2v to 4v auto?

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
Thinking about all the routes to take on my GT. If I went with an 96-98 4v swap, How would my auto hold up/ respond?

I am going to s/c my GT in the future, so Im trying to research all my options. And a 4v would be better in the long run.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
your right about the 4 Valve being better (thats why I traded for a 99 Cobra from a 98 GT) I dont know how long the aode in your GT will last, they are not as good as the new aod's in the 99 and up cars. If you do the 4 valve swap, I would plan on getting a new trans also not too far down the road. Plan ahead now and be glad you did rather than sorry you didn't. :thumb:

97vertstang

Reaction score
i actually been thinking about the same thing.i know the swap shouldnt be that hard.just extend some wires and a custom tune.i wonder though if the auto tranny in our cars will handle the extra power.i was about to get a mark 8 engine but decide to either go pi or wait to see if down the road i can find a cobra engine.they have lots of info on 4v swap on fastestmodulars.com if u find anything let me know :thumb: :drunk:

OP
OP
O

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
Where is BlackFang at......... I bet he give us some info/advise.

I was thinking about doing the PI swap but I want to s/c down the road. Maybe I just get some good cams, PI intake then s/c the 2v.

It would make a awesome sleeper having a blown 4v in a GT.... :thumb:

STNG_96

Reaction score
First of all, 96 and up have 4R70W trannies in them, secondly, ive never heard of someone mating an automatic tranny, and cobra motor, not to say that it cant be done or anything. If it were me, id take the opportunity to swap the car to a manual.

97vertstang

Reaction score
well the mark 8s are automatic.shouldnt it be the same??what tranny do the mark 8s come with??

OP
OP
O

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
STNG_96 said:
First of all, 96 and up have 4R70W trannies in them, secondly, ive never heard of someone mating an automatic tranny, and cobra motor, not to say that it cant be done or anything. If it were me, id take the opportunity to swap the car to a manual.

I know it would bolt-up, but for the price of swappin' to a 5 spd I could build a bad ass auto.

Maybe I'll be the 1st to try.

STNG_96

Reaction score
That would be good, pioneer something new. I guess if you have the money and the motivation, go for it, be sure and keep us updated.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've considered that a few years ago when you could buy 01 4V complete engines.

It seems like alot of extra parts and expense to do it.
You're better off buying a cobra, if you really want a 4V.

If you put in a 96-02 cobra engine, you're not gaining much power for your expense.
If you want to push over 500, you have to buy a forged rotating assembly anyway
If you do an 03/04 motor, it costs more, has an eaton on it, hard to find.

For less money you can build up your 2V , then add a blower.

If you're happy with 400 HP, you dont need to do anything to the motor

Dont underestimate the 2V.
There are guys out there with over 1000HP. :dancing6:

sn98gt

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
I've considered that a few years ago when you could buy 01 4V complete engines.

It seems like alot of extra parts and expense to do it.
You're better off buying a cobra, if you really want a 4V.

If you put in a 96-02 cobra engine, you're not gaining much power for your expense.
If you want to push over 500, you have to buy a forged rotating assembly anyway
If you do an 03/04 motor, it costs more, has an eaton on it, hard to find.

For less money you can build up your 2V , then add a blower.

If you're happy with 400 HP, you dont need to do anything to the motor

Dont underestimate the 2V.
There are guys out there with over 1000HP. :dancing6:
I agree, the 2v starts out lower on the totem pole than the 4valves, but with the right parts they can really scream... I'd just boy a shorblock (id recomend mph) put some pi heads on it with blower cams/springs, drop it in your car with the auto, save up and either convert it to a viper spec t56 or do a tko, or build up your auto and then add a blower... slap a kb 2.2 on that biatch and go eat up some cobras

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online