03 Mountaineer Repair Estimate?

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm just trying to get a good idea of what I'm in for.

My wife has an 03 4.6L Mountaineer.
At about 200k now, the timing chain guides are shot. It was a little noisy before, and in the last week it's getting louder.

I did the job on my Mustang, but I just simply don't have the time to do it myself this time.

The guides are toast, and im not going to be shocked if it needs tensioners or chains as well.

What kind of quotes are reasonable?
Do it in the car, or would a shop just pull the engine to do it?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Reaction score
You're going to have to do the leg work and get a few quotes. A normal price for me might be extremely high for you because of the area. And shop labor rates vary quite a bit.

Last edited:

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I think I would just do it myself as I get time
Labor rates around hear in my area is starting 85 an hour to 100
Just depends on quality workmanship do you want a junk yard or a dealership working on it

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
You know the exploders, mountaineers came with them junk plastic chain tentioners that are prone for busting? You may officially have a bigger issue now.

OP
OP
S

Silver95bird

Reaction score
we're considering our options right now. we only paid $2500 for this suv 2 years ago. its high mileage but rust free.

talked to one shop we trust, who suggested we might be able to get a replacement engine for not much more than ripping this one apart. we're waiting to see what numbers he can get us.

The thought of having a 0 mile engine with a warranty vs dumping cash into this one and hoping nothing else is bad is a good sell for the mrs.

That would also mean that for the cost of the core, i could have an aluminum block 4.6... possibilities are open right now.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Yeah that's what i usually tell people when they blow a HG .... Cheaper to get a reman in the long run

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownArmy

Members online