331 HP estimation?

Chenn2389

Reaction score
Hey looking to get a realistic HP/TQ estimate for my new combo, I'm gonna run it on a dyno when I get the time. Not sure where to take it in arizona.

331 stroker, scat crank, forged I beam, Forged flat top pistons. 10.3:1 comp ratio.
Edelbrock performer heads. 170cc intake runners, 60cc combustion chambers.
Crane gold 1.6 pedestal mount roller rockers, engine pro springs for my cam.
trick flow stage 2 cam. TFS-51403002.
trick flow track heat intake.
bbk 75mm throttle body
bbk 76mm maf
bbk CAI
24# ford blue top injectors
190lph fuel pump
msd ignition
ford racing shorty headers
magnaflow highflow cats
x-pipe
magnaflow street series cat back
t5z transmission
aluminum fly wheel
aluminum drive shaft
3.73 gears, thinking about goin to 3.55 instead

tuned remote on the street by Adam Marre from Pop's Racing using a quarter horse. It pulls hard and rev'd out at 6300 rpm.

I plan to swap to larger heads, bigger fuel pump, and bigger injectors when I save the coin, but will be enjoying the combo as is for a few years. I got my heads used and had them refreshed.

joemomma

Reaction score
I'd guess 350 wheel, if not more. That's a pretty healthy combo, pretty similar to what I'm shopping for. Did you upgrade your stock block or go crate motor route? Most of the 331 crates I'm seeing advertise anywhere from 375 - 415 flywheel, so 350 wheel seems about right. I don't know that I want to mess with trying to get my stock block machined and all that at this point. There's really only one (maybe two) solid machine work guys in town any more, and it's pricey.

OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
I'd guess 350 wheel, if not more. That's a pretty healthy combo, pretty similar to what I'm shopping for. Did you upgrade your stock block or go crate motor route? Most of the 331 crates I'm seeing advertise anywhere from 375 - 415 flywheel, so 350 wheel seems about right. I don't know that I want to mess with trying to get my stock block machined and all that at this point. There's really only one (maybe two) solid machine work guys in town any more, and it's pricey.
I do wish I went the crate engine route. I had my stock block stroked to 331. It cost me a lot more in the long run and it took about 9 months. By the time I was tuned it was 12 months. At the same time I'm glad I was able to support local small business and keep the money in the local economy.

joemomma

Reaction score
Yeah I understand wanting to support local, I try when I can but at the same time, I don't want my car on the sideline for a year.

EDIT: to add to that, it seems like everyone I know that has engine work done around here that it takes a year. A buddy of mine was restoring a '69 or '70 Mach 1, and the engine guy had his engine for 6 months and didn't touch it. He finally had to go get it and take it somewhere else to get anything done on it.

OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
Yeah I understand wanting to support local, I try when I can but at the same time, I don't want my car on the sideline for a year.

EDIT: to add to that, it seems like everyone I know that has engine work done around here that it takes a year. A buddy of mine was restoring a '69 or '70 Mach 1, and the engine guy had his engine for 6 months and didn't touch it. He finally had to go get it and take it somewhere else to get anything done on it.
Same stories around here. All the guys still in the machine shop game are older than 65 and semi retired. They own their equipment and space and just keep it going on their time for fun. Sadly that whole industry is about to collapse.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have been wondering which way to go when its time for me to get a new motor. Crate it is....

joemomma

Reaction score
Same here, the ones that are left are like you said, older and kind of just do it to have something to do. No rush on anything. Probably just doing it to get out of the house and see old friends who still come by the shop.

What I'm seeing from crate motors (FI-ready at least) are around $7K+ for a complete drop in. You can go carbed a bit cheaper but I have no desire to go carb. Just a top end kit is $3K, add another $1500-2000 for a stroker kit, then you still have to get the block machined/cleaned up. Seems like a good way to go.

OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
I got used heads complete with roller rockers and had a valve job done probably about 1k. Block machined and assembled to long block was 5.8k. Intake and other random shit another 1k. Tuning software and hardware plus tuners time 1.4k.

So roughly 9.5k just on the engine.

Transmission, drive shaft, clutch and flywheel, all new control arms, gears, and brakes lol you get the idea. If you do anything plan to be locked into that car forever hahaha

joemomma

Reaction score
I got used heads complete with roller rockers and had a valve job done probably about 1k. Block machined and assembled to long block was 5.8k. Intake and other random shit another 1k. Tuning software and hardware plus tuners time 1.4k.

Transmission, drive shaft, clutch and flywheel, all new control arms, gears, and brakes lol you get the idea. If you do anything plan to be locked into that car forever hahaha
Man, it all adds up quick! Plus all that time waiting.

95opal

Reaction score

5.8k for a stock block? ouch you could have built a dart block stroker cheaper

Makoto

Reaction score
i would think that should do it. i made less with similar compression and you'd have more displacement.

joe65

Reaction score
Same stories around here. All the guys still in the machine shop game are older than 65 and semi retired. They own their equipment and space and just keep it going on their time for fun. Sadly that whole industry is about to collapse.
seems to be a common thing. I waited 6 months just to get machine work done here also. I thought that was bad, but probably wasn't at all. it is going to be a thing in the next 10 years for sure once everything is gone electric so many things will be come a dying breed...what a huge change in this country.

95opal

Reaction score
Unless your buying a mass produced crate motor expect a 6 month wait on anything worth while. Between my motor and trans i waited over a year. As with anything hand built or costum your UPS man wont be dropping it off a week after you order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online