Won't start, clicks then looses all power

Motojoe

Reaction score
So I get in my car and put the key in the ignition. I hear the normal chime sound. I turn the key and Hear the starter celenoid go CLICK. The car doesn't turn over and all if a sudden I lost all battery power. No chime. No radio. Nothing. Wait a minute and still completely dead. Wait some more and get the click followed by a no power at all. So I go to jump it from my truck. Had it reving for a few mins and turn the key. CLICK , but still have power. Every time while it was hooked to my truck I would turn the key and get the click but no dead battery after. Took the jumper cables off and it was completely dead.

Sorry if this sounds weird. Just trying to take you through the entire scenario. I didn't have the typical weak starts or slow cranks prior. It just went from starting normally to this. It was running fine then 6 hours later all this happened. Nothing was left on to kill the battery. I have the battery charging now. What could it be?

MysticChaos

Reaction score
Me as well. It was my battery too, swapped it out and car started right up. No issues since.

Kilo70

Reaction score
I know this is my first post here..so bear with me.
We had a 94 that had some corroded positive cables.
The WHOLE cable down to the starter.It would do weird stuff like this and worse.
If the battery doesn't fix it..take a look at the cables for Corrosion in the strands of cable.
This went on and off for a year before I figured it out.

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
So I charged the battery over night and dropped it in this morning. All I get is a Click click click from the celenoid. Still won't turn the car over. But the radio works and the lights are bright. I guess the next step is getting the battery tested or buying a new one.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Do the lights dim while your starting.
If they don't dim then the starter solenoid is bad

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
They isn't enough time to tell. Once I turn the key I get the CLICK sound and loose all power to the car. This morning after the charge it allowed me to do it a few times but eventually lost all power.

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
Had the battery tested and it came up good. Cold cranking amps were perfect. The guy who tested it said to check my celonoid by jumping it with pliers. He said I won't get shocked. Is this true! Touch both ends and have someone turn the key. If it still doesn't start bench test the starter. Anyone have a better way to check the celonoid. He also said check the ground.

96gt4.6

Reaction score
if it was the solenoid you wouldn't loose all power after it clicking. i would put my money on either bad battery cables or loose cable connections

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
How can I check my battery cables. They look ok to me. Where else can I check besides the terminals on the battery.

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
What I don't get is when the car was being jumped by my truck I would have power after the solenoid clicked. Once I took the jumper cables off I got one click the. Everything went dead.

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
No not at all. Not even a drop. That's what I don't get.

96gt4.6

Reaction score
What I don't get is when the car was being jumped by my truck I would have power after the solenoid clicked. Once I took the jumper cables off I got one click the. Everything went dead.

its because the truck is pushing more power through them to keep the connection. one way i check it is right after trying to start it, touch all the cables if one is getting hot that's more then likely your bad cable.
a bad cable can look brand new but if you cut it open you can see all the corrosion inside. also if your connectors are not getting a solid connection to the battery that can cause it too.

if it clicks and losses power try turning the cable on the battery right after and see if the power comes back

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have a suburban that had some corrosion inside of the insulation on the posative cable. Luckily it was only the first 2" so I was able to cut the stock end and corrosion off and replace the end.

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
Well it fixed itself. Lol. I put the battery back in after being sick the last few days and boom. Started right up. I think there is a loose ground somewhere so I went over all the grounds, cleaned them up , and tightened everything. Also cleaner my terminals good too even though they looked ok. Guys, thanks a million for all the help and responses. Great forum

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online

No members online now.