2002 Trans Am Collector Edition

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Taking this thing on a 1,000 mile road trip this week to Myrtle Beach. Needless to say, I am a bit nervous. Hoping everything holds up, to include the weather.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You do know that they’re about to get slammed with hurricane Michael don’t you?!? It should be there in the next couple of days and is gonna mess them back up again as they still haven’t fully cleaned up and recovered from the last one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You do know that they’re about to get slammed with hurricane Michael don’t you?!? It should be there in the next couple of days and is gonna mess them back up again as they still haven’t fully cleaned up and recovered from the last one

We got a little bit of wind and some drizzling, overall not bad. The only issues we encountered from Hurricane Florence was the elevators not working in the parking garage :)

Alright time for a quick update. Took the car to Myrtle Beach for the F-Body beach bash. I was a bit nervous taking it on a thousand mile trip but it worked out great. Only issue we really uncovered was the A/C would start out blowing strong, then it would slowly dwindle to almost nothing.

I pulled out the blower motor and cleaned out the leaves but that made no difference. Through research we determined it may be the evaporator freezing from improper Freon levels. This seemed likely because I could turn off the A/C and use the vent only and it would blow cold for a while, and slowly get stronger blowing, essentially thawing out the frozen area. So once in Myrtle Beach we got the Freon vacuumed down and filled, though on the return trip it continued to do the same thing. So, I’m stumped.

We also noticed some water coming in on the T-Tops when we washed the car. It looks like the seal that goes onto the middle T separator track thingy is possibly mis-shaped. I plan to attack that ASAP. I will also be lubricating the rest of the seals. The driver’s window might need some adjustment because at speed it makes some noise and it seems to let water in as well. Nothing like a trip to find issues!

Anyhow, onto the rest of the update:

Prior to leaving I installed a Mighty Mouse Solutions catch can. The piece seems to be very high quality. I have not yet checked it to see if we’re getting any oil – either way it’s a nice unit and needed to be done.

The one I ordered:

https://www.mightymousesolutions.com/product-page/4th-gen-f-body-mild

Pics:

The Beach Bash was great, and the people at Hawks were awesome. While at the car show I purchased and installed the Strano master cylinder brace. The part is very high quality, install is very simple. One of my biggest complaints with the car thus far is the stopping ability compared to other vehicles we have. This changed that IMMENSELY. By far the biggest improvement I’ve ever seen from any part that installs in minutes. On the way back to the hotel I had to slam the brakes and it felt like the rear end lifted off the ground. Great!

We also ordered a set of subframe connectors, though I know there are mixed reviews on how necessary they are. I also ordered a set of UMI lowering springs.

The parts that we ordered/installed:

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=1466&CategoryID=269&ModelID=7

from Hawks: http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/strano-brake-master-cylinder-brace-93-2002-camaro-firebird/

SFCs: http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/haw...o-firebird-weld-in-subframe-connectors-boxed/

Springs: http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/cam...spring-kit-1-25-1-5-lowering-umi-performance/

(I have new shocks to put in at the house already)

So all of those parts should be installed soon!

During our time in South Carolina we drove the car around a bit and took some pics. We did not do the Autocross (though I really wanted to) mostly because we wanted to make sure we could make it 500 miles back home. We all know stuff breaks when you start having fun. The event looked awesome. Drag racing got cancelled because of damage from Hurricane Florence.

She ended up placing in the car show, and it was the only CETA that we saw. I will say, there were probably more deserving cars at the show, but she was really happy to win something. Most people probably did not realize there’s almost 130k on the clock! Either way, it was tons of fun, here are some shots from the trip.

Thanks for looking:

Bracket pics and install:

Touchless Car Wash!

On a side note, if you’ve never been to Myrtle Beach – I am pretty sure you could eat at a different breakfast place, seafood buffet for lunch and an Italian restaurant for dinner every single day and not eat at the same place twice for like two weeks. You could also putt putt golf at a difference place every day. It was pretty amusing!

After hearing all the cammed cars, she wants H/C/I – good time to uh, freshen up the motor!

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, as far as I can tell the windows are all adjusted! I went ahead and added some Kilmat to the doors, changed the bulbs out (they have never worked) and put everything back together. I think I made need to make a new vapor barrier. The ones on there were so messed up I just tossed them. But knowing my luck, that’s going to be one of those weirdly impossible things to replace ha!

Anyhow, some pics:

I popped off the center piece and I’ve been putting the ends in the sun. They seem to be flattening out some. Tonight I might try to hit them with a little heat to try putting everything back together. I really wish I could find a new set of these, I’d be much happier.

Thanks for looking!

01yellercobra

Reaction score
My buddy went to the dark side with an 01 T/A and is running bottom 10's with a fairly simple engine build. I'm pretty sure it's a 6.0 with ported heads, cam, and LSX intake. Hes hoping for 9's on the spray. I can ask for details if you're interested. For research purposes of course.

