Winter tires.. What works for you

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
So summers over and winters right around the corner. I don't want to ruin my new wheels so I'm gonna put the stockers on for the cold weather and winter. I'm not paying to have the eagle GT's removed and put on the stockers so thats outta the question. What tires would be good for the winter? NY winters can get pretty brutal and my 95 is all I have to drive. Anyone put sand bags in their trunk? What works for you.. The stockers are 17x8, should I put 235/55s on and try and get some Blizzaks?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Different car :p

But, obviously winter tires make a big difference. You can buy some lightly used ones for pretty cheap. If you have someplace for storage try to buy winter tires now.

Skinnier wheels/tires are better, so if you're using the stock rims that would be best.

Thats all I have, never driven the orange in snow. This is actually my first year I'll be driving a car in winter, miss my truck :(

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
A3B8A634-EF83-4F3E-B157-771D02FF6CDB-6203-000006BF93373DD5_zps264be68a.jpg

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Different car :p

But, obviously winter tires make a big difference. You can buy some lightly used ones for pretty cheap. If you have someplace for storage try to buy winter tires now.

Skinnier wheels/tires are better, so if you're using the stock rims that would be best.

Thats all I have, never driven the orange in snow. This is actually my first year I'll be driving a car in winter, miss my truck :(

Haha right? I have some $$ saved up, not enough for 4 tires tho. I can store my rims in my house thats no biggie. Yeah i read that skinnier tires are better in the snow so thats why Im lookin for 235/55s since the stockers are 17x8. I've never driven in the snow so I can use anything to my advantage

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Haha right? I have some $$ saved up, not enough for 4 tires tho. I can store my rims in my house thats no biggie. Yeah i read that skinnier tires are better in the snow so thats why Im lookin for 235/55s since the stockers are 17x8. I've never driven in the snow so I can use anything to my advantage

Try and find some lightly used tires, you might be able to get 4 for the price of 2.

I just bought aftermarket rims and tires from an import company here for 735. Was pretty happy with the find, tires still have tons on them.

oh also, I'd recommend you take off your chin spoiler... It'll just be a big snow plow and will get ripped off or damaged.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Blizzaks.

Ive never personally used them but have been in rwd cars with them in the snow and they have done great

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Try and find some lightly used tires, you might be able to get 4 for the price of 2.

I just bought aftermarket rims and tires from an import company here for 735. Was pretty happy with the find, tires still have tons on them.

oh also, I'd recommend you take off your chin spoiler... It'll just be a big snow plow and will get ripped off or damaged.

Yeah I gotta look on CL. Idk about taking the chin off, was a huge pita to put on and i don't really have anywhere to put it

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ive used Yokoakhamama YK 520s for years and loved them. They've updated their design to the YK 560s, tho.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
np amigo. they are a great all-season tire. They have some tire-noise in dry conditions, but thats because they are a harder compound for the snow purposes...

other than that, no complaints. Performed really well in snow! :)

my GF's car has them too. They worked well over the winter.

98BlackGT

Reaction score
believe it or not last year I drove on falken fk452's and they didn't do bad. this year I bought a truck, so the mustang will be parked this winter unless its nice out.

Magic

Reaction score
make sure you get the car oil sprayed, otherwise it'll die a painful rusty death.

Also have a look into the Hankook iPike W409, General Altimax Arctic and Firestone Winterforce tires.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Was looking into firestone winterforces.. Oil sprayed? Car already has some surface rust

chris91

Reaction score
Blizzaks all the way. You only need em for the rear too. Had them on the wifes RWD Cadillac Catera a few years ago and that thing would go through anything. I REALLY liked them. Buddy of mine had a set on his S/C 05 GT and that thing would go anywhere too.

Justang

Reaction score
I've been driving mine since '05 through Long Island winters. Have not had Blizzaks so I can't say much about them, but these are what I've had the best luck with:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS

I do a lot of fishing, so I throw plywood in the trunk and sit a couple of 5 gallon buckets full of sinkers on it. The extra weight helps. Not driving like an asshole helps too, so just be smart and aware in bad conditions.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I've been driving mine since '05 through Long Island winters. Have not had Blizzaks so I can't say much about them, but these are what I've had the best luck with:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS

I do a lot of fishing, so I throw plywood in the trunk and sit a couple of 5 gallon buckets full of sinkers on it. The extra weight helps. Not driving like an asshole helps too, so just be smart and aware in bad conditions.

My dad has them on his 03 benz which is RWD and my brother has them on his 91 fox, they're awesome tires! Turns out I can't get different tires, just gonna plastidip my bullitts and use the tires I have. I'm definitely putting something in the trunk to help keep that ass in check, and true not driving like an asshole does help. I would never drive like an asshole in the snow, I drive like a turtle in the rain, the snow I'll be crawling lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online