2v valve seals

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Does anyone have any specific questions as to How to... replace valve seals, what they look like, what they do ... where they are??? The reason for this is i just did them this weekend and would like to post some pictures and a comprehensive how to on the replacement of valve seals. Let me know,it will only make it better for you guys and myself !!

Thanks duffy
THIS IS MY BODY LIFT PHOTO lol
dsc01778o.jpg

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was just cruising various classifieds for an OTC tool so i could do that :)
What did you use? FoMoCo or Felpro.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
answer:

yes.

please do a detailed write up. I BARELY know what you are talking about, i would never know how to take them apart or repair it...... :)

greenscobie86

Reaction score
PLEASE DO POST SOME PICS!

My car smokes like a chimey, so I'm gonna be doing this in a week or 2. :headbang:

I went for the FelPro Viton style seals and new FelPro valve cover grommets. I'm planning on reusing my VC gaskets + a little silicone.

This is a writeup I found:

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00094.html

Its the same motor so I figure I'll just go by that. There aren't any differences except for maybe some vacuum tube/intake routing differences between the Town car and a mod engined Mustang. A good friend of my father's has a shop where he services livery cabs/limos(Crown Vics and Town Cars) so I'll just borrow the OTC tool from him. He's done the job many a time, and gave me some pointers like going slow and not loosing the keepers lol :rolleyes:...

It's not gonna be a quick job but I figure I'll knock it out in a weekend and throw some PI cams in there while I'm at it.
I'm still on the fence about using the rope or air method on keeping the valves closed. The rope is tedious but less dangerous, as I have heard that if you use a little too much air pressure the motor may kick over and there go the valves...

I'll be posting pics and hoefully a writeup as I go along, but the link above pretty much does all that anyways.

4.6Rob

Reaction score
double please. post up as many pics and info as possible. my car needs them bad.

OP
OP
duff daddy

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
alright, i will do that, if the other guy wants to do one thats fine. mine will include all my photos, and then all the info with a TON of pic's i dont have many now but all the pictures wi will be taking will have the heads off (using my old npi heads for the photo's so you can see better. i have a pretty good write up now just need to tweak it a little and ill be good to go.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
duff daddy said:
alright, i will do that, if the other guy wants to do one thats fine. mine will include all my photos, and then all the info with a TON of pic's i dont have many now but all the pictures wi will be taking will have the heads off (using my old npi heads for the photo's so you can see better. i have a pretty good write up now just need to tweak it a little and ill be good to go.

Hurry the F up im bored and i need something to Read!!!

And hey whats up with Modular Misfits there not so talkative over there.NMRADigital Either,Alot of helpful info but not nearly as busy as SN Forums or MM

OP
OP
duff daddy

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
they are more concerned for racing then taling about "sweet tinted tails" and what rims (thought they were wheels??) look better with what car... and how sick someones drop is..... check your in box you ahve a pm homesssssssssssssssss

330CubeGt

Reaction score
duff daddy said:
they are more concerned for racing then taling about "sweet tinted tails" and what rims (thought they were wheels??) look better with what car... and how sick someones drop is..... check your in box you ahve a pm homesssssssssssssssss

Yea, i understand that ,I want to shoot the shit about Drag Racing or suspension setups or weight reduction or anything race related but even then there is not many talkative people over there is seems, lol.I wish This forums had a more "Serious" Drag Race Sub Forum.

Write up looks great,should be sweet with some pics...

OP
OP
duff daddy

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
lol yea if you want the serious stuff go to YB thoes guys are NUTSSSSSSS

greenscobie86

Reaction score
duff daddy said:
alright, i will do that, if the other guy wants to do one thats fine. mine will include all my photos, and then all the info with a TON of pic's i dont have many now but all the pictures we will be taking will have the heads off (using my old npi heads for the photo's so you can see better.

Ahhh, so you did this with the heads off the car? Or did you actually perform the job by holding the valves closed and not popping the heads off?

BTW, I'm not trying to steal your spotlight or anything... Just sharing what I know. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
duff daddy

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
the heads were on the car when we did it, and we did it with compressed air. im gonna take all the photos with the heads off the car (spare heads)

greenscobie86

Reaction score
^Sweet! I'm patiently waiting for the pics.

Have you looked at the Linc writeup I found earlier? Are there many differences?

OP
OP
duff daddy

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
ill look right now..ok i DO NOT like the sting idea, i dont like how he went in wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy in detail about taking v/c's off and some other stuff, he sounded kind of like a hack as far as he didnt say ANYTHIGN bout how hard getting the keepers are. didnt show you what keepers look like at all ... so yea ill try to do better its just gonna take time for me to get all the pic's i need.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
Awesome. thanks for the feedback! I thought the keepers would be one of the hardest parts of the whole schpiel...

Taking the VC's off is easy enough lol, you can actually see them haha, unlike the keepers.

What was your timeframe on the job?

Also, if you need help with pics I can try to take some if you want me to... Just let me know.

OP
OP
duff daddy

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
greenscobie86 said:
Awesome. thanks for the feedback! I thought the keepers would be one of the hardest parts of the whole schpiel...

Taking the VC's off is easy enough lol, you can actually see them haha, unlike the keepers.

What was your timeframe on the job?

Also, if you need help with pics I can try to take some if you want me to... Just let me know.

now that i know what i need to do, ah the motor out, dropped and seals replaced and back in the car running i did it in just over 36 hours ..... now that i know whast up prob 12 hours or less maybe 8?

OP
OP
duff daddy

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
and eys the keepers are the 100% worst part haha very agravating. do not use a magnetic screw driver ill have more then enough pic's

massacre

Reaction score
greenscobie86 said:
I have heard that if you use a little too much air pressure the motor may kick over and there go the valves...

By removing the followers first, this leaves the valves completely closed. No way the motor bumping over can hurt them :shrug:

BTW I was the other part of "we"...lol.
The reason it took so long is because we were planning on doing this with the motor in the car. After doing the first one it was pretty obvious that there was no room to do all of them with the motor in the car. This was my fault, I'm used to working on Panther platform cars, where there actually is enough room to do this in the car. If we had planned on a motor drop, and if we had started earlier we could definitely do it in a day. I've done harder jobs in a day...lol. BTW Duffy is great to work with, and I don't say that about many people.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online