‘97 Cobra Restomod

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Finally removed one of the sideskirts. car looks so clean. can't wait to close that fender gap and get to all the body work. Lots of other stuff to take care of first, though.
scoop1.jpg

I wanted to get the fenders back on so I can get all the wire tuckage lined out before I do anything major to the bay. scoop2.jpg
This is the remainder of an antenna hole delete. Notice the crystal white. They didn't even bother to spray this side of the fender. So much fail on the execution of mods on this poor car.

baddelete.jpg

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
gutted! Mach460 system is getting ripped out next and I'll finish removing the body harness. I've GOT to get all the innards of this thing organized and what-not. I'm thinking fun with Dry Ice is next.

INSIDE1.jpg INSIDE2.jpg

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Looking good so far! I've always wanted to strip a car down to the shell and build it back from scratch, however I know myself well enough that I don't want my vehicle down for several years if I lose interest, money, or time.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing the build progress!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I could only imagine stripping a car down in my house. Kids be packin things away.

Excellent work. Im cheering for your success

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Looking good so far! I've always wanted to strip a car down to the shell and build it back from scratch, however I know myself well enough that I don't want my vehicle down for several years if I lose interest, money, or time.

Its definitely a massive undertaking and I've been getting ducks in a row for the last few years to be where we can actually execute the build well. Yesterday I put the snake on roller skates and tried to start organizing all of the parts. I've commandeered part of the patio to store parts yet to be sold and those gray boxes. this is to hopefully not only get some order in the shop but so that my wife's brand new explorer can actually fit without hurting it, the walls, or the cobra.

skates1.jpg
skates2.jpg

Like a glove! :)

skates3.jpg

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Dry ice didn't work so well for me so I just went to town with an air chisel.
The dry ice made the sound deadening brittle but it kept just coming up in tiny pieces.
Doing it this way I got half the car done in like 40 minutes.

sdr1.jpg sdr2.jpg
Also, BBK LT's and xpipe are for sale.
bbklts.jpg

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Nice work. I like how you have everything organized. I'm interested in the headers if you are willing to ship. Zip is 87106.
Thanks!

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Shipping is like 100 bucks and I'm trying to get like 600 for the headers and x pipe so at that point you wouldn't be saving hardly anything. If i can't sell em local i'll let you know and maybe I'll have to just take less for them.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
No problem. i'm really only interested in the headers so if you can sell them locally go for it. What's next for the car?

Patientzero

Reaction score
I know Terry at Vorshlag says a heat gun and scraper works best for removing the sound deadening, and then mineral spirits to remove the remaining adhesive. How much weight do you think was in the sound deadening?

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Not a huge amount of weight savings to be honest, im mainly just getting rid of every ounce of anything I do not want in the car. |

I'd like it to look rad without carpet in it even though I'm going to add carpet.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good. Now it's time to do this..
IMG_0646-D.jpg

IMG_0677-D.jpg

IMG_0740-D.jpg

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Hey guys, so its been a while. I've been posting over on the SVT forums but I thought I'd update y'all with the happenings. the IRS is rebuilt, just have to shim the diff carrier and swap the clutch packs and it'll be fully baked.
All the bushings have been done. All control arms are Delrin equipped, including the fronts.
Oh and the front k member is a maximum motorsport unit with their fancy geometry corrected tubular control arms.

The arduous task of fixing the belly of the beast and installing through the floor subframe connectors is officially done.
She is painted and next up is the engine bay which should go rather quickly. Then we'll get the fuel lines sorted and put the IRS back in the car.

Once that is done and its back on all fours engine reassembly can begin. Hoping to hit this stage in a couple months.

1 (3).jpg 3 (2).jpg 4.jpg AG_2.jpg irsbrakelines.jpg

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I'v been following on SVT. You are doing some great work. It's going to be a fun car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online