1994 Cobra Time!

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well folks, finally did it.

Finally ended up in a 5.0L Cobra, which has been my end game for awhile now.

Some of yall might remember the teal 94 GT I got earlier this year, I threw a bunch of miles on it and never had any issues but it was needing a full suspension overhaul and I just never really connected with the car so I've been tossing the idea of getting rid of it.

I was scrolling Facebook Marketplace and came across this 94 Cobra. 138k miles, lowered, wheels, supposedly DSS shortblock, AFR heads, big injectors... owner thought that it needed a clutch, looking to trade, needed something to drive ASAP. So I offered up the 94 GT, talked off and on for a couple days and finally got him to let me come check the car out. The Cobra seemed to be in ok shape, few things little hinky looking under the hood, but body was straight, interior was in pretty good shape. I figured it'd be worth the gamble to swap out and hop in a Cobra for the GT. We made the deal, I loaded the Cobra up, and drug it to work to slap a old clutch I had laying around and see if the thing would drive down the road. The clutch that was in it was TOAST, absolutely no fiber left on it at all, flywheel trashed, pressure plate trashed... No biggie, had some leftover parts laying around and threw it all together.
48355004_10213850974688521_7572938691958538240_o.jpg

Car drove! So for no money out of pocket and a couple hours of work, I swapped a GT for a Cobra. Now this car is a turd. It's running 42# injectors, with no evidence of being tuned that I can find, on what disappointingly turns out to be E7 heads. The block looks relatively fresh compared to everything else (freeze plugs are shiny, shiny paint) but not sure if it's just been freshened up or what it might be hiding. Car runs pretty ok all things considered. It does not like being above 4500RPM and occasionally won't start unless you mat the gas pedal, part of me thinks too much fuel, part of me thinks weak fuel pump, but overall, not much of me is worried about it. Suspension setup is cut Eibachs, rides better than the cut stockers on the GT but it rubs terribly. There are a few broken tabs on the interior pieces and every gauge and mod points to this car having a blower on it at one time.
48058976_10213852562608218_6162183110797557760_n.jpg

Game plan is to snatch the motor out and inspect it. I've got a GT40P-headed motor sitting on the stand that I bought a few years ago that can slide right back in this car if need be and I plan on ordering some long tube headers, a new H-Pipe, new fuel pump and a Microsquirt setup for this car as soon as I get some extra cash. I've got the front coilovers I bought for the GT and MM C/C plates to go in the car when I get some time. I'll probably try to find some good used rear springs and adjustable control arms to get the ride height where I want it with the front coilovers. New tires, clean up the interior, and hope some elbow grease brings back the paint's shine and I'll be good!

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Merry Christmas to you! That's a good trade. I like the wheels.

1994stangfan

Reaction score
Did you check the vin to see if it is a cobra or a clone? E7 heads are suspicious, also the pony in the grill

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
rockin the original crab claw wing!

Heck yes! It's not going anywhere!

Did you check the vin to see if it is a cobra or a clone? E7 heads are suspicious, also the pony in the grill

VIN is correct as is every other Cobra detail, right decklid, right spoiler, right bumpers, right hood, right airbags, etc etc. Mustang in the grill is correct, there was never a factory Cobra emblem in the grill. The car has every sign of being boosted at one time, my guess is it was being parted out and someone slapped it together to have it running.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
That's a sweet deal, can't beat trading up for what you wanted without shelling out cash. By the way, the wheels look great on that car.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
DSS typically stamps their blocks on the back, directly behind where the intake manifold bolts down on the top.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
That's awesome. Original 5.0 Cobras are getting kinda rare, but then again clean SN95s are becoming unicorns now, so...

Regarding E7s, someone probably had better heads on there at some point, then parted the car out, and slapped whatever he had laying around just to get the car sold. Not a big deal honestly, sounds like the motor needs to gone through anyway. Nothing like the mystery box of parts to get the project going.

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
This project came to a pretty quick halt when I ran into some issues with the title BUT I officially got that all squared away and time to start tinkering again. Hoping to snatch the motor out in the next couple of weeks,

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from picking up a minty set of H&R Supersports, looks like I'm going to be doing some suspension work this weekend along with the brake work.

I'll get some more pictures of it this weekend as I start tearing into it more.

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Phew boy, I thought I’d be done with suspension work by now but other things have been keeping me off of it.

I got the rear brakes and springs swapped out last weekend and managed to get the crusty engrained metal and rust from the trashed pads off of the driver side rear wheel. It’s got some rough spots in the clear from getting a little too aggressive but it looks way better than the orange staining. I started cleaning off the GT40P headed motor I’ve had on a stand for a few years to start pulling it apart and relubing it and getting it ready to go in the Cobra. I wish I could find some better heads, at least some iron GT40’s to be at least stock, but it’s just nowhere near being in the budget right now. So fresh gaskets and a swap and going to call it good enough.

