Witnessed a race last night! Details inside..

turbotooslow

Reaction score
So I was crusing a state route in my dad's suburban, and saw a 96-98 gt with stock exhaust and a stock looking rx-8 three-honk from idk, maybe 35 mph. I was a little far behind due to some cars in front of me, but it appeared the gt edged him out by a bit. I definately heard the rx-8 downshift first, meaning it was the M6 with 237hp or so. So, I'm itching to know which one should win! I couldn't tell at all who won because my eyesight is horrendous, but like I said, the GT appeared to be a fender or so ahead. What should this outcome be like?

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
thats a good question, i had a shot at a rx8 tonight, one of my buddys has one.. 7200rpm redilne stock... must take forever to shift in that thing.

OP
OP
T

turbotooslow

Reaction score
More input! :D. Excuse my urgency, I'm restless and can't sleep. :wall:

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Willis_98GT said:
thats a good question, i had a shot at a rx8 tonight, one of my buddys has one.. 7200rpm redilne stock... must take forever to shift in that thing.

The redline is actually 9,000 in the manual 6....but it has gearing to take advantage of the high revving wankel.

Theyre not that fast...the manual 6 is supposed to run low 15s in the 1/4...I guess high 14s are a possibility.

The auto ones will only rev to like 7500 and are like high 15/low 16s

I would think a NPI gt would edge one out honestly.

OP
OP
T

turbotooslow

Reaction score
Yeah they redline quite high - could someone clarify PI and NPI, I know it has something to do with heads, correct?

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
turbotooslow said:
Yeah they redline quite high - could someone clarify PI and NPI, I know it has something to do with heads, correct?

non pi (96-98) pi (99-04)

non pi has smaller ports

pi has bigger ports

nonpi has lower compression <-- boost me

pi has higher compression 10:1 <-- N/A Nitrous monster

and so on. thats the sum, theirs only 5000 other threads covering pi this and nonpi that..

Will

zeestraten46

Reaction score
mustang will take one all day long as long as their both stock those rx8 are a joke I havent seen a stock rx8 go faster than 15.7 in the quater the problem with them is no torque at all!

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
turbotooslow said:

Basically the heads,cams, and intake are better flowing in the 99-04 GT's, we call that PI.

96-98 has NPI heads, cams, and intake and doesnt really maker power above 4500.

NPI parts are terrible...you can gain roughly 50 (bump in compression) hp swapping pi heads,cams, and intake onto a 96-98 GT.

OP
OP
T

turbotooslow

Reaction score
awesome. That pretty much covered it. So, swapping 99-04 stock heads/cam/intake is what you are saying? Or basically upgrading in any manner will produce much better flow/power in sn95's?

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
turbotooslow said:
awesome. That pretty much covered it. So, swapping 99-04 stock heads/cam/intake is what you are saying? Or basically upgrading in any manner will produce much better flow/power in sn95's?

Honestly, if your gonna upgrade HCI on a 4.6, why not go big and do it right the first time?

Go with some ported Heads, set of cams, and pi intake.

Anything is better than NPI h/c/i basically.

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
turbotooslow said:

Honestly, if your gonna upgrade HCI on a 4.6, why not go big and do it right the first time?

Go with some ported Heads, set of cams, and pi intake.

Anything is better than NPI h/c/i basically.

couldn't have said it any better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stillridin

Members online

No members online now.