2000 GT Convertible cleanup

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I have a pad, but I did it by hand

I might go over everything I did so far again with the wax pad on the DA. Might as well let the machine do the work.

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
I don't know how deep you want to get into the paint correction. You may want to check into ceramic coatings if you haven't already. It's a little more work, but definitely worth it. It helps a bunch with the little swirls and scratches. Some actually fill them. I do all mine when I start to see the coating diminish or swirls appear. Your car looks 100 times nicer now.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Not the first person to say that in the last day or so.

I've debated it. I figure now is the time so i spent a little time googling last night. I'm trying to find a stopping point with regards to spending $$$ on this car as I still want my total project cost to be under what I could realistically sell the car for. I think I'm at $1K for the car and roughly $3500 on what i've spent so far. At least now it's starting to look like a 70K mile car.

But still..i'm here and the car is clean. Now or never....

Last edited:

badass98svt

Reaction score
Not the first person to say that in the last day or so.

I've debated it. I figure now is the time so i spent a little time googling last night. I'm trying to find a stopping point with regards to spending $$$ on this car as I still want my total project cost to be under what I could realistically sell the car for. I think I'm at $1K for the car and roughly $3500 on what i've spent so far. At least now it's starting to look like a 70K mile car.

But still..i'm here and the car is clean. Now or never....

I'd ceramic coat it if I were you too Mike. Now is the time.
Have you done enough research yet where you are leaning towards 1 or 2 specific products?

I've ceramic coated a few sets of wheels, but that's as far as I've gone. They clean up super easy. "Slick as owl shit" is the term my father would have probably used. :D

I used the G tecniq on my wheels, and I have been happy with the results for sure. My car doesn't sit in any weather though and never goes in the rain anymore either, so I can't speak for longevity in all season conditions.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Have you done enough research yet where you are leaning towards 1 or 2 specific products?

None yet. Probably going to look specfically for coating for black cars. I'll probably lean towards the cheaper end of the spectrum due to the fact that this is less of a show car, and more going to be my summer daily driver that will sit outside. If i have to reapply next winter in the garage, not a problem.

badass98svt

Reaction score
None yet. Probably going to look specfically for coating for black cars. I'll probably lean towards the cheaper end of the spectrum due to the fact that this is less of a show car, and more going to be my summer daily driver that will sit outside. If i have to reapply next winter in the garage, not a problem.
Adams sells a "booster" that you can just spray on too, between coats. And it smells delicious haha. Works just like a spray detailer.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
got nowhere in selecting a product. Trying to find a decent “kit” without dropping 100’s here. Might be a decent investment though as my Fox could use the treatment as well and the paint on that is 10x better.

Downside is I already waxed those three panels. Now sure how I can strip that off and apply the ceramic coating now.

What are some good products on the market? I’m having trouble weeding through quality; and cheap copy-cat stuff.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I think I'd shoot a PM to NastyGT500 on the other site. He should be able to steer you in the right direction for a good, budget line.

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
If you want to stay on the inexpensive side there's always Chemical Guys products. They're not to bad and available at most Wal-Marts. So no need to order online. Not my first choice, but they work.

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Poor boys sells some nice products. My go to is ssr2.5 with a light cutting pad on a porta cable da. Been using this stuff for over 15 years. Poor boys products with lake county pads and ya can't go wring with some minor to medium paint correction. Just takes time.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
More progress. Front bumper, hood and a-pillar done
IMG_8236.jpeg

A-pillar looking good
IMG_8235.jpeg

Couldn’t reach all the way so taped off halfway. But the difference is striking. Some deep scratches but I’m no
Longer complaining as this is worlds better than when I started.

IMG_8237.jpeg

Working in the rear. Trunk came out awesome, but too bad it has all these lifting paint spots. They are blisters in the paint that are failing. I have some touch up paint so I’ll try to fill them.

IMG_8238.jpeg

Plugging along. Will get the entire car polished and then ceramic coat it.

Spring coming. Alignment and going to tint the windows lightly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Buffing done. Waiting for a good day to apply the ceramic.

In the meantime, ordered myself a Raxiom sequential taillight kit and flasher. Always wanted one of these way back in 2003 when I bought my GT. They were expensive back then for my broke college ass.

IMG_8321.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Applied ceramic to most of the car. I thought it was shiny when I started but wow this stuff really brings it out.

Ceramic applied on right. Naked hood on left. You can see that the paint does have flaws. This is going to be a 10 footer. A nice driver.

IMG_8364.jpeg

But pics don’t do it justice.

IMG_8366.jpeg

Gotta do a couple more panels, maybe the glass and lights and then maybe a second coat on the hood and upper panels and then let it cure for 7 days.

Almost cruising weather. Gonna be fun.

Still on the fence about the hood scoop. I’m 50/50 on if I add it.

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
Looks nice. Ceramic really helps it pop. And you can use it on the plastic parts too, if you didn't already know.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Done. Out in the sun. Did the paint, lights and glass. Didn’t do the wheels because I’m changing these out to bullitt wheels and want to give these a good polish before applying the ceramic.

IMG_8408.jpegIMG_8409.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online