5.4 ?????

atrainsgt

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. That does look factory. I like those blue fuel rails. I was running a first glance total on the price of my parts for the engine build and its looking good at this point.
I figured any machine work on the block can be done for under $400.00
Then forged pistons and rods, $900 on the high side.
Now I just need a cheap engine.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Pretty much, keeps all that oil out of your TB, plus it's easy to see if you have excessive blow by or anything too. Some people just use Fram fuel fileter's inline, the clear spiffy ones, but I wouldn't do that. It get's all saturated and won't allow anything past.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
so a catch can huh... kinda like a big pcv filter lol.

Yep.. that's my own design. The one on my car is a version-3 which is 1 rev old. I make a version-4 and a version-4sc now that have some improvements. Many companies sell an undersized copy of my version-1 design. I wouldn't own one of those... I updated the design for a reason. If you see rubber hoses, steer clear. Teflon core braided and some rubber core braided lines are the only ones that haven't collapsed on me.

Price is ~150 shipped but if you get 2+ people together I can work a deal. That's my cost passed on to you. I make no profit.

I use a brass coil mini pre-filter as well as a 3/8" inlet separator with 5 micron filters. They're very effective. I also use only real braided steel covered lines and aluminum, brass and steel AN, NPT and SAE fittings. My filters usually need to be emptied every 500-1000 miles depending on how you drive. I also offer multi stage kits.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Haven't you ever taken the TB off? It's gross in there without a catch can

voidfinger

Reaction score
J.R. said:
Haven't you ever taken the TB off? It's gross in there without a catch can

yea... mine wasn't that bad. had a little bit on it but the worse was inside the intake... it had a thin layer on the bottom

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
so sorry to bring this thread back up but i have a 00 f150 engine with 150K miles on it for really cheap localy...
if im going to rebuild it anyways should i worry about the mileage?
thanks guys
timothy

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
not even a little bit.

FWIW, a .020 overbore is a really good thing. It helps unshroud the intake valve. Use H-series bearings for longest engine life.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
yeah the guy is really hooking me up with the complete engine but since its high mileage i wasn't to sure of what to do...
so ill talk to him after i get off work and see if he still has it for salee :)
i guess it would be a good idea to have the block machined before re-assembling it?

atrainsgt

Reaction score
Your doing better than me if you found 1 cheap. The ones around here are around $1000 with high mileage. I've been able to get real good buys on everything else for this car but the engines are hard to come by in my area I guess.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
:coolsmiley: i just got lucky...
he said it spun a rod bearing and says he doesnt think there is any damage to the block
if i tear it down and there is then im not out of that much money and i get everything besides a block :p

OP
OP
J

josh0092002

Reaction score
just a random thought again, is there any company that has or a way to stroke a 5.4? :hammer:

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Offset grind the crank and use smaller rod's with custom pistons, wouldn't be very advantageous though.

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea it wouldn't help that much b/c the 2v heads are already hard pressed to get the air in the 4.6 thats why you need stage 3 heads... might be better for a 4v but then the rpms wouldn't be there b/c the long rod.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
there's a 5.8L and a 6L kit that both rely on stroking. Don't bother on 2v or 3v. Ok on 4v but a sleeved block set up for 351 inches is easier to come by and costs about same and can make more power with the wider bore and properly setup heads including larger valves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online