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy went to the dark side with an 01 T/A and is running bottom 10's with a fairly simple engine build. I'm pretty sure it's a 6.0 with ported heads, cam, and LSX intake. Hes hoping for 9's on the spray. I can ask for details if you're interested. For research purposes of course.

Haha if you don't mind getting some info we would not mind! I think H/C and this car will be set. She wants to do the rear end first. So there's that haha

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
My cousin had a beautiful silver ws6...but then he went and had it painted purple with gigantic metal flakes that sparkle rainbow colors...then slapped on some big ass busy looking chrome wheels. Oh....and he just turned 50 years old first of the month :oops:

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
looking good!!! thanx for all the pics. never heard of a m/c brace before. interesting.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My cousin had a beautiful silver ws6...but then he went and had it painted purple with gigantic metal flakes that sparkle rainbow colors...then slapped on some big ass busy looking chrome wheels. Oh....and he just turned 50 years old first of the month :oops:

You did disown him afterwards didn’t you?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
Well he sold that car...probably needed beer money idk lol. But he did buy a 95 gt...had some of that purple sparkle paint left over and painted that bitch the exact same way :p:p

12743959_1089307377755979_2638829385379729581_n.jpg

Last edited:

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack your thread Jeremy lol...you could use a good lol I'm sure

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Judging by the color you posted later, it didn't look toooooooo bad. But it would pain me to hurt a good paint job just for the sake of doing so ;)

looking good!!! thanx for all the pics. never heard of a m/c brace before. interesting.

Sure thing! I will be doing more soon, just gotta get some time! The master cylinder brace worked wonders!

Sorry to hijack your thread Jeremy lol...you could use a good lol I'm sure

I just like getting some traffic in here. It's all good :)

These are probably in my top 5 favorite cars.

Thanks! It's great. When we were hunting I drove one for the first time and, it's pretty much exactly what you expect. Kind of like the Mustang, but not quite haha

(but you're more scared to touch the interior, for fear of breaking it!)

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright so it’s time for a little update. To start with, I will point out how I screwed up doing those little T-Top Bar “seals:”

I managed to get both of the pieces fairly well straightened out. For those who do not know, these pieces are very difficult (read: impossible) to find and have not been in production for a number of years. The only real option is a junk yard and hoping for the best. I was short on time to go hunt, so I wanted to make these work.

All was going well until I went to put them on, with no reference.

And like a total idiot, I glued them down and folded them over. Not only is the flip wrong, but I also glued the front to the back and vice versa, expecting that this piece could go either way.

These pieces do go on with super glue for anyone wondering what adhesive to use on theirs.

So, with much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I managed to undo my blunder, and get the pieces on correctly/better than they were before.

While I had the bar out, I did shoot a little bit of RTV in the front gap near the windshield. If it does absolutely nothing, great, it’s hidden. If it helps prevent any leaks, great, I hate leaks. Win-win unless I’m told the car will fall apart with it there or something (knowing my luck!)

If you decide to tackle this job, make sure to put some sealant in the screw holes/on the screws as well when setting it back down. I have not checked for leaks since the repair, but I am confident the sealant is much better than what was there.

Anyways:

Front

Rear

They probably got a little disfigured from the heat, but overall better than they were, by a long shot. And now there are close up shots of those pieces on the car, which I had a very difficult time finding any when I was hunting (which is why I made my initial blunder!)

Next on the list was re-making some vapor barriers. I will admit, I sort of rushed through this in a day. They could probably be better, and I will probably make some changes in the future.

I ultimately used some 4-mil plastic doubled over (so 8-mil) and double sided tape, in more or less the same pattern the original followed.

But first! I bought a laminate roller to use to roll down all of the sound deadening material:

It worked fairly well; obviously it gets tight trying to roll inside the door. Overall I think it made it a bit better than not having it.

So after that I put it all back together, and all seems fine. I have noticed the door seems slightly more difficult to shut since the window adjustment. I am not sure if this is wrong, or if I just made it seal really well. I will say, you don’t have to “Slam” the door, but you need to mean it when you shut it. You can close it softly then push the door in though, which is what I typically do anyways.

That said, I had the whole fleet out while I was cleaning up some stuff in the garage so:

Thanks for looking! I am hoping to have it lowered with subframe connectors installed in the next couple weeks. I am tired of those parts and the shocks taking up space in the garage!

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
nice work!!!! you will laugh, but in the past, made some vapor barriers using shower liner that comes on a roll like a home depot. cuts easily and worked really well in the car I put it in.

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
nice work!!!! you will laugh, but in the past, made some vapor barriers using shower liner that comes on a roll like a home depot. cuts easily and worked really well in the car I put it in.

You know, I've heard of using that. Honestly it would probably be better!

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
it is a tad thicker, but being pvc material, stands up to more use and provides a really good barrier. I liked using it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online