I planned to do some work on the front suspension this weekend but ended up getting my moms 74 Corvette fired up and put some miles on it as it’s been sitting since I handed it back to her after swapping to a FiTech system back in the summer. I also messed around and fired the old farm Samurai back up and got their tractor’s batteries charged so I can hopefully drag the driveway next weekend and take care of a few things around their while my dad’s sick.

But either way, here’s a few pics of this poor neglected Cobra.

Before tear down
62a87f9d2766f77d2d2fc72151609b8d.jpg

Front drive side. You can see how much the fronts rubbed and ate up the fender liner. It’s almost got into the wiring harness, I’ll probably pull the liner down and reroute those wires as I do plan on this car being low- but not this low.
54f122993938ea95e44adcb719608b86.jpg

Found my squeal on the passenger side.
b7c9257b16004fb8e024b1a167c2a7e3.jpg

Also found where my exhaust has been rattling. A combination of right there on the tank and again where the hoop over the axle is hitting on the unibody. There’s a solid chance I’ll be putting turn downs on this car as I’ve never liked the looks of pipes out the back on SN95s but who knows? I need a new mid-pipe and will decide when it goes on.
06851c17915c683e595021ea8aa28ec0.jpg

Here’s the difference between the replacement H&R Supersport and the cut Eibach for the rear. Lordy.
e987633f19c088c828278ecdb74d13fc.jpg

Rear reassembled with a quick coat of paint.
d1f7b15fa653d368a05472c661acca79.jpg

Current state of the poor snake.
29d7fc9f96603d01606876b6c9b59190.jpg

305ed103b376cea21fefc415687f9684.jpg

2be37d8b6ad86e663c07f6294dd80e1a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
b1a23844491c6306a420efbee26eb93e.jpg

Well slapped my front wheels on yesterday and brought the Cobra home from my parents. I haven’t decided on who to use for an alignment so I haven’t put my coilovers on, but I wanted to get my car home since their shop is crowded now that my dad’s got his 36 back.

Took the car out this morning and stopped by my moms business to talk to her and the car wouldn’t start back up. I’m pretty confident the fuel pump is toast. The car did start up good enough to load and unload itself after I went and got the trailer but it’s parked in my parents shop, waiting on some TLC. Walbro 255 will be here Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Man I bet you think I’ve done work on this car but NOPE sure haven’t.

Anyways here’s a few parts I’ve acquired the last couple of weeks. Hoping to have motor swapped and all the goodies thrown on in time for the Hot Rod Power Tour this year.

Microsquirt, new clutch and flywheel, motor with GT40P heads and Bcam, front coilovers, then actually driving the car.

03AF6A9B-F79D-4BFE-A52F-6185E2E4EB98.jpeg

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well here we are 4 years into ownership and still haven’t really done anything to it.

Since my last post back in February, I ended up buying the Mystic and taking it on the Power Tour which means the motor swap got put back to the end of the list.

Pretty soon after that, I signed some papers and was underway on getting a shop built out here. After a couple rounds of bad contractors and work kicking my ass, the building and concrete are finally done and I’m only waiting on the roll-up door to be installed to really start moving my tools and parts in and really get to work on stuff.

I also picked up a new goody for the Cobra this past weekend- a complete Vortech setup. Not entirely sure which trim, going to try and call and have the serial number ran on it but it the car was actually running correctly, I could slap that on and be boosted in a couple days.

Current game plan is get the shop situated and take care of some maintenance on the neglected vehicles and start cleaning up the and painting the motor for this car. Going to get it swapped in and Microsquirt working before adding boost to the equation. The Vortech came with a FMU, an auxiliary fuel pump, and 42#’s and a calibrated MAF. Obviously the MAF is a paperweight with the Microsquirt being speed density, and I’m considering getting rid of the add-on stuff and going with a simpler bigger fuel pump in the tank and a better adjustable fuel regulator on the rail. I’m sure those parts are great for a mostly stock car and trying to get around difficult tuning on the factory ECU but that shouldn’t be a problem with this car.

Anyways, a few photos from this weekend from moving the cars under cover in the shop and picking up the Vortech because no one cares unless there’s pictures for documentation. 93980349-FC8D-42E0-9CF8-983B3804F03B.jpeg

A102FC29-5E97-4E2B-A748-996DEA1E06A5.jpeg

D56BBBCB-ED86-4E5F-B72A-BD705E11D111.jpeg

EF596513-8372-4262-91DE-5573C6773CC6.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Staff online

Members online