2002 Mustang GT convertible top issue

Akurma

Reaction score
I am going to look at a 2002 Mustang GT convertible tomorrow and the guy said that the top will go down but wont come back up and he has to pull it up manually himself. He also said that the driver door sags and needs a new hinge, dont know if that could be throwing the convertible top off? I know next to nothing about the convertible SN's as i've never had one lol. But the price on this one is too good not to pass up.

I am wondering what common issues the convertibles usually have, to me it sounds like the convertible top motor is either dying or low on fluid?

Just wanted as much information as possible before I go check it out and potentially purchase it.

Benni614

Reaction score
I am going to look at a 2002 Mustang GT convertible tomorrow and the guy said that the top will go down but wont come back up and he has to pull it up manually himself. He also said that the driver door sags and needs a new hinge, dont know if that could be throwing the convertible top off? I know next to nothing about the convertible SN's as i've never had one lol. But the price on this one is too good not to pass up.

I am wondering what common issues the convertibles usually have, to me it sounds like the convertible top motor is either dying or low on fluid?

Just wanted as much information as possible before I go check it out and potentially purchase it.
Convertibles fail alot very common. It can be bad wiring or hydraulic cylinder that pushes and pulls the top.
The door sagging is a hinge which is easy to replace LMR or American muscle sells them.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Convertibles fail alot very common. It can be bad wiring or hydraulic cylinder that pushes and pulls the top.
The door sagging is a hinge which is easy to replace LMR or American muscle sells them.

Agreed. Also have to watch the latches. My driver side one is inoperable so I have to pull the hook with my finger. There aren't too much to convertible tops like benni said. Few hundred bucks tops in parts. With it not raising up my money is on the hydraulic cylinder

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Benni614

Reaction score
Agreed. Also have to watch the latches. My driver side one is inoperable so I have to pull the hook with my finger. There aren't too much to convertible tops like benni said. Few hundred bucks tops in parts. With it not raising up my money is on the hydraulic cylinder

I personally don't like them because of where I live plus there is more shit that fails but more power to anyone rocking it.

OP
OP
Akurma

Akurma

Reaction score

Yeah im not worried about the door hinge at all, just wasnt sure if the door sagging could throw off some sensor for the top, thus making it not go up.

When i got to look at the car tomorrow ill thoroughly check the operation of the top to see if i can narrow down the issue. I am buying this to fix and sell. Convertibles are not my style but for $2,800 for a 5 speed 02 GT with 130k on it, it seems like a good deal considering these cars in similar shape go for 5-6 in my area.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Is the car a clean title no accidents?

I'm just saying this because i bought my 97 a few weeks ago and it has a sagging door(difficult to close). My car was wrecked and totaled at one point. I had the car up on jack stand and when to close the door. 100% perfect no sag. Most likely due to not a perfectly straight frame. Just something to be aware of. At that price totally not a deal breaker lol

Benni614

Reaction score

I'm just saying this because i bought my 97 a few weeks ago and it has a sagging door(difficult to close). My car was wrecked and totaled at one point. I had the car up on jack stand and when to close the door. 100% perfect no sag. Most likely due to not a perfectly straight frame. Just something to be aware of. At that price totally not a deal breaker lol

I agree just look at everything honestly 5 6k for GT is freaking robbery. Like a few grand u can get a cobra like why bother then u know.
If there are mods to it u wanna make sure that the seller didn't kill the car. Pull the dipstick bring a code reader

OP
OP
Akurma

Akurma

Reaction score

yeah clean title, that was the first thing i thought of as well. but just because it is clean doesn't mean it was never hit. Like you said, for the price its not a deal breaker.

I agree just look at everything honestly 5 6k for GT is freaking robbery. Like a few grand u can get a cobra like why bother then u know.
If there are mods to it u wanna make sure that the seller didn't kill the car. Pull the dipstick bring a code reader

Yeah i dont know who is paying 5-6k for a GT but thats what they go for in my area its crazy! I'd never pay that much for a GT. This one is bone stock as far as i can tell from the pictures, Although this one does have the Mach 1000 system still in it, i wonder if i could swap that into my 99 GT

Benni614

Reaction score
yeah clean title, that was the first thing i thought of as well. but just because it is clean doesn't mean it was never hit. Like you said, for the price its not a deal breaker.

