1998 2V Fuel Rails

9psi 98

Reaction score
:help2: I'm having some fuel pressure problems and wanted to change over to an adjustable regulator. The problem is that my fuel rails aren't like any other 98 rails I've seen cause MY REGULATOR IS WELDED TO MY FUEL RAIL ON THE PASSENGER SIDE...... Has anyone seen or have anything like this? I do have a Ford Racing SC and these rails/regulator may have been part of the installation package, but the pic of the SC on the FRPP wesite has a regulator like all of the other 98's on the drivers side....mine does not for some reason. :mad: No ports, nothing but the single small regulator on the rear passenger side near the firewall. The previous owner built it so I'm slowly finding out dissapointing things over and over. So much for buying a $120 regulator, I'm probably going to have to spend $650+ just to have an adjustable system and I still haven't bought my $380 injectors yet.......I'm not happy.... :rant:

Thomas_W

Reaction score
all you should need to do is put 96-97 fuel rails on the car. then you'll have your adjustable fuel pressure.. and it just so happens i have a Kirban regulator w/ little less than a year old and useage on it for sale. $60 shipped.. and you can get the rails off ebay for $20 or 30

OP
OP

9psi 98

Reaction score
I won't need the regulator, I bought one the other day and took it back once I found out that I couldn't use it. My local speed shop doesn't give refunds, just store credit so, I basically still have one its just sitting in their stock room. I swear that I read somewhere that the 98's had a different fuel system, but I'm going to have to research it. I could go aftermarket and pay $680 or go with 98 OEM rails and my regulator for around $400...

Thomas_W

Reaction score
9psi 98 said:
I won't need the regulator, I bought one the other day and took it back once I found out that I couldn't use it. My local speed shop doesn't give refunds, just store credit so, I basically still have one its just sitting in their stock room. I swear that I read somewhere that the 98's had a different fuel system, but I'm going to have to research it. I could go aftermarket and pay $680 or go with 98 OEM rails and my regulator for around $400...

or 96-97 fuel rails and a kirban regulator for $100

98's had a bastard style fuel system.. it was a return setup that used a variable speed fuel pump (atleast the later model ones did). So if you put 96-97 fuel rails on w/ an adjustable regulator the car still runs the same, you just have a way of adjusting fuel pressure now...

OP
OP

9psi 98

Reaction score
Every other 98 4.6l I've seen online or in a parts depart at a ford dealership has a bolt-on FPR on the drivers side fuel rail towards the firewall. I don't know why mine doesn't have it, but I'm pricing OEM one's now. I'm pretty sure that mine has the variable pump, probably why the 255lph Walbro pump prematurely stopped working. I read somewhere that Walbro's aren't a fan of running anything but wide open. Is there any way to get rid of that crap? I can hear the tone of the pump changing so I know that it's speeding up/slowing down as it warms up in the morning....kind of weird.

GDawg

Reaction score
My car has the fuel regulator on the passenger side welded on. Stock...

When I bought my KB SC I got a new fuel rail with the regulator not welded on and on the driver's side. I still have my stock rail sitting in a spare room waiting for someone to ask for a replacement. I'm pretty certain '98s are different in that way from any other year. I actually argued with Kenne Bell about the gaskets for the attachable fuel regulator that they sent me.

You are not alone... but I am faster... :bunny3:

:rollinglaugh:

j/k

OP
OP

9psi 98

Reaction score
That's weird that there are two different styles of rails on 98's. The guy at the ford dealership hadn't seen it before either. I found a set of rails from a 98 stang that has the removable regulator on the drivers side and the fuel fittings where mine are currently. It's the cheapest way out of my situation. Another question though. The fuel line coming from the tank going to the rail has an inline "dampener" that supposedly smoothes out the surge created by the injectors opening and closing. Has anyone removed this, and would it cause any problems do you think? It seems like a huge restriction in my fuel system.

I get this damn thing running right and I'll bet you're not...... I'm trying to run a marathon on broken legs at the moment!! :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

Thomas_W

Reaction score
9psi 98 said:
Every other 98 4.6l I've seen online or in a parts depart at a ford dealership has a bolt-on FPR on the drivers side fuel rail towards the firewall. I don't know why mine doesn't have it, but I'm pricing OEM one's now. I'm pretty sure that mine has the variable pump, probably why the 255lph Walbro pump prematurely stopped working. I read somewhere that Walbro's aren't a fan of running anything but wide open. Is there any way to get rid of that crap? I can hear the tone of the pump changing so I know that it's speeding up/slowing down as it warms up in the morning....kind of weird.

The early 98's had the same fuel system as the 96-97's w/ the FPR on the driver side and a constant speed pump. The later 98's had the variable voltage pump and no bolt on regulator. If you get a set of early 98 rails OR 96-97 fuel rails w/ the bolt on regulator you can put those on your car and get an adj. regulator..

And to get rid of the variable speed fuel pump, you can rewire it with a "constant" hot wire going to a relay and use the factory wiring to activate the relay for the fuel pump. Waaalaaa no more variable voltage fuel pump..

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you have the later 98 i believe you can also use the Focus SVT or Aviator Pump...you just use the pump in your assembly. Thats much cheaper then the Vortech 98 Pump...I was just reading about this on ModularDepot the other day. I didn't even know you could use the Focus pump etc on the 98 until yesterday :) so i'd look into that as a replacement.

sanitarium16

Reaction score
my 98gt was manufactured in november of 1997. It has the fuel pressure regulator on the passanger side. Its a bolt in type. I had the SAME Issue. I bought a Kirban FPR and then a BBK and nothing fit. I dont know....i guess ill try 96-97 fuel rails....

Stang96

Reaction score
i couldnt find a FRPP supercharger for my 96 gt mustang where did you find it??

OP
OP

9psi 98

Reaction score
Stang96 said:

Mine is a 98, I'm sure that you can find the SC kits on the FRPP website for your car.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
9psi 98 said:
Stang96 said:

Mine is a 98, I'm sure that you can find the SC kits on the FRPP website for your car.

Its on there...same unit for 96-98
you can also :google2: and find retailers like DownsFord etc etc

OP
OP

9psi 98

Reaction score
UPDATE.... My car is now sporting fuel rails from a 96GT and the same Aeromotive FPR that I previously had bought. My fuel pressure is controllable now, but it still didn't help my tuning problem. A few more hours of overtime and I'll be able to buy some injectors, another cold air intake, and then finally get this thing tuned. I'll have to put a hold on the cams for now....dammit :nonono:

Thomas_W

Reaction score
9psi 98 said:
UPDATE.... My car is now sporting fuel rails from a 96GT and the same Aeromotive FPR that I previously had bought. My fuel pressure is controllable now, but it still didn't help my tuning problem. A few more hours of overtime and I'll be able to buy some injectors, another cold air intake, and then finally get this thing tuned. I'll have to put a hold on the cams for now....dammit :nonono:

If your running 30# or larger injectors and the factory provided SVO blower tune, its the TUNE NOT the injectors. Yall do NOT realize how bad those tunes are. Mine before the tune was running 12.9:1 A/F ratio.. When everyone i've asked recommends a 11.4-11.7:1 A/F on blower and turbo cars.

OP
OP

9psi 98

Reaction score
I'm running 30# injectors. I was only getting 32psi of fuel pressure at idle and 41 at WOT. 38psi is stock, so I figured that I was low and I was running out of fuel due to the low pressure. 44.5psi apparently maxxes out my injectors so that's what I was going for with the adjustable regulator, it just required changing my fuel rails as well. I'll get it tuned eventually....sooner than not

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online