Brenton

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
A Cobra T56 will bolt to your block and work fine.

A Cobra crank will drop in, the 6 or 8 bolt's is for the flywheel, not the mains.

For everything else you need to make it work, you'd have to contact Torktech, I have no idea what they include, or if the adapter even allows the intercooler.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
97aztecgt said:
Now that I think about it, why wouldn't you just do a PI swap and buy a KB for a PI engine? Instead of buying that adapter and then running an Eaton/KB/Whipple?

Brenton

KB only offers kits for PI motors with non-return line EFI. i guess our cars do have it (??? thats what the KB rep. told me on the phone)

OP
OP

97aztecgt

Reaction score
I think the 4v Cobra new edges have a non-return line as well. I'm going to have to figure something out. I'm going to call that place with the adapter to see what kind of info I can get from them.

Brenton

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
you stole my idea!!!! i wanted a teskid block, high comp internals, and 03/04 4v heads with 98 cobra intake cams, a mach1 manifold and a t-56 in my car!

so far i have the heads and the trans, i need to source everything else.

i didnt read thru everything, just skimmed thru some of it. here is the run down of my research:

-the cobra 4.6 block will fit perfectly in the engine bay of your car
-if you get the teskid block, the 03/04 heads will work perfectly as well, just a simple bolt on
-the t-56 will bolt in directly to ANY 4.6 that fits in a mustang. if you get one off a cobra, you will need to get a dallas speedcal to make the speedo work, since the cobra came with an electronic VSS versus our mechanical one. also, you will need the install kit from D&D transmissions to make it mount up. you will need a shorter driveshaft: if you already have an aluminum one, you can get it shortened by 3/4" (i believe), rebalanced, and it will work. if you get the cobra driveshaft, you will need to get a special u-joint and swap over the flange from the GT driveshaft to the cobra driveshaft.
-to make the stock eaton work, you will need a lot of parts off an 03/04 cobra, much easier to make it an 01 cobra and get a KB kit for it, or find a parts car/donor car which will be hard to do.
-since your car has a return style fuel system, you will need to run 96-98 cobra fuel rails and the cobra fuel pressure regulator. these fuel rails will not work perfectly with the newer manifolds, they need to be slightly modified to make them work. you can get 98 cobra injectors to use, but if you go with a KB or Whipple, i suggest some 60lb injectors
-if you plan on keeping the wiring simple, you will need to get a 96-98 cobra timing chain cover, 96-98 cobra spark plug wires, and 96-98 cobra valve covers, or make the wiring complicated and convert it from the dual coil packs to the coil-on-plug design of the new cobras

here is what i would suggest you do if you want to go with a KB or whipple:

get the teskid block, forge the internals, keep the compression low, maybe 9:1.
get the 03/04 cobra heads, keep the stock cams on there since they are made for the blower (or get mach1 heads and get blower cams in there)
get the 99/01 cobra or the 03/04 mach1 upper and lower intake manifolds, with everything you need to install the heads as well (crossover tubes, radiator hoses, t-stat housing, belts, valve covers, etc)
go get a supercharger kit for a mach1 (or 01 cobra, depending on what manifold you are using) and install that.

doing it this way will avoid you having to get an 03/04 cobra timing cover, the front accessories, the supercharger drive accessories, and all that other good stuff. ive worked on taking the heads off a termie before, and trust me, that stupid crank pulley is not a fun job.

OP
OP

97aztecgt

Reaction score
Thanks for that wonderful info reivaxtorres! However, I am going to leave the car a 2v and run a ported Eaton off of an 03/04 Cobra or maybe a KB or Whipple if I can find a good deal. A company makes an adapter for PI cars to run the Eaton or any SC that fits on a 03/04 Cobra. I am going to use my stock block since I don't plan on going past 600 whp and I'm pretty sure the block will handle that. I found a lot of what I need off of MMR's website and the car will be packed with the goodies below...

Use my block and upgrade to the following.

Cobra crank - I found local for $275 fresh out the machine shop.

Adapter - $2,000

Supercharger - Ported Eaton $500

Fuel pump - A1000 $325

Injectors - 60# $400

Heads - PI heads w/ cams $300 (maybe port)

Rods - 4340 H beam rods $380

Pistons -18cc $700

Brenton

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
honeslty, i would say dont even think about getting the adapter to make the 03/04 eaton work on your car. do everything else you have planned on there but just get a whipple or KB made for the 2v cars. yes, its going to cost you a bit more than the $2500 (for the adapter and the ported eaton), but in the long run will cost you cheater in time and headaches. if you run the cobra eaton, you still need to source:
-cobra timing cover
-cobra cobra alternator
-cobra eaton front accessories (pullies, etc)
-intercooler
-remote mount the coil packs
-cobra intake assembly
-cobra throttle cables (and cruise control cable if you plan on keeping that)
-and a bunch of other misc parts you would need.

what does a new KB system run for our cars, anyways? i think last i checked into it it was around $5k, wasnt it?

OP
OP

97aztecgt

Reaction score
They don't even make them for the npi cars anymore to my knowledge. I def understand what you are saying about not running the adapter and just run a KB for a PI car. However, what about the fuel? Isn't it a different type of fuel system?

Brenton

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
97aztecgt said:
They don't even make them for the npi cars anymore to my knowledge.  I def understand what you are saying about not running the adapter and just run a KB for a PI car.  However, what about the fuel?  Isn't it a different type of fuel system?

Brenton

Kenne Bell still makes them for the NPI cars, take a look at their site: http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/gt96-03_2v/gt96-04.htm

here is the thing about the fuel system......so long as you tune the car, its ok to run the supercharger for the PI cars on the NPI cars because the supercharger doesnt control the fuel system, the computer does. you will prob need to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors (injectors come in the KB kit), maybe even add an after market fuel pressure regulator, but you can run it.

the locations for the fuel injectors in the exact same in either the NPI or the PI fuel rails, only difference is that one of the rails is made for the return style system, while the other is made for the retunless style one

OP
OP

97aztecgt

Reaction score
That's awesome, but I would pretty much have to get the 99-04 kit just because of my PI heads though, correct? So I can use my npi fuel rail with the PI KB kit?

Brenton

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
97aztecgt said:
That's awesome, but I would pretty much have to get the 99-04 kit just because of my PI heads though, correct? So I can use my npi fuel rail with the PI KB kit?

Brenton

yup, thats pretty much right, just get the PI kit, use the NPI fuel rails, and check with KB on how much boost you can run. i know with ported PI heads on the NPI pistons, you can can run higher boost.

good luck man
-xavier

OP
OP

97aztecgt

Reaction score
Awesome! They have a 2.1L and 2.6L kit. The 2.1 only goes from 6-14psi and the 2.6 goes from 9-25psi. I really think that I'm going to save up for the 2.6L kit, it'll be worth it in the end.

I guess I'll go ahead and build the motor/tranny first, get it back in the car and driving well. Then get the SC a few more months down the road. It all just depends on the green and this new job I might get!

Brenton

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
yup. call D&D performance so they can tell you what the torque rating is on the t-56, you might not even have to built it, just get a way better clutch. also, they have a direct bolt-on t-56 they sell for our cars, making everything work perfect INCLUDING the speedo...but i know if you get the trans from them, its pricey at about $3k or more. good luck with that new job opportunity, hope you get it!

-x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online