Yo man, my car got so much torques da torque converter cant hold shuts!

ram360

Reaction score
does the t/c lock/then unlock a few times? Kinda sounds like a chatter...

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
MustangChris said:
whats it normally supposed to do?

on the dyno its setup to stay locked the whole run....

its supposed to stay unlocked untill like 5k- 5500 or so and lock up untill it shifts at 6k normally

this is with 2nd and 3rd gear, it doesnt lock in first

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
so, for example on the street its supposed to stay unlocked untill like 5k lock up (doing what exactly?)

on the dyno its locked from 0-6000+RPM?

and what about in 1st and 4th?

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
MustangChris said:
so, for example on the street its supposed to stay unlocked untill like 5k lock up (doing what exactly?)

lol... no no

When WOT, racing it will be unlocked through first, lockup at about 5k in second, unlock on shift to third, lockup again at 5k.

it has a lockup schedule and will lockup once it hits third gear under normal driving...

its locked up when cruising.

When its unlocked, its slipping, it causes a loss in power but with a high stall like mine it will keep my RPM's up at like 4500-5k from any speed....

so if you hold 2nd at 20 mph, 2k-6k pull vs my 2nd gear 20 mph pull, I will make a hell of a lot more average power cause my RPMS will be up around 5k with the extension on my torque converter.

Get the picture?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
MustangChris said:

lol... no no

When WOT, racing it will be unlocked through first, lockup at about 5k in second, unlock on shift to third, lockup again at 5k.

it has a lockup schedule and will lockup once it hits third gear under normal driving...

When its unlocked, its slipping, it causes a loss in power but with a high stall like mine it will keep my RPM's up at like 4500-5k from any speed....

so if you hold 2nd at 20 mph, 2k-6k pull vs my 2nd gear 20 mph pull, I will make a hell of a lot more average power cause my RPMS will be up around 5k with the extension on my torque converter.

Get the picture?

no...

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
MustangChris said:
justinschmidt1 said:
MustangChris said:

lol... no no

Get the picture?

no...

lol..I dont really know how else to describe it.

Basically it allows my car to keep the rpms up and stay in the powerband at all times.

Locking it is like the clutch being engaged fully.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
oh. okay.

so. in first gear at idle its ... not locked. right?
then it locks when you give it gas untill 5,000 RPMs then unlocks, right?
then shifts to second and locks again until 5000 RPMs to shift to third.
then shifts to third and locks again until 5000 RPMs to shift to fourth.
then it stays locked at all times in forth because its overdrive??

but on the dyno (or WOT on the street) its programed to stay locked until redline (roughly 6000 RPMs)

is that right?

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
MustangChris said:
oh. okay.

so. in first gear at idle its ... not locked. right?
then it locks when you give it gas untill 5,000 RPMs then unlocks, right?
then shifts to second and locks again until 5000 RPMs to shift to third.
then shifts to third and locks again until 5000 RPMs to shift to fourth.
then it stays locked at all times in forth because its overdrive??

but on the dyno (or WOT on the street) its programed to stay locked until redline (roughly 6000 RPMs)

is that right?

Youve got it backwards...

its unlocked at idle...its like slipping the clutch.

Under normal driving it will stay unlocked through first/second/ then unlock a bit into third and into 4th and stay locked on the highway cruising.

When you give it some gas it will unlock which will send the RPMs way up into the powerband.

Going from a dead stop and full throttle the car will stay unlocked through out first, most of second untill about 5k and unlock on the shift to third, then lock back up when it hits 5k again in third gear.

4th gear can be unlocked but it usually always locked once your in 4th gear

cant race in OD, its bad

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
wow. now im UBER confused... so its only locked like, 15% of the time?

when is it locked? lol. then the rest of the time i know it will be unlocked. lol

so its unlocked through 1st and 2nd, then unlocks MORE to enter third? and STAY unlocked through third and once its in fourth it locks?

is it only locked in part of thrid and most of fourth?

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Uhm. Unlocking, locking, blah blah.

Get a manual and do it the right way. With your foot and hand.

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Theres a lockup schedule...it locks/unlocks depending on throttle/ speed.

full throttle it will only lock at the top of 2nd/3rd gear/ 4th if I went into it but I dont go WOT into 4th.

Under normal cruising at speeds over like 30 it will be locked.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
In an automatic transmission, there are a series of well-trained pixie fairies with Herculean strength. When you're trying to drive fast, all off those pixie fairies grab arms and hold on really tight and don't slip, with the ones on the ends holding onto the input shaft and the output shaft - this makes the engine turn the driveshaft. That's lockup.

However, if the builder didn't put in all the pixie fairies right, or one of them gets addicted to meth and decides not to play along - it can wreack havoc in the land of the pixie fairies. The chain breaks down, and sometimes the pixie fairies aren't holding on tight enough. Energy gets wasted and lost. The driveshaft doesn't get turned as much as it should be.

...some of Justin's pixie fairies are addicted to meth.

Does it make sense now?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yea... the locking and unlocking is variable based ona "schedule" and his TQ Converter isnt holding strong while locked while on the dyno...

i think.

now, what are the "pixies" supposed to be?

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
1996mustangGT said:
Paul I'm printing that and taking it to my ME tech professor lol.

My best friend in the world is a Mechanical Engineer. He would surely be impressed by my genius explanation. LOL

He's about a million billion times smarter than me. :grin:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alocalguy1337

Members online