5.0L or 4.6L - Which One?

turion94

Reaction score
Here is a comparison of two iconic engines. Being SN95 owners we all share the same chassis. Question is which engine do you think is better and why?

This would be a good thread for everybody to give their 2 cents and experiences.

* The 5.0L was built for 30 years and was one of Fords most dependable engines.

* The 4.6L was chosen to take the torch up until recent.

I have heard stories about 4.6l being costly for repairs but I personally have never owned one. I like the 5.0l because it has a certain twang to it and so far hasn't left me stranded! (Fingers Crossed) :grin:

Opinions welcome but don't hate just debate. :thumbsup:

5.0L

engine_zps24432642.jpg

4.6L

m-6007-t50ea_zps367d1e5b.jpg

OP
OP
T

turion94

Reaction score
I know right? Just play along. This could be EPIC! :p

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
they usually are. there was a while where these threads were immediately locked down. lol.

time to remind the mod-staff why ;)

I prefer the sound of the 4.6. additionally the 4.6s have OBDII interface. finally, i'm simply more comfortable working on the 4.6....

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
The 4.6 is a more fuel efficient engine lol..... 5.0 sounds better..... 4.6 likes power adders better.... 5.0 gets nasty N/A builds....

Me personally I'll take a 5.0 OHC :)

OP
OP
T

turion94

Reaction score
Yea that's why I said debate not hate. This thread could be good information on both sides of the border. The new coyote proves phrases like 5.slow is in the past. That's one sick N/A engine!

I get compliments all the time on my exhaust. Nobody knows I just cut the mufflers off and have the stock cats. That's just the sound of the 302 H/O.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
4v > 302 > 2v in the sound department... but that's all personal preference.... i like the "exotic" sound the DOHCs can create....

the 302 with an H pipe gives that classic musclecar sound.... mmm m love me some of that!

Wichers123

Reaction score
The 4.6l only because its a better motor as design goes.. Ohc will always be a better design. Efficienty is better. Less work for more power..

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Push rods are just old. If you want to hit 300+ rwhp with the 5.0, you can pretty much forget it without some kind of FI or nitrous. The block is limited to about 500 hp anyway, unless you like driving around a ticking time bomb. There's a reason why ford upgraded our cars to the 4.6L modular. The 4.6L have been time tested over and over to be stronger. Overall, the 4.6L is a very smooth running engine. Simple things like a head swap can produce more power. Hitting 300+ rwhp is easy to do without power adders. They like to rev. They like boost. ODBII. etc etc.

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
Thats a tough one. Personally i prefer the way 4.6's sound over 5.0l. but thats just probably because i owned a foxbody for a while. haha I just think they all sound the same, but as far as performance goes... I would much rather have a push rod than a mod. They make more power, parts are easier to come by and a lot cheaper but on the other hand i do like walking on bolt on 5.0l's because 4.6's get a bad rep. So i enjoy being the under dog with my little 2v. haha

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I like the sound of the 4.6 better, but being a poor college student, a 5.0 would have been nice. More power for less money.

sn95jones

Reaction score
I've had more problems with 5.0's than my 4.6's I've had two of each and one 5.4.... I know the 5.4 isn't in this discussion but that one has shown it's dependability to me :p:-D
Anyway I'd choose a 4.6 any day over the 5.0 as stated earlier from another member it's a push rod motor, I love the OHC idea far more and the way it sounds is way more tasteful IMO. Anyone can hear a 4.6 coming, you hear a 5.0 and your mind starts to go crazy wondering Wtf is it.

All in all 4.6 FTW they may have shitty timing chain guides but **** they didn't use them in the Crown Vics for nothing

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Push rods are just old. If you want to hit 300+ rwhp with the 5.0, you can pretty much forget it without some kind of FI or nitrous. The block is limited to about 500 hp anyway, unless you like driving around a ticking time bomb. There's a reason why ford upgraded our cars to the 4.6L modular. The 4.6L have been time tested over and over to be stronger. Overall, the 4.6L is a very smooth running engine. Simple things like a head swap can produce more power. Hitting 300+ rwhp is easy to do without power adders. They like to rev. They like boost. ODBII. etc etc.
Ha. Wrong.. You can make 300+ faster and cheaper with a old push rod than a 4.6 N/A or boost..
Every one makes a big deal about the block. When half the people worried about it. Won't ever even get close..

GT Rob

Reaction score
5.0 it's got that old-school factor. And parts are everywhere. I don't know shit about 4.6 but I also like how they could with the right exhaust

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ha. Wrong.. You can make 300+ faster and cheaper with a old push rod than a 4.6 N/A or boost..
Every one makes a big deal about the block. When half the people worried about it. Won't ever even get close..

I've saw so many threads all over the place that people have created asking how to get to this "magical" number of 300 rwhp on the 5.0. Most folks reply and suggest: heads, cam and intake. Then of course, all the supporting shit too, like the TC, lifters, pushrods, etc etc. How much would all of that cost, honestly? A set of GT40s and a used blower kit would get you there easier, and probably cheaper too.

miss.mod.50

Reaction score
4v > 302 > 2v in the sound department

oh it's on now....... :nono: hahahha joking joking

i like the 'challenge' of the mod motor. i'm learning as i go and repeatedly told by many people how dumb i am for my 2v build. like Ninety8stang mentioned it's sort of the fun being the underdog......and for me victory will be that much sweeter when these guys get whooped up on by a chick with a 2v :tongue:....well hopefully anyways. def cheaper to make power out of the pushrod stuff as it's been out there forever and has more test time and aftermarket behind it.

kissrocksforever

Reaction score
Personally, I prefer having a 5.0 because of how cheap everything is for them. Not to mention they`re tough. If I could have an OBDII 302 I`d be happy lol.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Mod's are a tad harder to do certain things on, like heads, but overall working on them really truly is a breeze. I can have a stock manifold off in next to no time at all. Can have spark plugs changed in 10min or less, just all around a NICE motor to work on... Until you start talking about headers lol... But even so I think I'd rather have a OHC over pushrod. BUT my second Mustang (if I ever had one) I could see building a nice 351 for it