Yeah i dont know who is paying 5-6k for a GT but thats what they go for in my area its crazy! I'd never pay that much for a GT. This one is bone stock as far as i can tell from the pictures, Although this one does have the Mach 1000 system still in it, i wonder if i could swap that into my 99 GT
Yes u can

Benni614

Reaction score
Yeah man u can drop it in any 99 to 04

Here is a few of what I did
d2f04a6b8e424193410ba2fe4fdc3915.jpg
586d1ef6b6d296aa8f405bc95a03d6cd.jpg
34e3eea0daa33168c15e3236ca00cf3a.jpg
338818e3304255acb1b72621841d48b4.jpg

OP
OP
Akurma

Akurma

Reaction score
Yeah man u can drop it in any 99 to 04

Wonder if its a simple bolt on? a quick search found this article that looks like Classic Design Concepts use to offer the kit, but unfortunately don't anymore. Also I how was the install of that K-member? i've got the same UPR kit ready to install after i paint the bay on my 99

Benni614

Reaction score
Wonder if its a simple bolt on? a quick search found this article that looks like Classic Design Concepts use to offer the kit, but unfortunately don't anymore. Also I how was the install of that K-member? i've got the same UPR kit ready to install after i paint the bay on my 99
Simple. Ok assemble the k member do not tighten anything down just hand tight the nuts and bolts.
Lift option--
Lift car up
Place exhaust stand or trans jack under engine with a block of wood so u don't crush anything
Relieve pressure by jack the engine up just enough that the rubber on the mounts move.
Remive engine mount bolts
Remove chassis ground
Remove the 6 bolts holding the k member up u will help 90lbs total
Make sure to drop the a arms down from the ball joint
Also remove the 2 bolts from the rack and pinion slide it forward and jmuse bunji cords to keep it away
Drop the k member kick it away lol
Up with the tubular k memeber and visa versa I have mad videos but on here u can't post them id k y

OP
OP
Akurma

Akurma

Reaction score
Took a look at convertible today... it was rough. The pictures and description on the post made it seem pretty decent. If they were only asking a grand for it, it would be a decent deal. But man oh man was it rough.
  • Both strut towers were starting to rust
  • convertible top didn't work at all and had a bunch of rips
  • rear glass was starting to separate from the top
  • inside smelled musty - definitely had been leaking
  • Both latches to release the top were flaking
  • Paint missing on hood
  • Front fender looked like bacon
  • Front & rear bumpers didn't fit right, had gaps
  • Some rust starting on the rear quarter
  • Mileage on cluster would come and go (common issue my 99 does this)
  • Clutch pedal vibrated like crazy
It's a shame because the car ran and shifted perfectly, had brand new inspection stickers, good tires and the Mach 1000 worked and sound far better than my Mach 460. But for $2,800 its not a deal for me. Maybe if it were around a grand or less I would take it on. I might low ball the guy and see what he says only because i want that Mach 1000 for myself lol

50280417077_e603997fc1_c.jpg

50280417007_3d069137c4_c.jpg

50280257411_f832c6593d_c.jpg

50279573928_d759fed530_c.jpg

50279573923_ca1f2c08cc_c.jpg

50279573978_6c3d418647_c.jpg

Last edited:

Benni614

Reaction score
Took a look at convertible today... it was rough. The pictures and description on the post made it seem pretty decent. If they were only asking a grand for it, it would be a decent deal. But man oh man was it rough.
  • Both strut towers were starting to rust
  • convertible top didn't work at all and had a bunch of rips
  • rear glass was starting to separate from the top
  • inside smelled musty - definitely had been leaking
  • Both latches to release the top were flaking
  • Paint missing on hood
  • Front fender looked like bacon
  • Front & rear bumpers didn't fit right, had gaps
  • Some rust starting on the rear quarter
  • Mileage on cluster would come and go (common issue my 99 does this)
  • Clutch pedal vibrated like crazy
It's a shame because the car ran and shifted perfectly, had brand new inspection stickers, good tires and the Mach 1000 worked and sound far better than my Mach 460. But for $2,800 its not a deal for me. Maybe if it were around a grand or less I would take it on. I might low ball the guy and see what he says only because i want that Mach 1000 for myself lol

50280417077_e603997fc1_c.jpg

50280417007_3d069137c4_c.jpg

50280257411_f832c6593d_c.jpg

50279573928_d759fed530_c.jpg

50279573923_ca1f2c08cc_c.jpg

50279573978_6c3d418647_c.jpg
See thats not worth it

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
Yeah, I would've passed on it too. Maybe 1k max and probably less the longer it sits.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
How many miles were on the car. I must not be as picky because a new top and a quality interior detail fixes half the issues. The rust spots didnt look horrible maybe come in at 2k or around that? Guess it's all in what you want the car for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online