5.0kid's build thread! with story!

5.0kid

Reaction score
Well i decided to start one of these again since I actually thought of taking a couple pics today. I only had my phone, so pic quality isn't great, but still pics nonetheless.
First, here is the story of my mustang:

I started out with my love of mustangs when my dad purchased a 1999 cobra convertible, red with a black top and a 5 speed. He bought it brand new when I was 9 and even though I could already not fit in the back seat, I loved taking rides and dreamed of one day driving it! Even though my dad really enjoyed the mustang, he got rid of it in 2002 or 2003 (before I could drive it :( ) to buy a new minivan for the family...

By the time I turned 14, I was really interested in cars, but no one in my family actually had any experience working on cars except for oil changes and breaks. Even though I had my heart set on a mustang, my dad would not let me buy a mustang cause he didn't want me driving a sports car. He had a friend at work with a 95 mitsubishi mirage for 500 dollars with 75k miles on it, just had busted bumpers so I bought that. I had my fun with it and put a body kit on it (even though I hate ricers now lol) and drove it for a couple years till I turned 16 and a half:
24473460029_large.jpg

After that year, I traded it for my sister's jeep since it gets twice a much gas milage and the jeep was not the best driver:
24473460085_large.jpg

I had the jeep for about 4 months then sold it to buy another mitsubishi, this time a 95 mistubishi eclipse gst, automatic. This was the first car I actually did any motor work on and I switched out the turbo, put a bigger intercooler on, and some other odds and ends. The problems with that car was it blew through front tires soo fast, it was an automatic, and it was never that reliable so after about 9 months with it, it was time for a change!
26525890021_large.jpg

Now came the mustang!!! After having the turbo mitsubishi, my dad finally let me buy a v8 car, and I bought this car when I was 17 and have had it the last two years or so. I only have one pic of it, besides the engine right now, but it now has bullit wheels instead of the cobras and will be lowered very soon!
30634950001_large.jpg

It was completely stock except for the cobra rims and I bought it from my friend's aunt and cousin. Drove three hours to his family's farm and right after I paid for the car, I try starting it and nothing happens! We were able to push start it, thinking it was the starter at that point and drove it back to KC. A couple days later, we found out it was the fuel pump after filling the tank. So my first modification to the car ended up being a 255 walbro fuel pump.
After that first modification, I decided I wanted to start modifying the car and learning how to work on cars with this. That's also why I bought a 5.0 instead of a 4.6 cause I thought it'd be a better start for learning for me. I bought a set of windsor jr heads, an explorer gt40 intake, and a tfs1 cam for my first real engine modification! After installation, however one of the valve hit the piston and bent just enough for it to stick open, so I decided to go ahead and build a 306 for the car. First engine build of mine ever, and I sold the windsor jr's and bought a ready to be put together (all machine work done) 306 with a holley systemax kit minus the intake. I built that motor and stupidly forgot to put the oil pump drive shaft in, so that along with my oil pressure gauge not working correctly, I blew that motor after 400 miles.
After I blew the 306, I found a shortblock 347 for sale, and sold the heads to buy it. I bought some hydraulic lifters for it (nonroller block) which ended up being a bad idea. I also purchased some heavily ported windsor sr heads, a bigger cam, and a ported holley sytemax intake. You can look at pics of that build in my last thread. The lifters link bars came apart on me on two of them and I decided to go with a stock roller block. Everything the same, I got the engine back home this afternoon with the machinist putting everything together. So here are some pics of the engine going in and a modification list of everything done to the car so far. sorry for the crappy phone pics:
its all empty in there!
30634954002_large.jpg

nice clean engine!
30634954003_large.jpg

30634954004_large.jpg

30634954005_large.jpg

finally in :)
30634954006_large.jpg

modification list:

engine:
347 stroker, eagle kit with keith black flat tops
86 roller block clearanced for stroker
King bi-metal 3/4 grove main bearings (were going to be speed pro tri, but jegs sent wrong set)
clevite h-series rod bearings
all ARP hardware
heavily ported windsor sr heads
ported holley systemax 2 intake
custom bullet brand camshaft
edelbrock 75mm fox throttle body/spacer
home made cai

drivetrain:
rebuilt t-5
will be getting pro 5.0 shifter next summer
RAM aluminum flywheel
zoom clutch
3.73's still to be put in (was driving to get them put in when blew the 306 lol)