Your golden book for your car

Reaction score
Do you all keep a booklet in your car with all your tech info recorded ,your fuse panel diagram and so on ? I have always written out things I need or will need to know down the road. My Mustang booklet has all the diagrams for the fuse panels and under hood fuse panel so I know what fuse is where. I have instructions on winding rear caliper pistons in, info on my alternator and instructions for setting RPM speeds at idle or base idle speed. These are most often requiring attention. I had a book for my Camaro and I used to display it at car shows with my car. I had a guy borrow my book, "The 350 Book" so he could photo copy all my stuff, he was quite thrilled to be able to do that and I got my book back safe and sound. Just curious if you record things that way. I know some use pictures to record the work done on their cars

gopanoz

Reaction score
I only write down mods that I make so I wont forgot and buy something twice. Its also handy when it needs actually work done so the tech will have a better idea of whats been changed.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
That's a good point about Techs working on your car. My mechanic friend was trying to adjust my lifters but his formula for that doesn't work on a race cam. I think it was to tighten lifter until it was quiet and then backing it off a half turn, but on my 350 it would start clicking when backed off, race cam has no back lash, so good point for techs working on your car.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Y’all let other people work on your cars?!?!

Once I start putting mine back together I’ll keep notes and records but mainly for my own memory for repairs or changes in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
with all the changes I have made to my car now I have been hand writing my own schematics so I can look back later. I would like to digitize them but would be sorry for anyone that needed to figure out what I did later on.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
with all the changes I have made to my car now I have been hand writing my own schematics so I can look back later. I would like to digitize them but would be sorry for anyone that needed to figure out what I did later on.

Speaking of, didn’t you eliminate your ccm?? If so I may need to borrow some copies so I can wire up relays for fan and ac. Don’t think I’ll need anything else but those are kinda important. Lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Speaking of, didn’t you eliminate your ccm?? If so I may need to borrow some copies so I can wire up relays for fan and ac. Don’t think I’ll need anything else but those are kinda important. Lol

it is not in use.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
I just record everything I do to the car, especially the oil changes and other maintenance stuff so I know when to do it again. all mods are recorded as well.

NEURON

Reaction score
I have a book with the dates and what I have done right next to the Factory Shop Manuals I always buy first thing.

4 cruzen

Reaction score
I have a book with an original brochure, the sales contract, the window sticker, all receipts and a summary page for each year with mileage and significant events.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I have a lovely collapsible literature display that contains all the mods done on my car. I used to show it a TON, so it lived in my trunk. It’s been retired from the car show scene for many years on account of me having a kid and the paint flaking off, but the display still remains in my trunk.

But as far as a “golden book,” I also keep a 6 inch thick folder in my trunk that contains absolutely everything. There’s an inspection section, registration section, tire section, history, v8 swap, receipts from the 90s, 00s, and 10s. I even have a speeding ticket the previous owner got in 95.

Keeping all these documents has come in handy. Typically in regards to parts that have a lifetime warranty. Store and manufacturers don’t expect someone will actually keep a receipt that old, which is many times, a requirement. I can’t tell you how many window motors I’ve gone through!

I remember in 2009 needing a tune. The company wouldn’t give me a copy, even though I brought a flash drive. They claimed they keep everything stored in the event that anyone needed a retune. I showed up 9 years later with a print out of the dyno they ran (straight out of my folder), and reminded them of the file they saved. Well, after a relocation, computer and software upgrades, they naturally couldn’t find the archived file and had to retuned the car from scratch.

I’ve also got a mileage spreadsheet on the cloud where I calculate fuel economy, price of gas, etc, and printed out several pages in there. Being able to see why and where fuel economy plummets is pretty useful.

But mostly whenever you are troubleshooting it helps to have that folder. When you’ve had your AC working occasionally, and you can go back and see what all was replaced several years back, you can determine from there where to go. A real shop would fix and recharge, only to send you off with a working AC, that only lasts a year. You return next summer, then what? They might not be able to look up what they did, and charge you the exact same service as before.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I keep meaning to put together something like this, then I, ya know, don't.

@TTSaleen keeps really nice stuff for that.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I tried to photo-document everything but going through several phones ruined that for me since I didn't upload to a cloud.

I wish I kept a book earlier on but saving receipts has saved me several grand in warranty parts. I'll probably keep a detailed log for the next vehicle I get that's worth more than a months pay lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online