2v quest for power

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
Still can't figure out why it won't make any boost. So going to go over things one more time.

But I think I'm ready to tear down for the winter. Get it ready for a cage, rear end and put the fuel injection on.

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
Idk why but the turbo just won't spool. I'll take it for a drive and it'll spool, then the next day it won't spool anything. Maybe timing issue? Maybe the turbo is bad but I doubt that as it is a quality piece from forced inductions.

Yes the intake is fuel injection, but I'll be going with the fitech go efi 8 boost ready. Good for 1200hp and about 20psi. Pretty sweet system

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Idk why but the turbo just won't spool. I'll take it for a drive and it'll spool, then the next day it won't spool anything. Maybe timing issue? Maybe the turbo is bad but I doubt that as it is a quality piece from forced inductions.

Yes the intake is fuel injection, but I'll be going with the fitech go efi 8 boost ready. Good for 1200hp and about 20psi. Pretty sweet system

What did you do to block off the injector holes in the intake?

Nighttrain

Reaction score
They shouldve been already drilled and tapped for the injectors, what did you do to cap them. An s475 is a big turbo, and takes forever to spool up. Yea you van make big boost but if its not starting to spool till 4k rpm, you dont have a long range for it to create its potential. Id go smaller but thats me. You can still hit 20 lbs and then some on a smaller turbo that starts to spool much sooner.

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
They shouldve been already drilled and tapped for the injectors, what did you do to cap them. An s475 is a big turbo, and takes forever to spool up. Yea you van make big boost but if its not starting to spool till 4k rpm, you dont have a long range for it to create its potential. Id go smaller but thats me. You can still hit 20 lbs and then some on a smaller turbo that starts to spool much sooner.

Yea, they weren't tapped. Yea it's a little bigger. Its from forced induction and has an 83mm exhaust wheel and 1.1 t4.

When it does run pretty well it spools alright. It is slow but it spools just fine. So something else is going on I think.

I have my on3 turbo still, could slap that on there ans see if it makes a difference.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I would slap on your old turbo to rule out any turbo issues. Have you checked for any clamps/v-bands/weld leaks that could be causing the spool issue?

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Check all your rubber boots too. Sometimes you can get an intermittent leak depending on how they flex. Youll lose your boost there too.
My point with the turbo size is you can hit just as much boost but with a turbo that spools faster.

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
This week I'll go through all that I think. Change out the turbo and make sure it's not bad or anything dumb.

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
Check all your rubber boots too. Sometimes you can get an intermittent leak depending on how they flex. Youll lose your boost there too.
My point with the turbo size is you can hit just as much boost but with a turbo that spools faster.

Yea I'll double check all that too. Good point. Just gotta hit the basics.

Yea I know, but I just bought the turbo and can't really afford to just switch out turbos like that. I trust what forced inductions recommend and have seen others use this turbo. And I have a feeling I have another motor in the near future maybe more fit for this turbo. Ive also got a Nitrous kit on the shelf so I'll put that back on if the turbo really does take that long to spool.

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
Alright guys, I believe I found the issue! I think the carb needed a little help but that wasn't causing the whole issue. I think the crank sensor was messed up. So got that solved and the ignition was putting in waaayyyyy too much timing. So got a new timing curve in there and now it spools.

The turbo is smoking a bit which worries me a little and my oil pressure is at like 25psi when the motor is idling at 800rpm.

Hopefully some track times before the summer is over!

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
ordered up some fuel injection so that will start next weekend, pretty stoked about it.

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
me neither, it's been pretty awesome going through different things with my wife. And she still supports my car habits. In fact I feel her car will be pushed to get finished pretty soon. Now that we have a kid she is talking about an old wagon or Lincoln to use as a cruiser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
STANGFLOYD

Members online

No members online now.