2000 GT Salvage Build

OP
OP
KJ-00-GT

KJ-00-GT

Reaction score
We never made it to Iowa for the big Mustang event, my wife got sick on Thursday, admitted to the hospital on Friday and released on Sunday. She is fine now.

I'm still at it trying to get the body work done. I'm using body filler in the area's that I pulled the dents out and the contour gauges have been a huge help in getting the shape right especially the area behind the drivers door scoop. This place has multiple contours coming together here from the wheel arch and didn't realize that the bottom corner also flairs out slightly, mine was flat from the crash damage. I had already put on some body filler before I realized that. So had to get creative and do some redneck body work with a come-a-long winch. I'm getting really close to being finished with this stage and just need to finish working on the bumpers.

IMG_4052.JPG

IMG_4053.JPG

IMG_4054.JPG

Down to using spot putty now.
IMG_4090.JPG

weendoggy

Reaction score
Nothing like having a "tree anchor" nearby to assist. :eek: Good thing it has "roots". I admire the body work because I'm only a 80% body person, which means I can get close, but not to the extent I want. Gonna' be a nice ride when done.

OP
OP
KJ-00-GT

KJ-00-GT

Reaction score
Thanks guys! This has been a huge learning experience, I've only done some small spot bondo and spray can body work before this. I've accumulated some more sanding blocks and tools to do all this and this is all good practice for me to tackle the body and paint work on my 69' Camaro. Watching lots of YouTube videos has been super helpful along the way.

OP
OP
KJ-00-GT

KJ-00-GT

Reaction score
I have been busy this week. First up Thursday I got the parts that are off the car primered.

IMG_4104.JPG

Today I was able to do the rest of the car with 3 coats of high build primer. I have a deadline in two weeks for the car painted and back together, thinking it may not happen and more due to weather not being the greatest the next two weeks. If I could work on it every day it might be possible.

IMG_4107.JPG

IMG_4110.JPG

IMG_4111.JPG

IMG_4114.JPG

IMG_4115.JPG

Few spots going to need some attention but we'll see how bad it all is after block sanding. Did get some "Tiger Striping" on the flat surfaces, hoping that doesn't happen when I lay down the black paint. Yes my first car I've painted, had to strip most of the paint off and painting it black two strikes against me, what could go wrong. Lol

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I have been busy this week. First up Thursday I got the parts that are off the car primered.

View attachment 18667

Today I was able to do the rest of the car with 3 coats of high build primer. I have a deadline in two weeks for the car painted and back together, thinking it may not happen and more due to weather not being the greatest the next two weeks. If I could work on it every day it might be possible.

View attachment 18668

View attachment 18669

View attachment 18670

View attachment 18671

View attachment 18672

Few spots going to need some attention but we'll see how bad it all is after block sanding. Did get some "Tiger Striping" on the flat surfaces, hoping that doesn't happen when I lay down the black paint. Yes my first car I've painted, had to strip most of the paint off and painting it black two strikes against me, what could go wrong. Lol
Man, please tell me that is epoxy primer. Or you put down etch primer before spraying that.

OP
OP
KJ-00-GT

KJ-00-GT

Reaction score
Sanding, sanding and more sanding. Then will spray sealer coat of primer on most of the car, other parts are good to go. Hopefully I'm spraying tomorrow, then the weather is going get real hot and humid.

Iwarrior to answer your question, no. I'm full aware of the proper way and decided to do it this way, is it right? Probably not and if things go bad I'm the idiot that did it. Now my Camaro that is next, that will get epoxy along with the correct way to do paint and body. This car was just supposed to throw it together for something fun to drive while I'm still working on the Camaro.

IMG_4116.JPG

IMG_4121.JPG

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
you are right the cars are fun to drive , id sell the camaro , and dump more money in the mustang
thats just me

OP
OP
KJ-00-GT

KJ-00-GT

Reaction score
Been a little while but finally a update. Everything lined up for me and with low humidity on Friday I painted the car and drivers fender.

IMG_4155.JPG
IMG_4156.JPG

Yesterday on Saturday I finished by painting the rest of the loose parts off the car.
IMG_4162.JPG

And also started to reassemble it last night hoping to finish doing that today. My first paint job and I made some mistakes, a few runs/ sags and orange peel all over. So I will be doing a cut and buff down the road (O boy more sanding).
IMG_4163.JPG

Now I can finally get back to more fun stuff like suspension.

d.garza18

Reaction score
Been a little while but finally a update. Everything lined up for me and with low humidity on Friday I painted the car and drivers fender.

View attachment 19173
View attachment 19174

Yesterday on Saturday I finished by painting the rest of the loose parts off the car.
View attachment 19175

And also started to reassemble it last night hoping to finish doing that today. My first paint job and I made some mistakes, a few runs/ sags and orange peel all over. So I will be doing a cut and buff down the road (O boy more sanding).
View attachment 19176

Now I can finally get back to more fun stuff like suspension.
Looks great! Nothing beats doing the work yourself and learning a new set of skills! Snap some pics of that 69 haha! Those first gen Camaros are beauts

OP
OP
KJ-00-GT

KJ-00-GT

Reaction score
Finished putting it back together yesterday and took it for a drive today. It will be going to it's first car show in 2 weeks, don't know if I'll have the suspension in or the paint cut and buffed but I'm going.

IMG_4167.JPG

IMG_4166.JPG

OP
OP
KJ-00-GT

KJ-00-GT

Reaction score
Went to the two car shows last week and I haven't had time to get the suspension in yet. The second show this weekend between the two I had time to start the cut and buff. I got the trunk lid and the roof done. I had an issue with the front brakes getting very hot and were dragging real bad in the 15 minutes of driving to the show and back. I think I got that resolved tonight. Sanded the brake pads down a little, the calipers were tight to put on now they slide on over the pads. I'll take it on a test drive tomorrow on the same route.

THe worst part of the paint job.
IMG_4187.JPG

IMG_4188.JPG

IMG_4189.JPG

The roof came out better, wasn't as bad as the trunk and learned a little.
IMG_4191.JPG

At the car show with the Ford Hub MN group.
DSC_1752_lzn.jpg

Snorky

Reaction score
E cited to see more progress of the cut and buff. That roof and decklid came out sooo good!

OP
OP
KJ-00-GT

KJ-00-GT

Reaction score
Sounds like a caliper may be sticking
Could be right but it was both sides. With the pistons retracted all the way back I still had to use a hammer to get the calipers on over the pads when I installed them the first time, thinking oh they will wear in. That didn't happen with the long wearing ceramic pads and the drag caused heat that expanded things is what I believe. The brakes are all new with less then 200 miles on them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online