2v valve seals

greenscobie86

Reaction score
@ massacre:

Appreciate the tips! So you're saying there is NO WAY to do this on a mustang platform without dropping the motor?

OP
OP
duff daddy

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
i mean maybe there is a tool out there that will work better, but from what i can see with the short breaker bar, you cant get it in there and still have room to menuver

massacre

Reaction score
greenscobie86 said:
@ massacre:

Appreciate the tips! So you're saying there is NO WAY to do this on a mustang platform without dropping the motor?

Not saying any specific Mustang platform, solely speaking about the situation at hand..
And it is always possible to do it with the motor in the car, and use a "better" tool, but then you have to remove the cams, which opens up a whole different can of worms.
Either you say F it and remove all of the FEAD stuff and the timing cover and degree the cams(which is a C-bag to do in the car anyways), or you sit in the corner and jerk off. The tensioners play a big part in the amount of chain slack and while you're changing seals, the tensioners bleed down. It's not that hard to jump a tooth. They do make tools to hold the 2V cam gear in place. I've never used one, but the 3V uses one that works awesome.
If the motor's running good,why mess with the timing. If you're going to mess with the timing, at least time it correctly.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
I see...

Well, since i was planning on doing the PI cams anyways I am comfortable retiming the motor.
I appreciate the firsthand knowledge though...

So you are in agreement that the OTC valve spring tool doesn't have enough clearance to undo the springs?

If you guys could throw the writeup together I would appreciate it alot. Maybe I'll just take my spare NPI heads, P&P them and assemble them on my work bench, then simply "swap" them out in place of the old ones...

:icon_rr:

OP
OP
duff daddy

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
i have the write up portion done, now i just need to get more timline photo's for the step by step how to. im working on it, it just takes a while with life and everything else going on.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
duff daddy said:
i have the write up portion done, now i just need to get more timline photo's for the step by step how to. im working on it, it just takes a while with life and everything else going on.

No problem man. Thanks alot for all the help so far.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
duff daddy said:
i mean maybe there is a tool out there that will work better, but from what i can see with the short breaker bar, you cant get it in there and still have room to menuver
massacre said:
The OTC tool works fine.

So the tool is good? Just not enough room to manuever it with the engine inside the car?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online