4.6 guys come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Are there any "performance" crate motors in the 4.6 variety? Or is the coyote swap the only thing going for y'all now? There are still a handful of Windsor crate motors but the hp per dollar never really adds up vs having one rebuilt.

Don't Sext and Drive.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Machining companys offer crate engines short and long blocks, but the price eqautes to a coyote swap. That coyote is a mean engine that runs on 87octane.

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Machining companys offer crate engines short and long blocks, but the price eqautes to a coyote swap. That coyote is a mean engine that runs on 87octane.
What would you say is the typical cost for an "entry level" 4.6 crate and how much is the advertised hp? When you say that the price of the 4.6 would equate to a coyote swap are you including everything else needed to make the swap work and are we taking new or used parts?

Don't Sext and Drive.

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
No real crate motors. Your best bet is a rebuild with forged parts and a blower.

07GtS197

Reaction score
+1 on the blower. 4.6s are boost motors, they lack displacement so theyre not good na motors imo.

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
No real crate motors. Your best bet is a rebuild with forged parts and a blower.
What does the non pi guy do? Rebuild the bottom end, do the pi swap, and add a blower? What kind of power would you guess a stockish '00 GT w 8 lbs of centrifugal boost would make? Does the power "come on" real high in the rpm range? At what rpm does a stock pi headed 2v mustang have to shift.
Forged internals- just how jinky are the stockers? How much boost is Joe Schmoe running? Joe Schmoe 5.0 with a blower is running like 10 lbs + or - on the stock bottom end and more times than not the block will give out before the rotating assy at around 500 hp or so.
What would y'all say is the "target" hp number that the "working man" hobby builder is trying to achieve in both pi and non-pi varieties?
The "magic number" to make or break for the fox and 94/95 GT's is still 300 for those not looking to spend a fortune. You know somewhere in the $3k-5k range.
I'm not saying one is better than the other just curious is all.
*edit* I'm more curious about the 2v's because there are a butt-ton of them vs the 3v
Don't Sext and Drive.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
What are you saying here ^
Are you wanting to dabble into the modular world?

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
In my opinion, coyote swap is the way to go. There has been plenty of guys do the swap and from what it looks like, is its not that difficult. There is even an aftermarket following making parts for the swaps now. I don't want to offend anyone, but I would absolutely NEVER build the 4.6 2v in my car. I know there is a niche crowd that likes make big power from the unassuming 4.6 2v, but there are much more economical ways to make power. If youre content with 400hp, throw a vortech on it and call it a day. If youre looking for big power, the coyote swap is the way to go. Drop it in and you have 400hp n/a from a factory-reliable new motor. If you get bored with it, slap a blower on it and have 600+ wheel horsepower.

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
What are you saying here ^
Are you wanting to dabble into the modular world?

Maybe so. I won't be buying a new toy anytime soon, but my dad bought a 97 GT vert not long ago. It's ok, buts needs some tlc. Just seeing what kind of options are out there in the motor department. But more than likely he'll probably just do the suspension and drive as is.

Don't Sext and Drive.

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
There's a thread in the engine section about 5.4s. [MENTION=14727]96blak54[/MENTION] is your man when it comes to 5.4s

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Their is another guy to look up as well. I forgot his screen name but it was "330----" something another

07GtS197

Reaction score
Imo the 5.4 swap isnt worth it. If you can get a block and internals for next to nothing and install a big turbo you can make decent power and lots of torque, then it might be worth it. Sharkbait on ModdedMustangs did the swap and he even says its not worth it.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
[MENTION=18292]Wichers123[/MENTION] just did a turbo 5.4 swap. He came from a built 4.6 to his stock 5.4 lets see what he has to say about it.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
And I will definitely second that [MENTION=14727]96blak54[/MENTION] is the man for the 5.4 or heck, anything modular really.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Imo the 5.4 swap isnt worth it. If you can get a block and internals for next to nothing and install a big turbo you can make decent power and lots of torque, then it might be worth it. Sharkbait on ModdedMustangs did the swap and he even says its not worth it.
Understanding piston speeds to port volume gains a really good understanding as to why the 5.4l swap isnt worth while. No magic hp can be made between the 2 if the port volume is the same. Hp between the 2 will be close, but torque reproduction will be far from close. Bigger cubes, stroke, rod length of the 5.4l makes for an awesome work horse.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Understanding piston speeds to port volume gains a really good understanding as to why the 5.4l swap isnt worth while. No magic hp can be made between the 2 if the port volume is the same. Hp between the 2 will be close, but torque reproduction will be far from close. Bigger cubes, stroke, rod length of the 5.4l makes for an awesome work horse.

Thats what Im saying pretty much. Plus Ive heard that the 2v heads dont flow enough to support a 5.4 so to force feed it I would assume would help but theyd need to be ported a lot. Plus the hardballr intake is really the only option for intakes unless you want to use a pi intake with adaptors but then your injectors would be moved away from the cylinder, if Im not mistaken, and it makes the motor less efficient. I really like the idea of 330 cubes but theres a reason not very many people do the swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online