3” arp wheel studs installation

J_lope82

Reaction score
Guys looking for tips/advice on how to install 3” arp wheel studs on new rear axle shafts. I just ordered two new drill bits to drill out the holes. I ordered a 37/64 and a 39/64. I couldn’t find them locally. I’ll try the 37/64 first and see how that works.
Any advice to make things easier Would be greatly appreciated thanks!!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Check the arp site and see what size bit it calls for. When I did mine, I went straight up to the size it required. Use some never seize on the threads, if you have an old open end lug nut flip it upside down, stack some washers on the lug, and pull them in with a wrench.

Or you can get fancy and order a lug installer that is a nut with a bearing on it and pulls them in smoothly.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
I went with the 2.5" studs, but there's information about tools and install tips in this video that might help:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
when I needed to install longer studs it took a little bit of time to find one that would just press in but I did find arp made them. It would probably be cheaper than buying bits as well as you don't have the issue of messing the hole up.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
Did you all use a regular drill or a drill press? I dont have a drill press.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the set I got all I had to do was pound them out with a hammer and then I used special bearing that I put on it and then used the impact wrench to pull it into the hole. Even with a drill press you run the risk of moving the hole a little bit.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
the set I got all I had to do was pound them out with a hammer and then I used special bearing that I put on it and then used the impact wrench to pull it into the hole. Even with a drill press you run the risk of moving the hole a little bit.
The ones I got say you need to drill out the holes with a 39/64 drill bit.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think I got the same studs you did and was on the same quest as you to find the right drill bit. After that was the question of it I could keep the lined up perfectly and after a little while I got the other studs.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
Yes i know I can always count on you all for some great advice. The drill bit will be in Tuesday. I’m off Wednesday so I’ll probably do it then.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
eh then I am glad I was able to find the press in version myself. They are out there if anyone else is reading and I wish I had the model number of the ones I used to help.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
When I looked there were only two sets of arp wheel studs available. 2.5” and 3”.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.