2000 GT Convertible cleanup

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I like those wheels

I do too. But I kinda like them on my fox better.

My old 2003 GT I had 20 years ago had bullit wheels. Kinda want them on for sentimental reasons. It’s the reason I did a lot of the 01+ visual cues to this car. It’s a throwback to my youth and owning one of these brand new.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
So, the Eibach pro-kit and Bilsteins are a winner here IMHO. I had some concerns that the suspension might be a tad bit stiff but those fears were resolved. The car rides incredibly close to stock, but might be a tad rougher over broken roads. However in terms of ride quality it's actually quite great, plus is handles well. I do have brand new front control arms as well, so I imagine the fresh rubber bushings help here too. I had the opportunity to take a few off-ramps at speed and she stays flat and level. Of course, that's probably helped by the fact that with the top down, there's not much weight higher than the top of the hood. But overall I was please. Still needs an alignment. My calibrated eyeball alignment is pretty darn close.

Brakes...suck. I think my combo is mismatched. I'm running a set of 94-98 cobra calipers which are 38mm pistons. The 96-98 Cobras came with a 1" bore hydrboost MC. In 99-04 the cobra calipers were 40mm and the MC was 1 1/16" bore. I didn't think the 1/16" would make a difference on hydroboost, but apparently it does. They are just overly firm. I guess i'll see if i can find a pair of 99-04 calipers and swap them.

Convertible top system has a leak. Top went down, struggled to go up. Will need to add fluid. I guess at some point i should just redo the system and install new cylinders and motor. For now i'll top it off.

Radio. SOunds good with top down. Negative is I can't see the screen in full sun. It's just the glare is too strong. I gotta try turning the brightness up. There is a remote control for this radio, so i may purchase it and use that for skipping tracks and volume.

I think next on my agenda, rip the Dorman intake off and swap a PI intake back on, change the spark plugs, and replace the leaking valve cover gaskets.

Slice

Reaction score
I have one pristine seat skin, tan leather with white pony embroidery on rhe upper seat from a 2003 gt. Looks like you don't need it? I'd like to get a hundred bucks for it.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Because everyone likes a parts spread…

This weekends project:

Ditch Dorman intake, install PI intake
Spark plugs
Valve cover gaskets.

IMG_8549.jpeg

Picked up a used Pi intake strictly for the hardware. The Dorman intake discards all this so needed to source it elsewhere. Believe it or not buying an entire complete intake was cheaper. I’ll likely swap the crossover as well just to save time.

The used intake has a few tiny cracks in the coolant port. Not a failure yet but it wouldn’t have much life left if I swapped it on. I’ll squirrel that away as a last ditch backup.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I have one pristine seat skin, tan leather with white pony embroidery on rhe upper seat from a 2003 gt. Looks like you don't need it? I'd like to get a hundred bucks for it.

I don’t need it. Already recovered my seats

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Tore into it tonight. For some reason I didn’t feel like laying on my back to drain coolant. That’s the last step before I pull the crappy Dorman intake off. No surprises on the tear-down.

About an hour to get to this step taking my time and snapping some pics for reference along the way

IMG_8586.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Intake off. Need to clean this all up and then tape off the ports and we can then pull the valve covers off to replace the gaskets. Pass side is leaking a bit at the front top corner.

IMG_8591.jpeg

Dorman intake had a 2015 date on it. No idea of that’s when this thing was installed but it’s already failing.

IMG_8593.jpeg

Hard to see but both sides of that port are cracked and collapsing. Hmmm, actually this is the same corner I have my valve cover leak. I wonder if that’s really coolant….

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Valve covers off. Cleaning them up before reassembly time. Not too bad getting these off with the intake off.

Everything looks very clean under there. Timing chain nice and tight.

IMG_8606.jpegIMG_8610.jpeg

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Be absolutely 100% positive to use felpro or Ford 4.6l specific intake gaskets for use with the stock pi intake manifold.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Swap them exhaust lashers out for a set of fast bleed lashers. Gain a good 15hp

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Valve cover gaskets done. Had to stop for the night for some injector o-rings an pintle caps. Didn’t like the seal with the old o-rings felt too lose. Guess the Dorman intake it a little tighter in the injector bore so the o rings were compressed more.

IMG_8634.jpegIMG_8629.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online