My 70 dollar Heat Extractor Hood

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I'm still trying to reduce underhood temps, so I decided it was time for heat extractor hood. Problem is that those usually are very expensive, and fitment will suck. Answer was simple. Go to a junkyard, find a factory hood, buy a 2010 GT500 hood vent, and presto. Heat extractor hood for about 70 dollars. No testing has been performed yet, but I'm taking the car to another track weekend at the end of August. I'll have the results then. Anyway, pictures and captions

Stock factory 20 dollar hood with the hole in it. Had to be extra careful when cutting the hole, so it would be even.
mifnz6.jpg

29g1ukh.jpg

2010 GT500 hood vent. Costs around 50 dollars at a local dealership.
10duumr.jpg

Vent installed in the hood.
2we00f5.jpg

15d2wqd.jpg

Test fit
24m9nxs.jpg

3009xe0.jpg

10pzot4.jpg

6tlhrq.jpg

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I know what I'm doing when I have extra money. I've got a hood sitting at the barn, little tiny cracks in the front but works fine. Sand it down, throw that in it, paint it black, mmmmm.

That seriously looks really sick. I hope it works.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
paint it to match and maybe it will tone it down a little. sticks out too much cosmetically and I am curious if it will work as well.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
The vent is not gonna get painted when I paint the hood. I think that it would look too low rent if I do that. I'll find out how functional it is in about a month.

ProKiller

Reaction score
i really like the idea but it could be sunk down a bit more to lay flush with the hood. i realize it defeats the purpose if your putting all kinds of body filler and sanding into it, but that would be the way to go. definitely interested to see if it keeps down the temps at the track

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How exactly is it attached? I'm seriously considering doing this but I'm afraid I'll screw it up

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
GT500 vent has a lip in the front that drops in a little. Since factory hood has two layers, you can use the outer shell attach it
11lsew8.jpg

The back has locking clips, which don't really do much, and a threaded stud. I've made extra space for the clips, so I could use them still, and just a GIANT washer with a 4mm wing nut does the trick
2nq4pwl.jpg

Another thing you will have to address is that once you cut a giant hole in the middle of the hood, you lose some structural rigidity. And by some, I mean most. You can use expanding foam to restore it. What I did was masked off the areas where I was going to inject the foam, sprayed a bunch and left it overnight. In the morning, it was just as rigid as it was before I put a hole in it. Make sure that it's the high temp stuff, like fireblock.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds not too bad. Even if I f the hood up, I really have no use for it and no one would want to buy it. I could always turn around and resell the GT500 vent. I'm def going to consider doing this.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
That looks great!

If it works on the track(I'm betting it will) then you've really lucked out...

We need to have Handz come over and detail your car too :)

auto_x5.0

Reaction score
That looks sick, I would get rid of the side vents(the stock ones) make that part smooth. It would look badass on a black or red car

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
lol, so I could ruin all of his effort at the track?

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Great idea man. Kinda makes me tempted to want to get a extra stock hood and try it out. Your going to have a lot of followers.

ARdoller

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
With how big the vent is compared to the overall size of the hood, I'd be curious to see how it would have looked if it was mounted up higher, like right between the stock vents. But it does look good none the less.

Or another crazy idea, would be to eliminate the big vent in the middle, and just use the two end ones. That would look interesting.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Alexr said:
With how big the vent is compared to the overall size of the hood, I'd be curious to see how it would have looked if it was mounted up higher, like right between the stock vents. But it does look good none the less.

Or another crazy idea, would be to eliminate the big vent in the middle, and just use the two end ones. That would look interesting.

The thing is I have located the vent in the best place for heat extraction. If I'd go any closer to the front, it would not be scooping any air out from the radiator. Any further than I have it, and the air would be getting all choppy, and you'd be getting close to the cowl, which would means that you're in the high pressure zone, so that scoop would actually suck the air in, rather than push it from under the hood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T's Convertible

Members online