5.0L or 4.6L - Which One?

Win

Legend
Reaction score
That does sound pretty good! It would be an interesting race. I find it hard to believe that engine in that tank would walk on my car. :bs:

What were the specs on it? :eek:ccasion14:

.40 over stock block shaved e7's f or x letter cam cant remember it was laying around the garage. crane 1.7 ported stock upper and lower. LT's or pipe into flow 10's ... It was literally a 250 dollar rebuild with a friend just to see what we could do... Had a set of 410's also... So yeah it would run,... Also have to remember a regular cab short bed was only 4100 lbs :)

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, but at what cost? The 4.6 out of the box threw down numbers that people paid thousands of dollars to get the 5.0 to do.... AND also had the advantage of better technology. Not to mention, the 4.6 has more power per liter, but also it has better MPGs.
Unless your talking about a DOHC.4.6 good luck getting 300 cheaper than a 5.0..

OP
OP
T

turion94

Reaction score
.40 over stock block shaved e7's f or x letter cam cant remember it was laying around the garage. crane 1.7 ported stock upper and lower. LT's or pipe into flow 10's ... It was literally a 250 dollar rebuild with a friend just to see what we could do... Had a set of 410's also... So yeah it would run,... Also have to remember a regular cab short bed was only 4100 lbs :)

Sounds to me like you built a nice sleeper for cheap. Nice truck bro! :headbang:

Just my 2 cents, but I like the idea of doing more with less. So the 4.6 was right for me. There's a ton of room for improvement in all aspects of its performance (same with the 5.0). I'm always passively looking for a 4V too. My favorite engine of all time is the F20C that came in the Honda S2000. It made ~240hp from a naturally aspirated 2.0 liter motor. At the time (and for the most part today) it was the highest HP per liter motor for any N/A production car.

If you are looking for sound: 4.6>5.0
If you are looking to mod: 5.0>2V>4V
If you are looking for the most technologically advanced one: 4v>2v>5.0
If you are looking for a show car: 5.0>4v>2v.

Why do you think a 5.0 is a better show car? Just curious...

OP
OP
T

turion94

Reaction score
Erm lets see here.. I got a 5.0, so obviously a 5.0? Nah but seriously. I love my 5.0, the fact that its the last year Ford used the 5.0 up until recently is extremely cool to me. . I really love the sound of 4.6s, no matter if its a 96 GT or a 04 GT, they sound awesome with aftermarket exhaust. My plans for my car are 300+ rwhp N/A through an automatic, I cannot fugging wait. Do I wish these 94-95 5.0s came with more hp from the factory, of course who don't? But you know what, they're decently priced for mods and really can become monsters if you do it the right way. Both the 4.6s and 5.0s are really good motors, strong and reliable, but if I had to choose between a 95 GT and a 96 GT, I'd go with the 95 all over again. But don't get me wrong, a 4.6 with an offroad X and SLP's or Borlas sound fuggin ridiculous. But at the same time, a 5.0 with an offroad H and MAC flowpaths like mine can rawr too. The 4.6 and 5.0s have their own significant tones, cons and pros. Shit I'd get an 04 GT and keep my 95 to have the best of both worlds lol.

Thanks for the comment the.5ohh, always appreciate your input man. :)

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Push rods are just old. If you want to hit 300+ rwhp with the 5.0, you can pretty much forget it without some kind of FI or nitrous. The block is limited to about 500 hp anyway, unless you like driving around a ticking time bomb.

Spunds like you know very little to nothing about pushrods.
breaking 300 is easy with now days aftermarket
Misinformation and lack of knowledge is bad around here.

466HP on 91 octane. 347 engine N/A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArLEms5Y8F0

500hp a ticking bomb?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cHyLT6MGgQ

ram360

Reaction score
Yeah, but at what cost? The 4.6 out of the box threw down numbers that people paid thousands of dollars to get the 5.0 to do.... AND also had the advantage of better technology. Not to mention, the 4.6 has more power per liter, but also it has better MPGs.

I had an 03 cobra and it made over 600 to the tire on pump gas. I drove the car daily in the summer and took several trips with it more than 600 miles w/o issue. Good car but parts were expensive as ****. Just to rebuild the heads on that 4v cobra was over $2,000 at the machine shop. All that technology comes at a cost. I could buy a hell of a nice top end package for a 302 all day long and make over 300 to the tire. Bang for the buck there is no way your dollar is going as far buying 4.6 parts as pushrod 5.0.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would say that the 2000 Cobra R 5.4 was the best and most impressive motor to reside in the engine bay of a production SN95 Mustang based on power, torque output and looks.
79084_Engine_Web.jpg

The Terminator 4.6 engine was a defining moment in mustang Performance in that it brought tons of power and tremendous torque to the pony car masses and "terminated" the Mustang vs Camaro debate once and for all. In terms of significance and importance, the Terminator V8 was a turning point in mainstreme mustang peformance for sure.
d6c8_3.jpg

As for the push rod 5.0's, they were dogs. The 5.8 Cobra R motor was not bad though.
mump_1004_08_o+ford_mustang_cobra+1995_cobra_engine.jpg

I beg to differ.

http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/1999/1999_00015_04.shtml

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Spunds like you know very little to nothing about pushrods. breaking 300 is easy with now days aftermarket Misinformation and lack of knowledge is bad around here.

That was a blanket statement. I've heard many people say that anything 500+ and you're running on borrowed time with those things. This type of thread always ends up going the same way. There's some people that will say you'll split the block instantly once you crank it over at 500+ hp. Others will say it will last for a while but will eventually fail. Then there's some that swear up and down that they've done it for years with no issues and it's rock solid. It really depends on the quality of the build, how often it's driven and how hard you beat on it.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score

4V engine breakdown:

4 valves
2 Cams in EACH head
2 HUGE heads.

5.0 breakdown:

1 Cam.
2 little heads
2 Valves

Any questions? LOL

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
That was a blanket statement. This type of thread always ends up going the same way. There's some people that will say you'll split the block instantly once you crank it over at 500+ hp. Others will say it will last for a while but will eventually fail. Then there's some that swear up and down that they've done it for years with no issues and it's rock solid. It really depends on the quality of the build, how often it's driven and how hard you beat on it. I've heard many people say that anything 500+ and you're running on borrowed time with those things.

Its all in the tune
I wish MODO came around often.

OP
OP
T

turion94

Reaction score
What's up Javi! I see you're parting out your stang. You getting another one?

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Stock for stock..

I , Pick the four point six

* Sent from tapatalk while sitting on the toilet at work*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
STANGFLOYD

Members online